News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Sigma Seven can destroy your hardware!

Started by Devilmarkus, 14:01, 16 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

You definitely can't destroy the CPC monitor with any strange CALLs. It's a lot more robust than you'd think and anything the CPC can send out the monitor connector is well within the limits of what the monitor can handle. As for damaging the floppy, I've never looked into it, but it may be possible to force the head to a position that would scratch or misalign it. There's definitely nothing else inside the CPC that you can damage with dodgy CALLs, higher voltages aren't possible, higher frequencies might cause malfunction, but only until you reset the machine and all other settings are either hardwired or stored in the ROM which you can't permanently change with software.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

My most liked CPC command is CALL DEVIL  :angel:
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Leonie

Quote from: Trebmint on 11:33, 22 June 10
There definately were killer pokes for the CPC.
I typed in an ACU type-in, and when ran the machine reset. I was so annoyed I hit the desk too hard the monitor fell backwards, pulling the CPC which looped up and caught me a glancing blow on the chin. Alas Suzy the CPC never worked again and I had to buy a 6128+

So killer pokes... a very big yes

A long time ago, I destroyed a C64-Disk with a needle.
My friend owned a C64, and I was jealous of the better animation in "The Real Ghostbusters" (compared to the CPC-Version).
So I destroyed it at a favourable moment......an original-copy!
Cold-blooded murder......still a cold case!

So killer pokes...a very big yes! (at least on the C64)

Cholo

CALL &DEAD dosnt do anything either.

But at least Rufus C imagined how it could happen in his program (mag 49, birthday tape with Shinobi Demo) named "selfdest"  ;)

Longshot

The hercules protection was claiming about the drive destruction against piracy
And the protection was a little bit bugged...
In some cases (because of interruption enable), the original version was attempting to destroy the drive  >:(
When i had cracked this protection, i'd ran the "drive destruction" (a bad call... ::)).
I'd switched off the cpc immediatly when i'd heard the bad noise of the head bumping the last track limit fastly.
As far as i remember, i've known after this "accident" some days where my drive was not working perfectly.

About hardware "Killer pokes", it seems (according to some Cpc Plus experts  :D) that it would be possible to kill a cpc plus. Especially when using conflict access to some registers by the asic register and old compatible "out" access to the same functions.
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

remax

Quote from: Cholo on 19:05, 23 June 10

But at least Rufus C imagined how it could happen in his program (mag 49, birthday tape with Shinobi Demo) named "selfdest"  ;)

Oh my god, it has turned my 6128 into a 464! What a killer poke  ???
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Quote from: Cholo on 19:05, 23 June 10

CALL &BLTR? CALL&256K? :D

OCT

Quote from: OCT on 20:12, 18 June 10Actually there was an invaluable sequence of OUTs that could often revive 3" drives which would sometimes keep reporting an error (not sure whether it was disk missing or read fail) - I'm far away from where my decades-old notes on this should be, but somebody should remember/retrieve and document these commands already?
It's been a long time since I posted this question, without having found access to the answer again (that we should secure before it's buried in time):
Which was the sequence of OUT commands to bring 3" drives back to life from clicking noises and read errors without further need for physical repair?
I know it's not a myth but worked on at least 2 drives I rescued that way in the 1990s.