"3.5 inch USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator 1.44MB": Could this be a Poor Man's HxC?

Started by OCT, 21:16, 19 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: TFM on 16:33, 20 March 14
Well, there is only the retro market. In these days no computer has a floppy disc any longer.  ;)

Mouaarff  :laugh: .
Please visit the hxc showroom, i hope that you will understand  ;) .

Token

hervemessinger 20 mars 2014 à 13 h 22 min
Just be patient, the ST & CPC version are incoming ;) . The sources will be released once all is stable enough.
(Depending of my "real" life aganda, the ST version should be there in more or less a week and the cpc version will follow.)

:D

KaosOverride

Yes! Great news!!!

Anyway it has been very fun to play with the original firmware to load IBM formats, and also one of the winners of this quest is the ability to save with USB floppy drives.

The scene wins one way or another :)
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

pelrun

I'm too impatient to wait for his source release (and it bugs me that every one of these projects I've found has just a .hex and no source) so I'm writing my own anyway. Kudos to him regardless if he comes out with a CPC version like he says.

(...yeah, I just needed an excuse to break out my STM32 development kit and get hacking. I'm an embedded dev who isn't currently doing it as a day job, so I need to keep the practice up.)

KaosOverride

The source will be released as HM says, but let him time to "clean" it. Sure we all have been in that situation sometime  :laugh:

Then, anyone that can patch the source for new options or optimization will be wellcome, and you are used to SMT32, sure you will like to play with it ;)
KaosOverride · GitHub

Munchausen

Quote from: H.M. on 22:27, 22 March 14
.. TIC .. TAC .. TIC .. TAC..  ;D

SOOO COOOOL :D :D

Cant wait!

KaosOverride

That's great H.M.!!!!

How is the state of the firmware?? Is suppose you are loading true .DSKs now. What about weird formats?

I must thank you your work, because of it I have been playing with the 720k version and learn many things of the IBM CPC format :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

SyX

Quote from: H.M. on 22:27, 22 March 14
.. TIC .. TAC .. TIC .. TAC..  ;D
Cut the red wire!!!! ... and let us try the bomb... with parados support :P

KaosOverride

A good .DSK interpreter should not need to be done "PARADOS" specific. Sure will be PARADOS friendly ;)

And if not, then thanks to the source code released anyone can help  :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

Kris

Still no confirmation that .DSK are read directly from the USB ?

SyX

There is no written confirmation, Kris, but it´s implicit that the DSKs are working, in other case the author would not have uploaded those screens to the forum, he must be fixing the last bugs before he feels that he can make available the first version.

There is a lot of info in the comments in his blog, but browse around near 400 comments is not easy, although he has answered every question put there. A week ago, their plans were publishing the ST version in a few days (if his real life let him enough time) and then center his efforts in the CPC version.

Of course, i´m sure that if the CPC community show more interest, we will get the CPC version sooner. Having more options available will be always a win and i´m sure that with this or the HxC + the future DDI-1 clones + the future RAM expansions will get more use of floppy and 128 KBs software. 

KaosOverride

I'm with SyX. There's no sense publishing a Gotek drive with no .DSK support. For DSK to PC-IMG conversion and use under Gotek 720ks drives you have my other method  :P

I trust H.M. is already working with .DSK images, even at beta/alpha level or whatever...
KaosOverride · GitHub

Kris

Quote from: KaosOverride on 16:28, 30 March 14
I'm with SyX. There's no sense publishing a Gotek drive with no .DSK support. For DSK to PC-IMG conversion and use under Gotek 720ks drives you have my other method  :P

I trust H.M. is already working with .DSK images, even at beta/alpha level or whatever...

This is what I do for a while but i'm tired with conerting .DSK to .IMG (even if it works very well ;) ).
THanks for the feedback, I will have a look at the HM blog now.

Token

Come on, it will support DSK. :)
Question is, where's the secret lab?Atari ST first? With ST and MSA supportCPC of course!!

Gryzor

robcfg

SyX

The "Still Raising" picture is already in the official blog with the text "Work in progress ;)" and in one of the last comments the author says the ST disk image selector program is done (except, of course, fixing the bugs that will be found) and he only needs to finish the write support in the firmware for the ST.

In the moment, the ST version is published, the countdown for the CPC version will start to run faster :)

Kris

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Neil79 on 02:04, 08 May 14
Can't wait, HxC is such a rip off and nowhere near the uk :(

LoL ! ! !

But wait what ?

The HxC can be found in uk. And anyway Lotharek is far nearer to you than these chinese resellers.
The HxC is supporting hundred of machines and formats without any firmware modification or hacking...
If you want something reliable and working since years and with a true support it's the way to go.  :)

Here is an recent example of a CPC guy getting a working solution in less than a week:
http://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=100&start=465#p25423

So for you 59 Euros is a rip off for such device and services ?
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=114
you want it for free maybe ?

HxC rulez since 2006 and that's all  :P ;D
There is no point with these dumping devices... ( Dumping (pricing policy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Bryce

Quote from: Neil79 on 02:04, 08 May 14
Can't wait, HxC is such a rip off and nowhere near the uk :(

You have absolutely no respect for the amount of work and dedication that has gone towards giving us a reliable, flexible, low cost replacement for our 8-bit computers with constant "live" support to the community. If you think that the few Euro difference makes the Chinese product a better choice, then you need to look at the entire picture and not just the price tag.

Bryce.

MacDeath

I have to agree with Bryce.

those HxC are expensive but it is a well known and reliable technology with a real support from the builder.

Those chinese plastic toyz on the other hand, we struggle to get them to work on old machines.

Also it is good to support European productions. :)

To equip a whole collection of many retromachines with HxC may be not financially suitable, but still to have one as external solution is great.

dcdrac

I agree with Bryce and DevilMarkus the HxC works well I am thinking of getting another in a case to use to save the drives on my cpcs getting worn out faster