News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

3" drive dead?

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 02:00, 27 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Hi guys, me again! xD

So the drive belt arrived for the 6128 plus, and fitted it, but now i've run into a world of problems.

Sometimes the disks read ok, sometimes they throw errors, and sometimes they won't even cat. I'm not sure if the disks are just old as hell or if the drive is knackered. Is there anything else I can check here? Sadly I don't have another 3" drive to test this on so I'm out of luck there.

All suggestions welcome, as always. =)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Audronic

Do you have a Parados rom Fitted ??
Can you run |CPM, if so then disckit2 or 3 can check disks.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Audronic on 05:42, 27 April 17
Do you have a Parados rom Fitted ??
Can you run |CPM, if so then disckit2 or 3 can check disks.

Hi Ray,
No Parados as of yet, strictly AMSDOS for now until C4CPC arrives.
I did run disckit to attempt to both verify and format a bunch of disks, all of them have failed.

Now it could be a bunch of old disks that are just crapping out, but I don't like those odds, lol.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Audronic

OOOps forgot.
Is the disk drive head clean.
Speed check on drive .dsk below

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Audronic on 06:25, 27 April 17
OOOps forgot.
Is the disk drive head clean.
Speed check on drive .dsk below

Ray

Hey Ray,
Yep, cleaned the head twice, there wasn't any traces or black residue on the cotton bud either time.

I'll give that .dsk image a shot now and report back. =)

Shaun M. Neary

Apologies for the delay @Audronic.

Nice program by @Bryce. RPM speed is telling me between 296.14 and 296.39 when I flick between tracks.
Not sure if that's standard or not.

Update: 295 and 294 on some of the disks it won't read at all.

Bryce

Eh, that program isn't from me.

If your are having problems with the drive slowing too much on "sticky" discs, try adjusting the RPM up to about 305 with a good disc so that sticky discs are still within the tolerances.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 14:30, 27 April 17
Eh, that program isn't from me.

If your are having problems with the drive slowing too much on "sticky" discs, try adjusting the RPM up to about 305 with a good disc so that sticky discs are still within the tolerances.

Bryce.

My mistake, Bryce. Apologies xD
I just adjusted it, it now varies between 305-309 depending on the disk. Is that too high?

Bryce

Actually anything between 290 and 310 should be ok, but you have to remember that the RPM tests don't show the real variance, so at 295, it could be dipping to 285 at times and you won't see this.
Have you definitely removed all the gunk from the belt wheels? Blods of gunk cause a sinewave "speed wobble" that the test won't see.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 14:52, 27 April 17
Actually anything between 290 and 310 should be ok, but you have to remember that the RPM tests don't show the real variance, so at 295, it could be dipping to 285 at times and you won't see this.
Have you definitely removed all the gunk from the belt wheels? Blods of gunk cause a sinewave "speed wobble" that the test won't see.

Bryce.

Definitely, went over them a few times until the cotton buds couldn't be blackened. The bigger white wheel didn't have a lot on it, but the gold plated smaller wheel was filthy. I can give it another going over. Some disks seem to be reading better at the higher speed, so I'm guessing I just have a mixed bag of discs...

Bryce

I've found that some of the older disks got very difficult to turn over the years and would cause errors even on a perfectly good drive. You can try loosening them up, but I had enough alternative disks so I never really tried.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:21, 27 April 17
I've found that some of the older disks got very difficult to turn over the years and would cause errors even on a perfectly good drive. You can try loosening them up, but I had enough alternative disks so I never really tried.

Bryce.

I don't think I even want to know the state of the attic these were stored in for almost 20 years... xD
Not sure how to loosen a disk. I'm assuming it's something like slamming them off a table top or something? Maybe throwing them against the wall... that's where I seem to be headed.  :laugh:

Bryce

I was thinking more in the direction of some lubrication between the white centre disk and the outer casing. Wall slamming is a method I reserve for iPhone "repairs" :D

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:34, 27 April 17
I was thinking more in the direction of some lubrication between the white centre disk and the outer casing. Wall slamming is a method I reserve for iPhone "repairs" :D

Bryce.

Hah, stop! I stopped after the iPhone 3GS once they started making the screws smaller.  :laugh: :laugh: