News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[GX4000/Plus] Analog joystick port

Started by MacDeath, 12:41, 01 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Octoate

Quote from: nocash
> tested it with the Arnold Diagnostic cartridge
Whew, you can run code on the cpc plus?
Yes, since some years. I checked all ROMs from the WinApe download page and they work without problems after I converted it to RAW ROM data.

Then how are chances that you have a multimeter? Would be nice to know the potentiometer values (in ohms) on the three "boundaries" at ADC values 00h/01h, and 1Fh/20h, and 3Eh,3Fh.
Only one multimeter ;)? Ok, I have one. So you mean that I shall check the poti values of the joystick in min / middle / max? I will check it tomorrow.

Btw, I remembered that I built a joystick adapter for analogue joysticks for my PC years ago. I connected it to the CPC and it works without any problems, too.

UPDATE: Couldn't wait until tomorrow, here are the values of the joystick

x-axis: left = 0 Ohm, middle ~ 62k, right ~ 126k
y-axis: left = 0 Ohm, middle ~ 62k, right ~ 126k
--

arnoldemu

I took apart my pc joypad and took a load of pictures. I will upload them soon.
It is made by "Honey Bee" and is marked PC-18.
But it's rebadged as competition pro joypad.

Inside there are 2 ICs. I took photos of all of it.. so it'll be interesting to know what I can use to modify it to work. I know it'll give me digital values probably but interesting to know what it does.

Also, I'm currently taking photos of my Sinclair lightgun. So pictures will be up on wiki in the next few days. I am planning to convert it to use with CPC+, and if possible make it compatible with the cpc too (dual connectors).

Over the next few weeks I plan to photograph most of my cpc equipment and put pictures up on the wiki. Don't think I have anything special, but extra photos in reasonable detail always helps.

EDIT: I also have a multimeter :) , but no oscilloscope  :(
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

nocash

> x-axis: left = 0 Ohm, middle ~ 62k, right ~ 126k
> y-axis: left = 0 Ohm, middle ~ 62k, right ~ 126k

Whew. Interesting. Up to now (according to official specs/schematics), we were assuming that right/bottom-most should be circa 180K, but if you get 3Fh with 126K... then it seems to be ways smaller.

The above values are just the joystick values, regardless of the ADC values? To test relation between ohms and ADC hex values, best would be to use a normal poti (not the joystick ones, which tend to get pulled back to the center position).

Ie. stick two nails or wires into the pin1 (gnd) and pin3 (x1) holes, attach the poti to them, and turn it from 0 to 200K ohm. And each time when the ADC changes from 00-to-01, and 1F-to-20, and 3E-to-3F, unplug it from the CPC and measure what ohms it has... Maybe a bit complicated, but should be the best way.

X1 and Y1 both have 126K, but ADC values are still different... 3Fh, and 38h? Strange.

> Btw, I remembered that I built a joystick adapter for
> analogue joysticks for my PC years ago. I connected
> it to the CPC and it works without any problems, too.

You have made an analog-to-analog converter for PCs? ;-)

Or did you mean a digital-to-analog converter - and it works on both PC and CPC? Wouldn't have thought that that could work. No matter if you used chip or transistors... I'd have believed that it can't work :-) how did you do that?

Cu, Martin

Octoate

The above values are just the joystick values, regardless of the ADC values? To test relation between ohms and ADC hex values, best would be to use a normal poti (not the joystick ones, which tend to get pulled back to the center position).
Ok, I had a quick measurement with a poti again (I only had a 470k poti) and got 0 Ohm (left), 50k (middle) and 138k (right) for both channels.

X1 and Y1 both have 126K, but ADC values are still different... 3Fh, and 38h? Strange.
Maybe this was just because I never used the analogue stick port of my Plus before or the joystick wasn't used for a long time and couldn't get the max value.

> Btw, I remembered that I built a joystick adapter for
> analogue joysticks for my PC years ago. I connected
> it to the CPC and it works without any problems, too.
You have made an analog-to-analog converter for PCs? ;-)
Maybe this was just a bit misleading :). I just built an Y-cable to connect two joysticks to my PCs gameport and this Y-cable works fine on the CPC, too.
--

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:48, 15 March 10
I took apart my pc joypad and took a load of pictures. I will upload them soon.
It is made by "Honey Bee" and is marked PC-18.
But it's rebadged as competition pro joypad.

Inside there are 2 ICs. I took photos of all of it.. so it'll be interesting to know what I can use to modify it to work. I know it'll give me digital values probably but interesting to know what it does.
http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/pad_half.zip

My games. My Games

nocash

> Ok, I had a quick measurement with a poti again
> got 0 Ohm (left), 50k (middle) and 138k (right)
Cool. Thanks!

Hmmm, 0, 50, 138 doesn't sound too linear. Guess then, even with perfectly matching pots, the center isn't at 1Fh/20h exactly. The joystick "link" from arnoldemu (see a few days ago), said that "common" values in PC joysticks are 100K, 120K, and 150K.

If that's true, then all of them should be working fine on CPCs, except that 100K and 120K won't reach 3Fh, so one would need some calibration at software side.

> before or the joystick wasn't used for a long time
> and couldn't get the max value.
Or maybe vice-versa, now that the contacts have cleaned, you can't get the "max" value anymore :-( :-)

>> You have made an analog-to-analog converter for PCs? ;-)
> Maybe this was just a bit misleading :). I just built an Y-cable
Okay, now I understand. Should work on CPC as well, as long as the two button common pins are correct. And, I bet PC cables don't have the button diodes, without them, if you press 3 buttons at once than the 4th button would probably get "pressed", too.

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:35, 09 March 10
spot on. I'm going to bid for it. Please everyone let me have it for 0.99p ;)
I'll then test it with my CPC+ and if it works fine, I'll write some code to use it in a new game..
I won it, now waiting for it to arrive.
So I am now planning a game to use it.
My games. My Games

dragon

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:34, 17 March 10
I won it, now waiting for it to arrive.
So I am now planning a game to use it.

With lucky i have one tomorrow. It appears new unused  10e. With box, I have very lucky.

At finish you made the game support it?.

arnoldemu

Quote from: dragon on 11:42, 25 July 16
With lucky i have one tomorrow. It appears new unused  10e. With box, I have very lucky.

At finish you made the game support it?.
Not yet.

One will be coming soon.
My games. My Games

PulkoMandy

Hi,
I just confirmed the Logitech Wingman Light is compatible with the Plus.

As an interesting feature it has two sliders for hardware calibration. I can get it to show values between 0 and 3B. Center value is somewhere around 2B (so not exactly linear).
It also has a switch under it, but I have no idea what's the use for it.

Anyway, this one may be easier to find than original Amstrad/Schneider joysticks.

TFM

Not bad, max. values of hardware is &3F, so &3B is good.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dragon

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:14, 28 July 16
Not yet.

One will be coming soon.

Well at finish i not have lucky. I have the joystick, it works. But as if  the joystick was properety of bender, the  metal pale is blend.

I need a blacksmith ;D

CraigsBar

Ok Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread..

But I have just received a Boeder P-7 Analog Joystick.

this works perfectly with the plus. Tested with Tennis Cup and FutureOS

I am not supprised as it clearly came out of the exact same factory as the Amstrad PC analog joysticks being identical except for the logos.

Just thought I§d let you know.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode