News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[PLEASE READ] GX4000 with original power brick and C4CPC

Started by gerald, 21:04, 16 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Gryzor

Was it really necessary to upload the actual video here?

journey

Hi all,

I'm waiting for GX4000 (with scart) + C4CPC.
In my house here in Italy i've found this power supply:

220v 50hz
Power: 18W
DC output (with switch to): 1,5-3-4,5-6-7,5-9-12V (set to 9v, ok?)
DC 1000mA

It's ok?

Thanks for your reply

1024MAK

Quote from: journey on 13:22, 15 April 16
Hi all,

I'm waiting for GX4000 (with scart) + C4CPC.
In my house here in Italy i've found this power supply:

220v 50hz
Power: 18W
DC output (with switch to): 1,5-3-4,5-6-7,5-9-12V (set to 9v, ok?)
DC 1000mA

It's ok?

Thanks for your reply
First check the polarity, then check it again. Even better if you can test it with a multimeter. Getting the polarity the wrong way will cause damage to your GX4000.

This sounds like an unregulated power supply unit. It may well be okay, but I suggest you try the 7.5V setting first, as the actual output voltage is higher than the indicated voltage when less than the full load current is being used.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

journey

The polary is switchable. Ok so i'll try the 7,5 first
The Power Supply is not stabilized, it is a problem?

1024MAK

Quote from: journey on 15:04, 15 April 16
The polary is switchable. Ok so i'll try the 7,5 first
The Power Supply is not stabilized, it is a problem?
No, this should not be a problem, as the GX4000 has internal regulator chips.
Try using the 7.5V setting first. If it works okay, great. The only downside, is the switching voltage for the SCART may be too low. But the output voltages from unregulated (non-stabilised) units varies, so it is difficult to predict.
If it does not work okay, try the 9V setting. Again, if it works, great.
Do NOT use the 12V setting, as the internal regulator in the GX4000 will then run too hot.

Mark

gerald

Quote from: 1024MAK on 16:21, 15 April 16
No, this should not be a problem, as the GX4000 has internal regulator chips.
Try using the 7.5V setting first. If it works okay, great. The only downside, is the switching voltage for the SCART may be too low. But the output voltages from unregulated (non-stabilised) units varies, so it is difficult to predict.
If it does not work okay, try the 9V setting. Again, if it works, great.
Do NOT use the 12V setting, as the internal regulator in the GX4000 will then run too hot.

Mark
7.5 is the working limit of the internal LM7805. It may not work as expected but there is no risk damaging anything.
However, in addition to the polarity, if you have different plugs TRIPLE check that you select the right one : 5.5x2.1mm .
It should go into the power plug just behind the SCART port and you should not be able to put it in the other port. If it plug there, than it's the wrong one, and you may put the 9V supply in the 5V input.
The result is a dead GX4000 and if the Asic is damaged there is no way to fix it.

journey

[attachimg=2][attachimg=1]now i'm just a little worried...  ???
This is my Power Supply

chinnyhill10

Quote from: journey on 12:20, 16 April 16
[attachimg=2][attachimg=1]now i'm just a little worried...  ???
This is my Power Supply

Dislike that. Having that multiway connector is a surefire way of killing your GX4000 by having the voltage set to 9v and then accidentally plugging the wrong connector into the 5v port.

How do I know? I did it myself back in the 90's with a similar adaptor from Tandy!

Also no way to verify the quality of that PSU. Generally with multi voltage adaptors the output power varies depends on what voltage is selected. I don't really like using them with retro gear. One mistake and wave goodbye to your kit.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

dragon

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:49, 16 April 16

Dislike that. Having that multiway connector is a surefire way of killing your GX4000 by having the voltage set to 9v and then accidentally plugging the wrong connector into the 5v port.

How do I know? I did it myself back in the 90's with a similar adaptor from Tandy!

Also no way to verify the quality of that PSU. Generally with multi voltage adaptors the output power varies depends on what voltage is selected. I don't really like using them with retro gear. One mistake and wave goodbye to your kit.

Thats the result of use these chinese type adapters :

fried ram
fried gate array
fried crtc
fried rom.
File:AmstradCPC464 Z70375 MC0044D GA40010 PCB Top.jpg - CPCWiki

Is my motherboard result when i put the yours with other name in it in the 80/90. The 464 can be repaired easly the gx4000 not, if asic die it die.

I buy a good 30e adapter and I very happy with it is not hot as the chinese, and is totalle stable voltage. An i have a lot of amperers free.

brizio

This is what I found on the Italian RS Components website: ECP-11-9E | Alimentatore da parete Switching RS Pro 9V cc, 1.22A, 1 Output, 11W,

It is the same one that was suggested in one of the first posts of this thread. It is not cheap but looks good quality and perfect fit for Italy!

Fabrizio

Phil Smith

Hi I'm interested in obtaining a C4CPC cart. I do have a 9V 1A adapter with a positive connection. I use it for my Atari 2600. It's a cheap one from china. Looking at previous posts one people seems to be buying costs about £15. Is it worth buying one, am I risking frying my GX4000 with a cheap adapter?

gerald

Quote from: Phil Smith on 12:34, 30 July 16
Hi I'm interested in obtaining a C4CPC cart. I do have a 9V 1A adapter with a positive connection. I use it for my Atari 2600. It's a cheap one from china. Looking at previous posts one people seems to be buying costs about £15. Is it worth buying one, am I risking frying my GX4000 with a cheap adapter?
Regarding the PSU quality, you are not taking more risk with the GX4000 than with the Atari  ;) . The GX4000 has internal 5V regulator, the 9V is only use on the SCART switching signal.
But isn't the Atari using a mono jack connector ?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phil Smith on 12:34, 30 July 16

Yes. Just read the posts above. Save a few quid on an adaptor and risk repairs or even replacing your hardware.

And you run the risk of burning your house down. The insides of those cheap adaptors are often a mess. I found one that had been assembled from recycled components that had been in other PSU's. Rubbish.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

1024MAK

The quality of plug in power supply units / mains adaptors varies a lot. If you got it from eBay or Amazon or simular and it was cheap, it is likely to have been manufactured to a price, so quality and safety will have suffered. Some cheap ones I got (to examine to see how bad they were) from eBay had substandard isolation between the 240V mains voltage and the low voltage output. The quality of the components was poor, and the construction was poor as well.

So only buy from well know suppliers in your own country. If you buy an item on eBay from overseas, you are responsible for making sure it is safe, not the supplier. And if it is not safe, the quality of the rest of it is not going to be good either.

Mark

Phil Smith

Quote from: gerald on 13:35, 30 July 16
Regarding the PSU quality, you are not taking more risk with the GX4000 than with the Atari  ;) . The GX4000 has internal 5V regulator, the 9V is only use on the SCART switching signal.
But isn't the Atari using a mono jack connector ?

The adapter came with an mono jack adapter. Take that off and it fits into the GX4000. I won't try and power it on. I will stick with its original 11V power supply now until I buy a C4CPC. I will try to find an original replacement Atari supply for my VCS and avoid using the cheap china one.

Thanks

Phil Smith

ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switched Mode

If I bought this adapter could I use it with my Atari 2600 with my existing mono jack adapter? I will probably get shot asking an Atari question in this post. Just thinking killing 2 birds with one stone rather than killing 2 systems with one plug!!!

1024MAK

Quote from: Phil Smith on 15:50, 30 July 16
ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switched Mode

If I bought this adapter could I use it with my Atari 2600 with my existing mono jack adapter? I will probably get shot asking an Atari question in this post. Just thinking killing 2 birds with one stone rather than killing 2 systems with one plug!!!
If the mono jack adapter when connected to the 2.1mm power jack plug results in the correct polarity, I don't see why not.

Mark

Audronic

@gerald

The C4CPC has just arrived here In Williamstown Australia 22-August-2016.
I would like to say that the Package 1 C4CPC Card, Micro SD Card and adapter, plus warning card was well packed and arrived in good condition.
You have done a  wonderful job with this project.
I will be testing it over the next few days.
Well done. ;D

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Skunkfish

Mine just arrived in work within the last hours or so, looks like a tidy and well-engineered piece of hardware. Information sheet looks useful with the DIP switch settings, it's a shame they don't make DIP switches marked 1, 2, 4, 8...

Looking forward to fitting in my 3D printed case tonight and having a play!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

gerald

Quote from: Skunkfish on 13:30, 23 August 16
it's a shame they don't make DIP switches marked 1, 2, 4, 8...
I would love too, and in the right order 8,4,2,1  ;)

1024MAK

Quote from: gerald on 16:16, 23 August 16
I would love too, and in the right order 8,4,2,1  ;)
If you pay them enough money, I'm sure one manufacturer would do it for you  :P .

Mark