News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[PLEASE READ] GX4000 with original power brick and C4CPC

Started by gerald, 21:04, 16 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Quote from: onofrix on 15:38, 04 August 15
Do you think i can use the snes/nes power supply for the gx4000 with c4cpc?

NO!

The SNES PSU outputs AC. You'll fry the GX.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

schombi

For whatever reason my GX4000 does not power up with the 1.5A PSU set to 9V. The next higher value is 12V and here everything works. Is that too high?

By the way, my GX4000 has one power connector only (2.1mm, the one I´m using). The left one is blanked off.

gerald

Quote from: schombi on 19:16, 05 August 15
For whatever reason my GX4000 does not power up with the 1.5A PSU set to 9V. The next higher value is 12V and here everything works. Is that too high?
12V is OK, but the 5V internal regulator will have to dissipate more power.
When you say the GX4000 does not power up, are you sure that's not just the TV that does not switch to the scart/RGB input ? Can you force it ?
9V may be too weak for the TV to detect the commutation signal.

Quote from: schombi on 19:16, 05 August 15
By the way, my GX4000 has one power connector only (2.1mm, the one I´m using). The left one is blanked off.
Interesting. Do you have the DIN connector ?

schombi

Thanks Gerald.

No, with 9V not even the LED on the GX4000 turned on. I believe my console is from Spain.
[attachimg=1]

gerald

Quote from: schombi on 20:46, 05 August 15
Thanks Gerald.

No, with 9V not even the LED on the GX4000 turned on. I believe my console is from Spain.
[attachimg=1]
That's really strange. The led is powered by the 5V regulator, after the power switch.
Is it working well with 12 V ? If so I am wondering if your power supply is really providing 9V on the 9V setting. Do you have a multimeter to check ?

According to the photo, you have the 5V input, just remove the rubber if you want to use it  ;)

Bryce

I'd say his PSU isn't supplying what it says. Measure the actual voltage under load, I bet it's way off.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 21:37, 05 August 15
I'd say his PSU isn't supplying what it says. Measure the actual voltage under load, I bet it's way off.

Bryce.

Multivoltage PSU's often don't supply the same amount of amps throughout the voltage range. The higher you set the voltage, the lower the amp rating will drop.

That's why fixed voltage PSU's are always better. You know exactly what the output will be (well if it's not some Chinese deathtrap anyway)
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

That's the difference between "up to" and "@" on the specs. The proper way to state the power is in VA.

Bryce.

ImpaledGryphon

Quote from: gerald on 20:22, 21 July 15
GX4000 can be powered with either a 9V or a 5V power supply.
The 9V is the one you get (in fact it is 11V) by default with a GX4000, using the scart or modulator output. The 9V power (5.5/2.1mm) plug is the one close to the SCART plug
The 5V is only used when powered from a Plus monitor, using the DIN video output. The 5V power  (5.5/2.5mm) plug is the one on left when looking at the SCART plug.

The 464 only uses 5V (5.5/2.1mm) and you should not use the 9V on it.

So your question is far from being dumb  ;) , and the answer is no !

hi, i bought the recommended rs psu for my gx4000 but for the cpc 464 i'm now a bit confused

you say the plus monitor provides 5v on a 5.5/2.5mm plug but then say the 464 uses 5v on a 5.5/2.1mm plug is that right because i do have a 5v 1amp psu with a 5.5/2.1mm plug so will that power my 464 using a cool novelties amstrad 464 scart cable and is 1amp enough or should i get a higher ampage one?

Bryce

One amp (claimed = rarely fulfiled) is cutting it close. It might manage to power the CPC alone, but don't attach any expansions. It might also have problems loading tapes.

Bryce.

dragon

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:16, 05 August 15

NO!

The SNES PSU outputs AC. You'll fry the GX.

Many many years ago when i was child(and ignorant :D). I friend gift me her spectrum 48k. we are in idiot mode and connect my snes transformer to the spectum. I remember the scene perfectly. spectrum on-> !!!!!!broommmmmmmm!!!!!. sound in the spectrum. Next i remember the big hole in the middle of the spectrum chip near the dc connector. And the keyboard connectors toaster. But yeah !!the speaker made sound with tapes!!. I never view the spectrum signal in the tv.

This day i learn snes adapter bad bad idea to other electronics.

Bryce

Quote from: dragon on 17:34, 18 September 15
Many many years ago when i was child(and ignorant :D ). I friend gift me her spectrum 48k. we are in idiot mode and connect my snes transformer to the spectum. I remember the scene perfectly. spectrum on-> !!!!!!broommmmmmmm!!!!!. sound in the spectrum. Next i remember the big hole in the middle of the spectrum chip near the dc connector. And the keyboard connectors toaster. But yeah !!the speaker made sound with tapes!!. I never view the spectrum signal in the tv.

This day i learn snes adapter bad bad idea to other electronics.

Yes, but if you still have the Spectrum I'll fix it :)

Bryce.

dragon

Quote from: Bryce on 20:07, 18 September 15
Yes, but if you still have the Spectrum I'll fix it :)

Bryce.

Oh trash have it years ago :( (idiot mode 3 jeje). But my favorite idiot mode is the four, taking my cousing with the third flour of her house full of dragons, and give me none and end all in the trash.

jajaja.

Lee stewart

would a 12v 500ma psu be too much for the console to handle?

Bryce

Quote from: Lee stewart on 15:38, 14 October 15
would a 12v 500ma psu be too much for the console to handle?

No, in fact it would be too little. The 12V wouldn't be an issue because there's a regulator in the GX4000 on the 11V input bringing it back down to 5V, but 500mA is not enough.

Bryce.

mickcris

nevermind.  see my question answered in the 1st post.

Neil79

Question :

I've recently purchased this for my Amstrad 464 Plus, is it ok to use this with a C4CPC?
AMSTRAD CPC 464 & 6128 + (PLUS MODELS) TV CONNECTION KIT - PSU ADAPTER & SCART |

Can I use that PSU with a GX4000 + C4CPC?
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CraigsBar

Quote from: Neil79 on 16:52, 02 December 15
Question :

I've recently purchased this for my Amstrad 464 Plus, is it ok to use this with a C4CPC?
AMSTRAD CPC 464 & 6128 + (PLUS MODELS) TV CONNECTION KIT - PSU ADAPTER & SCART |

Can I use that PSU with a GX4000 + C4CPC?
If you have a cm14 then yes. If you need to use the scart on the gx4000 then no, that needs to use the 11v supply
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Neil79

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:58, 02 December 15
If you have a cm14 then yes. If you need to use the scart on the gx4000 then no, that needs to use the 11v supply

I've got a scart cable, so I've ordered this for the GX 4000 + C4CPC

9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switch Mode, Plug In Power Supply, 1.22A, 11W

ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switch Mode,

;D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

gerald

That simple simple  ;D

If you use the GX4000 scart output, you need to use the 9V supply input. (5.5mm/2.1mm positive on center)
If you use the GX4000 DIN output (to a CM14 or a TV with adapter cable), you need to use the 5V supply input. (5.5mm/2.5mm positive on center)

Both power supply should provide at least 750mA.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Neil79 on 17:08, 02 December 15

ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switch Mode,

;D

Good to see people getting the message about paying extra for good supplies from RS. Last week I took apart some cheap 9v supplies for a future video and one of them contained wholly recycled parts including wires still attached! Soldering was so bad it looked like I'd put it together myself! On the outside it claimed to have all the relevant approvals etc but clearly was just rubbish.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Neil79

wow, that power supply arrived fast  :o

Only ordered it yesterday at 4pm!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Neil79 on 16:52, 03 December 15
wow, that power supply arrived fast  :o

Only ordered it yesterday at 4pm!

RS don't mess around. That's why the pros use them.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Neil79

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:21, 03 December 15

RS don't mess around. That's why the pros use them.

Indeed! Only down side can't find my bloody GX 4000 scart lead  :picard:

Can the Amstrad 464 Plus Scart kit work with it?

CraigsBar

Mine does not work with either 5v or 9v and the CPC+ scart cable no.

5v only works on a cm14
9v only works with a scart to scart cable
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode