News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[PLEASE READ] GX4000 with original power brick and C4CPC

Started by gerald, 21:04, 16 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Hi,

I have a GX4000 and am getting a C4CPC.

I have a Megadrive-compatible PSU - 9V 1.5A + outside. Will this be fine or is the amperage too high?

(Oddly enough my Atari 2600 PSU is 9V 500mA + inside - so clearly that cannot work!)

Bryce

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:38, 28 September 16
Hi,

I have a GX4000 and am getting a C4CPC.

I have a Megadrive-compatible PSU - 9V 1.5A + outside. Will this be fine or is the amperage too high?

(Oddly enough my Atari 2600 PSU is 9V 500mA + inside - so clearly that cannot work!)

The Megadrive PSU has the wrong polarity. The GX4000 has the + on the inside.

Bryce.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Sheesh, I misread the first post...

Luckily I have a 9V 1A negative on outside too! That should be fine.

ukmarkh

Hi,

Sorry to re-ignite this old post, but it's power brick and GX4000 related.

I purchased an RS 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switched Mode Power Supply, Plug In Power Supply, 1.22A, but unfortunately this doesn't want to power my GX4000, with or without my C4CPC inserted. The GX4000 powers fine from my Amstrad Plus monitor, has anyone experienced this as the above was actually recommended from the Wiki.

I suppose it could be a faulty adapter, but just wanted to confirm as I bought it a few months back and have only just got around to trying it out.

Thx

Mark

gerald

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:26, 14 September 17
I purchased an RS 9V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switched Mode Power Supply, Plug In Power Supply, 1.22A, but unfortunately this doesn't want to power my GX4000, with or without my C4CPC inserted. The GX4000 powers fine from my Amstrad Plus monitor, has anyone experienced this as the above was actually recommended from the Wiki.

I suppose it could be a faulty adapter, but just wanted to confirm as I bought it a few months back and have only just got around to trying it out.
Can you check that the PSU is working fine : multimeter or some other device powered with 9V ?
It can also be that the internal 5V voltage regulator of your GX4000 is dead and luckily does not let the 9V pass through.
That can also be checked with a multimeter :
- open the GX4000 to access  the power switch (which is doing the switch after the regulator).
- plug the 9V supply (checked working) on the 9V power input and check that you have 5V on one of the 2 pins of the power switch.

ukmarkh

Quote from: gerald on 20:26, 14 September 17
Can you check that the PSU is working fine : multimeter or some other device powered with 9V ?
It can also be that the internal 5V voltage regulator of your GX4000 is dead and luckily does not let the 9V pass through.
That can also be checked with a multimeter :
- open the GX4000 to access  the power switch (which is doing the switch after the regulator).
- plug the 9V supply (checked working) on the 9V power input and check that you have 5V on one of the 2 pins of the power switch.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, the GX works perfectly through the old Plus monitor, so not sure if this helps, unfortunately I don't have a multi meter to hand to check, I think I have a spare GX4000 somewhere, if I find that I will plug in and test, failing that I'll pop into Maplins, literally a stones throw away from where I live and ask them to check for me or sell me a multi meter.   

Turboman

I'm in the US and I just got a GX4000, I have not plugged it in yet. What kind of power supply should I use? Can I use a 9v 1A with 110v? or should I get a power supply from the UK that has 220v and use my step down converter?

pelrun

Only the output voltage matters, so use anything convenient that provides 9-12V DC and more than 0.5A, and has the right polarity on the tip.

Mikebloke

Just got my C4CPC from Gerald  :)

Thought I'd wing it with finding any old multiadapter to replace my original PSU.

Read this topic.

Buying a PSU from RS.

I can afford to wait one more day  ;D

asra

hello!

it seems like the recommended PSU has been disontinued.
The replacement recommended by the website is this one but it doesn't have much in the way of stats that I can see:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/1753315/

Is this one ok too?
I'm sure people buying newer batches will appreciate.

TIA!

tjohnson

If you are in the UK something like this will do it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/HW-120100B12W-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-UE110331DGHW01-R-WHITE/dp/B07D1174TB.
I think best to get 2.4mm tip as that stops you inserting it in the 5v hole.

gerald

Quote from: tjohnson on 09:04, 19 October 18
If you are in the UK something like this will do it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/HW-120100B12W-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-UE110331DGHW01-R-WHITE/dp/B07D1174TB.
I think best to get 2.4mm tip as that stops you inserting it in the 5v hole.
You mean 2.1mm tip  ;)

tjohnson

Quote from: gerald on 17:10, 19 October 18
You mean 2.1mm tip  ;)

I thought the 5v hole was smaller than the 11v hole?

gerald

Quote from: tjohnson on 18:56, 19 October 18

I thought the 5v hole was smaller than the 11v hole?
The outer diameter is identical (5.5mm), the inner pin is 2.1mm on the 11V plug, 2.5mm on the 5V plug.
So you cannot plug the original PSU (11V) on the 5V port (try to push a 2.5mm pin into a 2.1mm hole  ;) )
And 5V on the 11V will not work, but will not harm either.

mulciberxp

Hi all. My first post. I recently got a GX4000. I've been reading through this thread and I'm seeing that this is the power supply recommended for running the GX4000 + C4CPC. My question is, does anyone foresee any issues with running that through a voltage transformer like this one, since I'm in the US?

tjohnson

Is there really no 9v psu available in the US ? Seems extreme buying a UK psu.

RevQuixo

Quote from: tjohnson on 09:04, 31 October 18
Is there really no 9v psu available in the US ? Seems extreme buying a UK psu.

I just bought this one from Amazon US as it is exactly the same model number as one listed in an earlier post in this thread at RS (in the UK)

https://www.amazon.com/Phihong-PSC12R-090-Wall-Adapter-Interchangeable/dp/B004BF7L8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1541252107&sr=1-1&keywords=Phihong+PSC12R-090

Seems to meet all the criteria.

siccoyote

Found a loose gx4000 used a 12v 1.5A Middle Positive PSU on it and it worked fine.

Just got my Boxed one out and it has the original PSU, thinking I should just forget using it.

LTronic

Hi there,

Getting a looose GX4000 through mail tomorrow.
Could some French people suggest a working/tested power supply from amazon.fr for GX4000 compatible with C4CPC ?

Also, I can't find on the forum where to purchase the C4CPC, am I blind or too tired ?

Thank you very much !

gerald

Quote from: LTronic on 19:43, 23 September 19
Could some French people suggest a working/tested power supply from amazon.fr for GX4000 compatible with C4CPC ?
Can't help, not buying from amazon ;)
Also, I can't find on the forum where to purchase the C4CPC, am I blind or too tired ?
Not stock ATM, I can contact you back when its available.

LTronic

Quote from: gerald on 20:45, 23 September 19
Can't help, not buying from amazon ;)Not stock ATM, I can contact you back when its available.

Yes, please PM me when available again (any ETA ?)
Any other EU based provider for compatible power brick (I need one anyway) ?

dragon

Hi there,

Thank you very much !

I use these adapter with the plus range. So it should work in the gx4000 and old cpc range.

It have a great amperaje, polarity selection, voltaje selection (with a crystal inserted externally  in the power supply).and multiple connections, so is valid to all cpc even with expansions.

But i buy it in amazon.es.

It have 5v 5.20A for the cpc. 6v.7v.8v,9v,10v,11v,12 all with 5A.

https://www.amazon.fr/NIMO-Adaptateur-Secteur-Universel-R%C3%A9glable/dp/B00AWU9QX0/

kriz

HI all :) reading up on this topic, and since i just got my first GX4000 i am on the lookout for a new psu.. The one from RS posted earlier have gone out of production it seems, anyone know an affordable psu with an euro plug available now ? Thanks alot all :) (A simpler version than the one posted above would do fine, no need for many switches, will be used for the gx exclusively :) )

kriz