News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[PLEASE READ] GX4000 with original power brick and C4CPC

Started by gerald, 21:04, 16 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

There's a serious lack of technical (in fact ANY) details on that page.

Bryce.

kriz

Yeah I agree, but i ordered it and will check it out.. But I agree the lack of details gets me abit worried ..

TotO

Prefert a 2.1mm +9V regulated output power supply for this price... (i.e. electric local shop or amazon)
Worst when it's wrote that is your fault if your good quality GX4000 may burn with what is looking to be a cheap molded adapter.
:-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

kriz

Yeah I agree on that, seems even more sketchy wheni read it again now .. Btw: I try to just search for " 2.1mm +9V regulated output power supply" but i get too many results is there any just to be recommended ? With Euro plug would be best, I really need to get my electrical skills sorted but I am not so skilled in this area (not the best when you are into retro computers lol) ... Thanks for the input TotO ..

kriz

Got the psu adapter i mentioned earlier now, but the sticker showing its voltage and information have been remove, you can still see the sticker residue left from where it was before.. I asked the company about this and this is the reply i get is that i should not worry: it will work, about what voltages it is he would not answer ...

But the psu adapter is very lightweight and without any sticker and no ce cert markings i think it could be hazardous to use .. Check it out please: What do you guys think, should i look for another one ? Anyone can supply a link ?

TotO

simulant have an account here (and other places) for his retro-business, so he can explain why he his selling chines rubbish without any EU conformity and you have to trust and deal with that.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Quote from: kriz on 17:38, 06 November 19
Got the psu adapter i mentioned earlier now, but the sticker showing its voltage and information have been remove, you can still see the sticker residue left from where it was before.. I asked the company about this and this is the reply i get is that i should not worry: it will work, about what voltages it is he would not answer ...

But the psu adapter is very lightweight and without any sticker and no ce cert markings i think it could be hazardous to use .. Check it out please: What do you guys think, should i look for another one ? Anyone can supply a link ?

Eh, it's illegal to sell it then. He removed the sticker so that you can't do a search on Aliexpress where it's probably available for under €1. Send it back.

Bryce.

siccoyote

Just checking before I plug my GX4000 in again and try my C4CPC that just came, thanks Gerald.
I have previously been using this to play Burning Rubber (my only game)

Talking with my dad who's got a working history with electronics and he is saying that 12v is too much"If 12v just goes to the 7805, and 500mA is going through, that means the 7805 will have to dissipate 3.5W. That's a fair bit. Would need a big heat sink."So he thinks that you really need a 9v PSU and going higher is riskier.But he has 0 experience with the GX4000.

siccoyote

Had a play with it with the above adaptor tonight.

It got pretty hot above the 7805.

I've ordered a multi-adaptor so I can do it at 9vhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017OMEW4QShould come tomorrow so hopefully this will make it run a bit cooler

geebus

Hi @siccoyote , I've just been reading through this entire topic (including the hilarious back and forth about static discharge etc etc) and the consensus has been from most people NOT to use a variable PSU as they rarely give out the correct voltage. I'm not talking from any experience what so ever, just regurgitating what I've read on here.
I'm looking at getting a new PSU for my newly acquired (yesterday evening) GX4000 as it came with a Euro 220v adapter rather than the UK one. From what i've been reading, I should probably get a new one anyway.
To everyone else; will this "replacement" for the previously linked adapter work ok? Or will the 2a output fry the gx4000? I have no clue about how amps are used within circuitry, but hoping to learn.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/1753309/

Bryce

To clear up a few things: @siccoyote : Your dad's right. The 7805 has to "get rid" of the extra voltage between the input and output voltage (7V difference). The 7805 does have a certain amount of overhead that it needs to be stable (usually about 2V or 3V above the output voltage) so it wouldn't work with a 6V supply, so the most efficient supply for a 7805 would be about 8V. His math's are also correct: Power = Current x Voltage (P=IV) The extra 7V x 0.5A = 3.5W. With the 9V supply the 7805 would only need to sink 2W of excess energy.

@geebus: Amps are like beer at a party. Just cos you have 100's of litres of it, doesn't mean you have to consume it all (or at least you shouldn't). The amps on a PSU tell you what it can supply, the circuit decides how much it's going to take. So theoretically you could use a 50A PSU on the CPC, but there is an associated risk with doing this. The CPC rarely needs more than about 2 or 3 amps and the traces on the PCB are sized accordingly. If you are using a 3A PSU on you CPC and one of the RAMs gets a short circuit (a common occurance), then the CPC will pull as much current as possible (3A in this case) and the RAM chip will get hot, normally no further damage should occur. However, if you were using a 50A PSU and a short occured, then the current could theoretically rise to 50A (in reality other factors would limit this) and you would fry all the traces off the PCB, something that is extremely difficult to repair.

So much like the beer at a party. Make sure there's enough at hand, but don't over do it. :)

Bryce.

geebus

Quote from: Bryce on 13:52, 11 November 19
@geebus: Amps are like beer at a party. Just cos you have 100's of litres of it, doesn't mean you have to consume it all (or at least you shouldn't). The amps on a PSU tell you what it can supply, the circuit decides how much it's going to take. So theoretically you could use a 50A PSU on the CPC, but there is an associated risk with doing this. The CPC rarely needs more than about 2 or 3 amps and the traces on the PCB are sized accordingly. If you are using a 3A PSU on you CPC and one of the RAMs gets a short circuit (a common occurance), then the CPC will pull as much current as possible (3A in this case) and the RAM chip will get hot, normally no further damage should occur. However, if you were using a 50A PSU and a short occured, then the current could theoretically rise to 50A (in reality other factors would limit this) and you would fry all the traces off the PCB, something that is extremely difficult to repair.

So much like the beer at a party. Make sure there's enough at hand, but don't over do it. :)

Thanks Bryce. That is exactly the way to tell a Scotsman something. Comparing it to alcohol.
Now I know!

geebus

This looks like (to the untrained eye i must add!) a good replacement for everyone, using RS online. Just need to add the specific prong type that they have listed too.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/1361325/
Anyone tell me otherwise?
A little more pricey than I was expecting, but better than frying the GX4000!

kriz

remax

Quote from: Bryce on 13:52, 11 November 19
If you are using a 3A PSU on you CPC and one of the RAMs gets a short circuit (a common occurance), then the CPC will pull as much current as possible (3A in this case) and the RAM chip will get hot, normally no further damage should occur. However, if you were using a 50A PSU and a short occured, then the current could theoretically rise to 50A (in reality other factors would limit this) and you would fry all the traces off the PCB, something that is extremely difficult to repair.

that's one thirsty board!
Brain Radioactivity

Bryce

Short circuits are as thirsty as it gets. Limited only by the thickness of the copper connecting the two poles. Bangs, smoke and strange smells then tell you that the PSU is winning.

Bryce.

remax

Quote from: Bryce on 14:10, 10 December 19
Short circuits are as thirsty as it gets. Limited only by the thickness of the copper connecting the two poles. Bangs, smoke and strange smells then tell you that the PSU is winning.

Bryce.

Yeah, i know that, that was just a way to jump on your "beer at a party" analogy  :D
Brain Radioactivity

Bryce

Ah, I forgot I'd written that above, so the joke went right past me. :)

Bryce.

ultrasteve

I was using a 9V supply with the standard SCART to SCART connection and the C4CPC. I'm interested in getting one of Duke's Imperium Solo adapters, but he tells me I need to power via 5V.

If I got a Retro Computer Shack PLUS RGB DIN to SCART and Power cable, and used a 5V 2A PSU, do you think that's suitable to use with the GX4000, C4CPC and Imperium Solo all at the same time?

gerald

Quote from: ultrasteve on 13:37, 02 March 20
I was using a 9V supply with the standard SCART to SCART connection and the C4CPC. I'm interested in getting one of Duke's Imperium Solo adapters, but he tells me I need to power via 5V.

If I got a Retro Computer Shack PLUS RGB DIN to SCART and Power cable, and used a 5V 2A PSU, do you think that's suitable to use with the GX4000, C4CPC and Imperium Solo all at the same time?
5V 2A is way more than needed (550mA max for a GX4000+C4CPC, and the IS sould be in a couple of 10mA). 
So there should not be any problem !

siccoyote

I do with they'd labeled the two power sockets on the back, cheap Alan, I've stuck sellotape over the the other hole.

strykr

Hi all,

So is there a definitive decent quality replacement for the RS one thats been discontinued?
into 80s music? Try this :) https://247retro.bandcamp.com/

tjohnson

strykr

Sorry for being a bit crap tj? But can someone link me to the correct one on rs or farnell?
into 80s music? Try this :) https://247retro.bandcamp.com/

gerald