News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

2xYM2149

Started by arnoldemu, 14:10, 25 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:53, 28 June 10
@TFM: there's a multi-quote function above every post mate, so that you don't need to post multiple replies for each post you quote...

Yes, thanks, I've seen it, but this way is easier, it's also easier the quote for the next one.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:17, 28 June 10

Yes, thanks, I've seen it, but this way is easier, it's also easier the quote for the next one.

Yes, but it messes up the thread. Please use the multi-quote function, that's why it's there.

MacDeath

Just to perhaps launch a poll : would you be interested by an extension Soundcard featuring an additionnal AY and perhaps some additionnal memory ?

also has anyone tried the extension card described in the book with the 2nd AY ?

Would you support such stuff in your productions ?

Of course as said above, you can still put a MP3 card per exemple...
But getting a second AY is interesting in that it is completely compatible with all the existing Amstrad Library, but also Speccy 128, a few MSX and Atari ST.

Such card would perhaps only feature a FPGA, a Memory (RAM...perhaps Flash-ROM too ? just 1 or 2 chips would suffice IMO), a microcontroller to manage it betterly (just need to see how FPGA would do too...lots of models) and connectics (a socket for the FPGA too)... and a pair of small basic components to certainly.

This would be a basic RAM/ROM box + the additionnal AY...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Instrument_AY-3-8910
QuoteThe chips are no longer made, but a declining stock is still obtainable   for servicing vintage machines. A VHDL   equivalent description has been written, for use in FPGA recreations of arcade machines and others like those   mentioned above. The VHDL source code is available on the Internet, and   compiles to fill about 10% of a Xilinx   XC2S300 FPGA.

If it only use 10% of this FPGA, it may be implemented in relatively cheapest (and smaller) FPGA.

But it needs a better investigation just to see if this is realitic, cost-wise...

steve

If you were to do this, maybe you could add some of the features of the plus ula to the FPGA, also there is a single 32 pin chip that contains 512KB ram and a RTC both have battery backup, so the memory is non-volatile and would simulate "writeable" ROMs, it could be an alternative to loading tapes every time, oh, and you might as well put in a lightpen socket for completeness.

MacDeath

Actually, getting an additional AY or another Z80 is not that hard (FPGA's are so powerfull nowadays...), but knowing what a next gen Amstrad has to be---be... ???
Especially as a 1 chip computer...

Not that simple. (nor economical...but we have to ask/see ?)

The ASIC (+ ACID) is not that hard to undrstand, yet...
Also, the ACID part is soo.. well... and ASIC 's too...
forget about it.... only 25 games in overall...

On the other hand, we all know the Amstrad needed not that much to be on top, as a pseudo PC Cga+ & better... or a 8 bit Atari STE...

But more seriously, a FPGA based Amstrad Extention...

We'ld have to check...whether...(weather ?)...

I'm sure a well designed FPGA+Microcontroller card+memory... can achieve a "universal status... in CPC world.

Because of both components... you can re-design almost every thing... then get a re-programable "universal" extension.... (even more powerfull than the original CPU...easily...)...

So yeah.
What do we really want or need ???

Gryzor

I approve of where this is going.

Maybe team-up for a new Symbiface?

arnoldemu

Reality check. All this extra hardware is great *but* needs support.

2 x AY could have support from Arkos Tracker, this would then mean composing tunes by those who are less technical would be easy, and for programmers, they would just drop the player in with an appropiate detection routine (to check if the hardware exists).

The digiblaster has limited support and really could do with lots more extra programs that use it to really push it towards the must have extension.

The extra ram/rom is good, and already some hardware supports this, but still needs more support from programs that use it, and this is basically what the 64k/128k or more thread is really about.

A programmable cpc+ cartridge is great, and I would definitely get one and write programs for it.
But still, I would also like it so that the programs that were made for it, could also be put onto onto a real rom and put into a gx4000, 464+, 6128+ and run there.

I would see the programmable cpc+ cart as a great way to experience the existing games and also to develop new games.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource