News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

4-player adapter? // MultiPlay MX4 Expansion

Started by mr_lou, 11:36, 29 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Has anyone made a 4-player joystick adapter for standard CPC?

Or, a 2-player adapter for the expansion port (like the C64 has) + a Y-splitter for the joystick port, also resulting in 4 joystick inputs?

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:36, 29 June 15
Has anyone made a 4-player joystick adapter for standard CPC?

Or, a 2-player adapter for the expansion port (like the C64 has) + a Y-splitter for the joystick port, also resulting in 4 joystick inputs?

How exactly would a 4 player adapter work when the CPC only has a port, hardware and firmware for two joysticks?

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 12:52, 29 June 15
How exactly would a 4 player adapter work when the CPC only has a port, hardware and firmware for two joysticks?

If the C64 can do it, surely the CPC can too.

Some kind of board connected to the expansion port, giving 2 additional joystick ports.
Would require a set of RSX commands to use them from BASIC.

Amstrad CPC version of this: 4 Player Interface - C64-Wiki

arnoldemu

@ToTO: Your ideas are needed here ;)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Carnivius

I thought there was a video review of Gauntlet that said the CPC had trouble enough doing 2 joysticks?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

mr_lou

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:13, 29 June 15
I thought there was a video review of Gauntlet that said the CPC had trouble enough doing 2 joysticks?

I heard that too, but I also recall TFM saying something about it only being because the Y-splitter wasn't made correctly.
@TFM are you there?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:13, 29 June 15
Yes CPC does have problems unless you have a splitter with diodes. PLUS will be fine because it has the diodes.

My games. My Games

Carnivius

Oh cool.  Where can I get a splitter for 464/6128 with diodes?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

arnoldemu

From other thread:

Using CPC+ hardware sprites from BASIC?

Your best choice is to have specific hardware that connects into the expansion port to enable 4 joysticks.
The reading of this would be independent of the keyboard so no clash would happen.
My games. My Games

mr_lou

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:21, 29 June 15
Your best choice is to have specific hardware that connects into the expansion port to enable 4 joysticks.
The reading of this would be independent of the keyboard so no clash would happen.

We gotta have that!
And we also gotta have Y-splitters with diodes.

Next time I'll meet up with my mates for a retro-gaming-day, will be August 15th. So far we've only had multiplayer games running on the C64 and Amiga. It's about time the CPC joins in.  :)

Bryce

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:20, 29 June 15
Oh cool.  Where can I get a splitter for 464/6128 with diodes?

Eh... I know a great place full of CPC information, let's see if they have anything on it: Joystick Splitter - CPCWiki :D

Bryce.

Carnivius

Quote from: Bryce on 13:39, 29 June 15
Eh... I know a great place full of CPC information, let's see if they have anything on it: Joystick Splitter - CPCWiki :D

Bryce.

but...but...that's instructions about how to make one.  And I have no skills or tools.

KaosOverride

Recoding Caprice for the RPI to get 2 joy support, the idea of enabling 3 or 4 joysticks seems easy as the keyboard matrix is 10 select lines and 8 outputs. Coding the second joystick is the same as a thirth or fourth...

The joystick is just one of the select lines.The second joystick is other of the keyboard select lines. So there are other 8 lines for other 8 joysticks.

The hack will look dirty and ugly, but you need to take 2 selects from keyboard to feed the double Y splitter. Diodes apart, your splitter needs the 4 direction bits, fires and common 1 common 2 from the CPC joystick port, and common 3 and 4 from 2 wires from inside the CPC.

As a 4 player game let you freely redefine all keys, should work.
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

TotO

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:06, 29 June 15
@TotO: Your ideas are needed here ;)
I have shown a prototype board named MultiPlay at the ReSeT #20.
We have played to Megablaster and a simple but adictive four players tron game from Axelay, named QuadRaster!

The Multiplay prototype add 2 controllers connectors on the expansion port.
(CPC/GX or SMS/MD using two sliding switches)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 13:57, 29 June 15
I have shown a prototype board named MultiPlay at the ReSeT #20.
We have played to Megablaster and a simple but adictive four players tron game from Axelay, named QuadRaster!

The Multiplay prototype add 2 controllers connectors on the expansion port.
(CPC/GX or SMS/MD using two sliding switches)

Awesome! Where can we order one?  :)

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:08, 29 June 15
Awesome! Where can we order one?  :)
The board is not finalised, but will not cost more than 10€ if released.
I should try to merge it with the PlayCity... (in this case I will make an upgrade plan)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 14:32, 29 June 15
The board is not finalised, but will not cost more than 10€ if released.
I should try to merge it with the PlayCity... (in this case I will make an upgrade plan)

....."if released"?...
Sorry for sounding blunt, but why create it if not for release?

Well, I'd definitely buy one, although I'd prefer a standalone version, ie. not merged with PlayCity.

Bryce

So I assume your board doesn't use the spare Keyboard lines like KaosOverride just described?

@mr_lou: Have you any idea how many expansions I've designed and built for the CPC and other systems but never released them? :D This happens very often.

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:43, 29 June 15
....."if released"?...
Sorry for sounding blunt, but why create it if not for release?
It is a prototype for testing and see the real interrest abou it.
As I said, I should improve it before for merging features... (or release it like that, or both)
Too much boards for so few slots. ;)

Quote from: Bryce on 14:45, 29 June 15
So I assume your board doesn't use the spare Keyboard lines like KaosOverride just described?
It is true. Because the spare line is sadly not wired on PLUS.
I have made a try on the expansion port, using two buffers like done on videogames systems.

MacDeath

yes, saw it working...

can't wait for a 3-4 players Rampage game... with no keyboard clashes...

CraigsBar

I want one lol. Either with or without play city suits me.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 14:45, 29 June 15
@mr_lou: Have you any idea how many expansions I've designed and built for the CPC and other systems but never released them? :D This happens very often.
Well shame on you!  :)

Quote from: TotO on 14:56, 29 June 15
It is a prototype for testing and see the real interrest about it.
Well send it here, I'll test.  ;)
I want to make a 4-player game. I'm the ideal betatester. I have both CPC464, CPC6128 and CPCBryce+ (heavily expanded 464+ by Bryce)

MacDeath

Yeah, when it is time to get free cards by being a betatester, there are many volunteers, but when it is time to deliver productions to use those cards.... oops...
:laugh:

the card works well, it just needs games.  ;D

mr_lou

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:50, 29 June 15
Yeah, when it is time to get free cards by being a betatester, there are many volunteers, but when it is time to deliver productions to use those cards.... oops...
:laugh:

the card works well, it just needs games.  ;D
I will pay a good price for a complete board.
I also sometimes send money to developers just to support them, and would do it in this case too if I see any sign of it actually being produced.
But for testing something that might not be the finished product, yes that ought to be free.

As for producing games, I have enough experience to know not to promise anything, but I'm hooked on this idea, and we are working on the graphics as I'm writing this.

mr_lou

First of all though, I'm interested in having the hardware developers agree on a standard, so that future games only need to focus on one 4-player adapter.