News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

LowerROM Batch

Started by Bryce, 08:58, 10 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Sure, it's better to add a sticker on it if you don't put the board inside a box, like I will do. :)
But, I have tryed last summer to erase 8 chips during 3 days under the sunshine, and that don't work... Look to be not the same UV. :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Quote from: TotOJust received!   

Look really professionnal work.
Thank you very much, I will test that tomorrow morning.

(sorry for the photo quality ; It's my great blackberry)
It's.... so empty!

Got mine waiting back home, can't wait to get back and open it :)

Bryce

@TotO: Glad you like them.

@Gryzor: Has your package already arrived?!?!? That was amazingly fast!

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah, that was quite fast indeed, and I couldn't be happier.

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

Ahhh happy indeed =)

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 15:21, 02 November 12
Sure, it's better to add a sticker on it if you don't put the board inside a box, like I will do. :)
OMG! You put them into a coffin!?! What a waste. I have to cry now...
Quote from: TotO on 15:21, 02 November 12
But, I have tryed last summer to erase 8 chips during 3 days under the sunshine, and that don't work... Look to be not the same UV. :D
I did the same experiment with only one. It takes seriously longer than three days. But -hey- you've been warned ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:48, 03 November 12OMG! You put them into a coffin!?! What a waste.
So, I suppose that you have removed the mainboard of your CPC from the case to put it on the table with all the expansions, to look more geek?
Personally, I prefer to do the invert...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Yesterday I did it even with my keyboard. Took 2 hours to get it together again. Today I will do again :P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

As I have been too busy doing the 464+ Mod to update the LowerROM Wiki page, I've been getting a few enquiries of how to use it. Here's all you really need to know:

The 3 way jumper is the enable/disable switch for the LowerROM expansion. If it's on the two pins nearest the CPC then the LowerROM is disabled and the red LED will be lit. If it's on the two pins furtherst from the CPC the LowerROM is enabled and the green LED will be lit. If it's removed completely the CPC will just crash, so don't :)

The 2 pin Jumper right beside the EPROM chooses which of the two external Firmware versions is enabled. When the jumper is in place you have selected the first Firmware in the EPROM. If it's removed you are using the second Firmware in the EPROM.

Important:
- If you connect a ROMBoard/MegaFlash at the same time, the LowerROM MUST be nearest the CPC with the ROMBoard connected to the output cable behind it. The 50 output from the LowerROM Board is NOT the same as the 50 way coming from the CPC, so parallel cables from the CPC shouldn't be used either, the CPC will crash.
- If you are using any other device that can replace ROM 0 (including the MegaFlash), you should disable the ROM 0 on this device, otherwise, once again, the CPC will crash.

I'll add this info (with pictures) to the Wiki page as soon as I have time...

Bryce.

Gryzor

Thanks for the info; I guess it's not that difficult to realize most of it by oneself, but it's always good to have it straight from the horse's mouth (cue jokes about horses).

But why not actually print some of that on the board itself? I'm thinking about a few years down the road... I don't even remember seeing the board's name on this one (though I may be wrong)??

Bryce

The original batch was only a prototype run, which I don't usually add any text or labelling to. When the second batch was spontaneously planned I just re-ordered another prototype batch using the original files, so they are all text-less.

There's only two jumpers, so I think most people will manage to use it without text.

Bryce.

Bryce

Ok, I put some more info on the Wiki page and added a link from the DIY / Repair page (under ROM / RAM expansions).

Bryce.

HAL6128

Got mine... thanks to Bryce. Cool and cute stuff ..it is!  :D
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

KaosOverride

Any chance for a LowerROM and any MegaFlash???
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Bryce

@HAL6128: Glad you like it and also good to see that the small link cable is still long enough to fit into your MegaFlash box without any problem :)
I see that you (like me) use a V2V to convert the S-Video to VGA, gives a great picture (not so obvious in your blurred foto :D)

@Kaosoverride: I've sent you a PM.

Bryce.

HAL6128

Yes, the link cable fits very well. I'm thinking about a new box for combining both in one together. So the Lower-Rom-Board doesn't need to be separated from its "soul mate" any longer.  ;D
The V2V produces all in all good signal.
Some few (a handfull) demos or games won't produce the expected picture. Just for Example Edge Grinders screen is disturbed and Ghost 'n Goblins produces a black and white picture and during scrolling it will become colourfull?! Some colours combinations produces a black shadow near the font. But that's nothing!
With your (in-built) Video- and the V2V-Converter plugged on LCD 4:3 Monitor you'll get a serious and great working enviroment (less space needed like the original monitor). Even mode 2 is great to read / as sharp as the original color monitor (although two times more converted).
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Bryce

I have an S-Video output on almost every retro computer I own (around 25 computers at the moment I think  :o ) Really handy to be able to use them all on the same monitor (also a 4:3 LCD).
I haven't tried Ghost and Goblins on the CPC (it was my favourite C64 game, so I still only play it on a C64), but any effect that changes the refresh rates in the middle of the program is going to cause any up-scaler problems, not just the V2V.

Bryce.

genesis8

Hi,

is it still possible to get a lowerrom for a plain french 6128, and one for a french CPC+ ?

Bryce

Yeah, I still have a few, I'll send you a PM.

Bryce.