News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464+ Mod

Started by Bryce, 13:34, 08 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

The LCD screen is actually functional enough and it also has the advantage of looking nice and geeky. But the software option is so much easier to use!

TFM

I like the option to enable the CPC itself to control everything. Why?
For example a game can switch to another DSK (new levels f.e.) by itself, so it must not bug the user to "Change fecking irish disc please"[nb]Sentence taken from the game 'Feckin St. Patricks day in New Orleans'[/nb].
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Personally I prefer the LCD solution. I don't know of any software that can change the DSK on the HxC automatically like TFM mentions. Is there any? Even if it did exist, that would work independent of whether you used the LCD or not.

Bryce.

TFM

Check out the HxC ROM for the CPC, you should have it in your Megaflash.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

I have it already, but I wasn't aware that it automatically swaps disks for you!

Bryce

TFM

No, that's not what it does. But as you can use it to do that by hand, the same routines can be used in games, right?
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Yes, you could, but no-one has done it yet as far as I know. But it would also be possible even if you normally used the LCD.

Bryce.

TFM

My point was to enable software to switch the DSK file that is accessed, which can be done by the HxC driver software on the CPC side.
TFM of FutureSoft

TheCorfiot

Hi Bryce

Can you pls confirm that R29, 10K is needed as it's not listed in the wiki article.
According to the schems this is the asic option setting to enable the disc controller.

Cheers Buddy, superb thread.

TC  ;)

Bryce

Oooo, probably a mistake on the Wiki article. I'll check it out and edit the article :(

Edit: I just checked my notes and photos of the conversion. The reason I didn't mention R29 was because it was already present on the 464+ board for some reason. If your board doesn't have this resistor installed you'll need to add it. Can you check your board and let me know if it is there already?

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi,
     I've been asked for the pinout details for the Laptop Floppy drive which I modded above (and which never got installed anyway). The 26pin header on the laptop floppy drives are according to a standard, so the following file should be correct for most old shuggart laptop floppy drives. The two green columns in the sheet are all you need, the other rows are just for reference. Pins 6,7,9,11 and 13 on the laptop floppy connector aren't used by the CPC. Also, don't forget to connect pins 1,3 and 5 of the laptop connector to the CPCs 5V rail.

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi all,
      I've just finished playing loads of games on extensively testing Craigs 464+ which I've also converted to 6128+, however, Craig wanted a slightly different setup for the drives, so I thought I should document this version too. Craig wanted both drives to be external with an ABBA switch, so here's how it's done:

[attach=2]

The DS0 signal can be found on pin 4 of the 26way header. If you just want both drives external without an ABBA switch, then all you need to do is connect this directly to pin 9 (5th from the left) of the Centronics socket. In this case Craig wanted an ABBA switch, so I have cut pin 11 (DS1) so that I can swap the signals with a small switch. So DS0 source is pin 4 of the header, DS1 source is the PCB side of the cut pin 11. DS0 output is pin 9 of the Centronics socket and DS1 output is the socket side of the cut pin 11. The external cable is the standard Plus cable for 3.5in disks (as on the Wiki), but with two 34way headers and no twist (as found on PC floppy cables).

Bryce. 

CraigsBar

Ooh, really excited now. I have 2 3.5 inch drives waiting. Oh and an hxc and an fd1. This will become my main Cpc. Oh how such a short time my 6128plus with tape mod was king. Oh well 2 machines of same spec in different cases. Before packing back into the unblemished case I might even put a reset button in too.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Well it will need to be slightly blemished. You need to cut the hole for the floppy port like the 6128+ has and a small hole for the ABBA switch.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 08:24, 20 October 14
Well it will need to be slightly blemished. You need to cut the hole for the floppy port like the 6128+ has and a small hole for the ABBA switch.

Bryce.
oh indeed. But it's not going to go yellow by having 3 small holes cut in it. Reset & abba switches and drive port.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

No. If it hasn't gone yellow already, then it probably never will.

Bryce.

zhulien

Hi Bryce, what is the width of the tape unit cover on the 464+?  Is it wide enough to fit a MotherX4 board in that spot with the cards sticking out the top?

robcfg

Quote from: zhulien on 00:00, 28 January 17
Hi Bryce, what is the width of the tape unit cover on the 464+?  Is it wide enough to fit a MotherX4 board in that spot with the cards sticking out the top?

Hi, the tape lid is 11.8 cm long and 8 cm wide.

The MX4 is 8.4 cm wide (due to the power connector), but if you remove the tape unit completely, you may be able to fit the MX4.

zhulien

To me that sounds like a good idea, worth picking up a 464+ to mod... Might even be able to convert the buttons putting a sensor below them (unless they are physically part of the tape unit to be removed), eg: play button to be ROM enable/disable, another button for reset, then 4 more spare buttons for future use :D

||C|-|E||

The buttons are part of the tape unit, yes... you can have a look at them in this picture  :)

zhulien

looks like they could be taken off with some type of pushbutton below - so they would become extenders for cosmetic purposes - like the Amiga 4000 PSU button, but shorter.  Lots of space inside if you remove that tape unit. Did you add a disc drive plug to that?

Bryce

It could work, but I think it will be very difficult to mount them at exactly the right position and lined up unless you use at least some of the original tapedeck frame.

Bryce.

darkhalf

Great info in this thread and looking at doing this mod. Not sure if anyone has the hard to find chips available for sale. I found some on ebay/aliexpress

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/113748919765
Can confirm the ebay NEC chips work in the DDI1 boards I built a few months ago

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001968866175.html
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

darkhalf

@Bryce I'm running through the upgrades now. The list of parts is missing C99 (47uF 16V) from the Amstrad action parts list
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/464Plus_Conversion

CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

Bryce

Quote from: darkhalf on 09:43, 21 July 23@Bryce I'm running through the upgrades now. The list of parts is missing C99 (47uF 16V) from the Amstrad action parts list
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/464Plus_Conversion

Yes, C99 was added by Amstrad Action, but I'm not sure why. It doesn't exist on a real 6128+ and the system works fine without it. Maybe just being extremely over cautious?

Bryce.