News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HDOS updates comming soon

Started by rpalmer, 20:33, 17 June 14

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hello everyone,

After 3 years of no development (new job and relocation to new city and all), I have been checking up on the HDOS software for the IDE8255 interface and it appears that people are having difficulty using it. To date no one has contacted me by email if they had any issues, so I had assumed that everyone was happy with it.

Well, I have got back to doing some development on the software to make it easier to use where possible.
I have already created a .DSK image to show how it works, however I found that the software had a bug or two to fix (SO I AM VERY SORRY TO ANYONE WHO WAS LET DOWN BY IT :'( ). This means that those people who have bought the interface and software, will receive a free (at no cost to those who bought it) ROM upgrade. I will of course need those people to let me know if they want it or not.

The on-going development for HDOS will be to:

a. Extend the partition capacity to be a whole disk (currently limited to 65536 blocks).
b. Extend file size to a maximum capacity to 1 Terabyte (currently limited to 65536 blocks).
c.  Look at the start up for auto-detection/auto-setup - if possible.
d. Create a driver for an adapter which can be used with SD cards. The adapter card will allow for 4 SD cards.
e. Create a driver which may also allow an adapter to use USB storage devices.
f.  Extend the documentation to better explain the RSX commands so that users can more easily use HDOS.

rpalmer

Cpcmaniaco

Hello Rpalmer.

I am very interested in every updates of HDOS that I buy you on the past, because never get it work OK.

Perhaps now will get it work OK.

I am not very good with this things, I think.

thanks for all the good things you are working, looks so well.

When you sell new hardware about CPC, tell me.

rpalmer

Well I have created HDOS 1.01, which I think fixed the problems people may have had.

While I could not promise to make life easy for everyone, I did offer anyone who did purchase the interface and software and response/queries to assist.
The partition side of HDOS is required, since AMSDOS is not even compatible with FAT32. So if this is what is making life awkward, I am sorry for it but there is now way around it.

HDOS 1.01 is attached below with a test DSK image to get people who have had trouble using it more familiar with what it can do.
To run tests:

Remember to select "3" for RAM disk test.

a. run "tc-par.bas" to demonstrate partition usage. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

b. run "tc-dir.bas" to demonstrate directory usage. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

c. run "tc-hdos.bas" to demostrate file creation. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

rpalmer

arnoldemu

Quote from: rpalmer on 08:44, 28 June 14
Well I have created HDOS 1.01, which I think fixed the problems people may have had.

While I could not promise to make life easy for everyone, I did offer anyone who did purchase the interface and software and response/queries to assist.
The partition side of HDOS is required, since AMSDOS is not even compatible with FAT32. So if this is what is making life awkward, I am sorry for it but there is now way around it.

HDOS 1.01 is attached below with a test DSK image to get people who have had trouble using it more familiar with what it can do.
To run tests:

Remember to select "3" for RAM disk test.

a. run "tc-par.bas" to demonstrate partition usage. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

b. run "tc-dir.bas" to demonstrate directory usage. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

c. run "tc-hdos.bas" to demostrate file creation. View listing to see what is going on if you want to.

rpalmer
What are your views an emulating your hardware interfaces and then using these ROMs?
I haven't done it but I am thinking about it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

rpalmer

arnoldemu,

You can "fill ya boots" as the hardware interface is not copyright and HDOS 1.0 and 1.01 are now free.

rpalmer