News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
Z

464+ with no video

Started by Zup, 08:50, 07 May 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: Executioner on 06:57, 12 May 14
Actually, the Plus version of ParaDOS is supposed to be different and still include the |GAME, |JEUX commands so you can still play Burnin' Rubber.

Really? I'd love this version. Both the original one I bought , and the 1.1s distributed for emulator use do not have this feature.

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

zup

The versions of the system + parados cartridge in the wiki have changes on the three "system" pages (OS, BASIC and DOS), supposedly to avoid the f1/f2 message.

Also, the parados ROM lacks any of the game start commands (|GAME, |JUEGO, |JEUX, |SPIEL) so Burnin' Rubber can't be run from BASIC (maybe using a small machine code routine?). I don't know if there is another (later) version of parados, but the one included on these system cartridges won't start Burnin' Rubber.

I've updated the system cartridge collection, to include parados cartridges and parados + megaflash cartridges.

Executioner

Quote from: zup on 09:09, 12 May 14
The versions of the system + parados cartridge in the wiki have changes on the three "system" pages (OS, BASIC and DOS), supposedly to avoid the f1/f2 message.

It appears that the source code I have for ParaDOS won't produce the Plus version which I thought I had working 21 years ago.

The normal CPC version of ParaDOS works fine with all the Plus firmware and BASIC, removing the F1/F2 messag, so I have no idea why that would have been changed.

By the way, the following small code segment will start Burnin' Rubber:

rst #18,swrom
.swrom
dw #c000
db #84

or in BASIC

10 POKE &4000,&df:POKE &4001,3:POKE &4002,&40
20 POKE &4003,0:POKE &4004,&C0:POKE &4005,&84
30 CALL &4000

zup

Sorry about the delay. I've finished installing everything to convert my 464+ into a 464/6128+ hybrid.

The ParaDOS system cartridge works now, so I guess it hangs when it tries to submit commands to the FDC and the FDC is not responding. It works even if no floppy is present (I haven't made the floppy cable).

Also, I'm wondering if the system cartridge ever use anything of Burnin' Rubber ROM pages... if the answer is no, the system cartridge can be "reworked" to use a 64k EPROM. It makes no sense (because every cartridge appears to be configured for 128k or 512k EPROM), but if Burnin' Rubber does not work it seems a waste of space.

(After reviewing Arnold V specs, I wonder why the cartridges use ROM pages from 128 and have some pages hardwired... if they used lower ROM pages, they could have been great ROMboxes)

On another unrelated event, I've bought a Commodore Amiga 500 with an A520 modulator. I wonder if I could get it to pick the signals of a CPC+ (the Amiga have HSYNC, VSYNC and CSYNC outputs but the CPCs have only CYSNC, and I don't know if the A520 uses HSYNC+VSYNC or only CSYNC)...

Bryce

The A520 gives a crap picture even on the Amiga! Use the RGB SCART solution, the picture is much better.

Bryce.

zup

I made a RGB to SCART cable but it doesn't work as intended and I don't know why. I guess it is related to the switching signals, but every thing I've tried to fix it doesn't work. My other cables (for a +3 and a CPC 6128) works fine, but the most I've been capable to extract from this cable are some "washed" images.

When I made my Harlequin, I bought a second set of components for composite video output (AD728 and other parts) to make a standalone RGB to composite, and I was thinking about building it... but then came that Amiga and the A520 that has composite and RF output. It seems easier to build a cable for a modulator than building the AD728 thing, and I can check it faster.

Executioner

Quote from: zup on 18:02, 03 June 14
Also, I'm wondering if the system cartridge ever use anything of Burnin' Rubber ROM pages... if the answer is no, the system cartridge can be "reworked" to use a 64k EPROM. It makes no sense (because every cartridge appears to be configured for 128k or 512k EPROM), but if Burnin' Rubber does not work it seems a waste of space.

If you read my previous post, you can easily get Burnin' Rubber to work with a 3 line program you can save on a disc, or an RSX you can put in another ROM, or ParaDOS 2.0 if I ever get around to it :)

zup

It seems that my son is taking more time from me than expected...

I got a external floppy cable for my ex 464+, and connected to my HxC. Everything works as expected, so the final step to 6128+ worked fine. I haven't made a new SCART cable, the composite output adapter or connected it to the A520... a four month baby can be very demanding.

@Executioner: Yes, I did read your post and tried your program, and it works as expected.

The point is that Burnin' Rubber won't work using a single instruction. If you need to load a small program from disk to make it work, it doesn't really matter if you have the rest of the game in ROM or in disk (because you'll need that disk to load the game). So the space used by the game is wasted.

If the ParaDOS cartridge had the |game RSX command, that would be a different thing because the cartridge could be used as system or game cartridge directly.

Thinking about that, I wonder why the cartridge ROM pages are mapped so strangely... if they were mapped below 31, the cartriges could have been easily used as ROMbox.

Bryce

Quote from: zup on 17:21, 19 June 14
Thinking about that, I wonder why the cartridge ROM pages are mapped so strangely... if they were mapped below 31, the cartriges could have been easily used as ROMbox.

That would have broke compatibility between standard expansions and plus expansions and Amstrad were obviously trying to avoid that.

Bryce.

Executioner

I've managed to create a Plus version of ParaDOS, but I want to fix the file copy bug before I release the new version.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Executioner on 01:01, 23 June 14
I've managed to create a Plus version of ParaDOS, but I want to fix the file copy bug before I release the new version.

Looking forward to this, However this will be yet more cart unsoldering, programming and reprograming.

Craig

Bryce

You should have used a socket.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 20:30, 03 July 14
You should have used a socket.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2

I wanted a closed cart with no hole. So soldered the eprom directly.

Executioner

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:51, 03 July 14
Looking forward to this, However this will be yet more cart unsoldering, programming and reprograming.

Well, I have a version which does work, and I've fixed the file copy bug, but the Plus version doesn't have very much room left and I was hoping to add Vortex support as an option. (ie. Bit 4 of DPB set = #0x = Vortex).