News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Powering a CPC with a FD-1 power supply?

Started by cpcitor, 19:52, 01 June 17

Previous topic - Next topic

cpcitor

Hello.

I have a CPC 464, a DDI-1, a FD-1 and a CPC 6128.
The FD-1 is damaged though it could be recovered (unsure) -- perhaps more damage that broken belt and lost write pin.
Perhaps it's dead but the power supply is perfectly fine.

Trying to repair disc drives I saw the 4-wire power connector at the back of the 3" drive inside the FD-1 box.
Such connectors look like PC-style floppy drive power supply.
I checked the voltage on these pins: 5, 0, 0 12 (in CPC 6128 actually).
Voltages are unsurprising, but ... in the case of a FD-1 those voltages come from the FD-1 power supply.

So, the FD-1 can provide +5V and +12V.

This yielded an idea: could the power supply inside the FD-1 case power a whole CPC ?

I can see two options!

(1) Power a CPC-464. With the hack (extra wire) described in http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/ddi-1-conversion-for-use-without-an-fd-1/msg22724/#msg22724. Pro: solder one wire. Simple, clean. Con: modified DDI-1 cannot/should not (or can it safely?) work on an already regularly powered CPC-464, as already discussed there.

(2) Power a CPC-6128 or a 464. Make an adapter cable from the 4-wire power inside the FD-1 case to provide two external plugs that plug on the regular CPC-6128 power.

One question remain: CPC sucks extra power, can the FD-1 power supply handle that ?

Comment welcome. Thanks.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

cpcitor

Hey, it was my 129th post. I should have made a party for the 128th  :picard:  :laugh:
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

gerald

According to the DDI1, the power supplies are regulated by one L78N12 and two L78N05 (one for the drive, one for the interface), all able to provide 500mA
A 464 with 40007 GA consume about 900mA on the 5V rail when idling and in the range of 1.1A while reading a tape.

Even having both 5V in parallel (not recommended), it won't be enough.

cpcitor

Thanks @gerald for the informative answer.

This is confirmed and even worsened by Power Supply for CPC and CPC plus - CPCWiki: 2A for CPC464, 1.7A for CPC664 and CPC6128.

They might have kept some safety margin, anyway it's much more than 0.5A that L78N* can provide.
Topic solved.