News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128+

Started by BiNMaN, 11:38, 25 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Beaker succumb to peer pressure and drive for a while to get an awesome Plus machine?

For def.
7 (46.7%)
Fosho.
0 (0%)
You're kidding me, right? Go for it!
4 (26.7%)
Would drive around the world for it
1 (6.7%)
I'm a boring person, so I'm gonna say "no".
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

BiNMaN

chaps need advice

I've got a chance of getting a 6128+, it comes with the proper monitor but no burning rubber cartrige although it has been shown working with pang

is it worth buying (and how much do you reckon it's worth), is it possible to do a clone cartrige for the basic?

proud owner of a 464, 6128 and GX4000

ralferoo

The cartridges often show up on ebay pretty cheaply. Without any cartridge at all, the machine is useless but you could always buy a GX4000 game to test the machine with.

My gut feeling is that even if it's broken, it'll be worth something to someone here...

Bryce

Go for it. The cartridges are easy to get, the Plus machine is the difficult part.

Bryce.

BiNMaN

cheers chaps, I'm considering giving it one last punt

tbh I have a 464 and I only want a 6128 (plus or not), just being a 6128plus I really really want it

Gryzor

Hey, is it the one that was mentioned before, on Ebay? Looks good, and you can source some BASIC cartridge probably... They usually go for more than 100GBP...

BiNMaN

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:57, 25 May 12
Hey, is it the one that was mentioned before, on Ebay? Looks good, and you can source some BASIC cartridge probably... They usually go for more than 100GBP...

could well be, I'm pretty new to the Amstrad scene so I haven't really read the forums much

BiNMaN

damn someone looks like they've put a big bid on it  :o

I could cry I really could, I only want a 6128 to play R-Type on  :( could have bought a cpc6128 with monitor, load of games and the amstrad printer for £80 a couple of weeks ago but i let my mate have it instead how dumb was that

Bryce

That's life. They usually go for rather large amounts of money. You could try buying one on ebay.fr they go for less there.

Bryce.

BiNMaN

Quote from: Bryce on 12:31, 25 May 12
That's life. They usually go for rather large amounts of money. You could try buying one on ebay.fr they go for less there.

Bryce.

good idea, guys thanks for all the feedback it's really helped

BiNMaN

well took a deep breath went upto £134 and let go, didn't get it bit gutted but hey that's life

now back to my search for a decent 6128 (plus or not)  :D

MacDeath

if the machines has no Basic cartridge, you can argue for a cheaper price, but on eBay you can't really argue...

the Basic cartridge should be the one to fit the keyboards... English, Spanish or French mostly.

as worse you can find the cheaper GX4000 game you can find and cannibalize it...

Quote£134
haha this is crazy...

The sad part is that "many" are sold in France for quite cheap, but those guy often don't want to send it and you'll have to come to take it yourself.

Bryce

My 6128+ came from ebay.fr and cost €46. He wanted €70 to post it to Germany and I think he was a bit pissed off, when I gave him a French address to send it to :D

Of course I swapped the Keyboard later and the cartridge EPROM was swapped to match.

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: BiNMaN on 12:26, 25 May 12
could have bought a cpc6128 with monitor, load of games and the amstrad printer for £80 a couple of weeks ago
Keep at it. A lot of 6128s have sold on ebay in recent weeks for about £40 including postage.

EDIT: I should add that this is a lot less than the normal price, but it's pretty easy to get a good condition 6128 for about £60 tops.

BiNMaN

Quote from: MacDeath on 13:39, 25 May 12
if the machines has no Basic cartridge, you can argue for a cheaper price, but on eBay you can't really argue...

the Basic cartridge should be the one to fit the keyboards... English, Spanish or French mostly.

as worse you can find the cheaper GX4000 game you can find and cannibalize it...

haha this is crazy...

The sad part is that "many" are sold in France for quite cheap, but those guy often don't want to send it and you'll have to come to take it yourself.

Thing is he never listed that the cartridge was missing, I found that out after a few emails the picture on the listing didn't show any output on the monitor although he did put up a link to a picture of it running a pang cart. I have looked at getting a GX4000 but I'll need to read up on cannibalising which sound an iteresting idea. I have had a look on ebay.fr, an azerty version is an idea especially if i use an english firmware and swap the keys around.

TBH all I want is a 128k machine to go along side my 464 and I've got a 3.5 " to stick on it already!

BiNMaN

Quote from: ralferoo on 14:08, 25 May 12
Keep at it. A lot of 6128s have sold on ebay in recent weeks for about £40 including postage.

EDIT: I should add that this is a lot less than the normal price, but it's pretty easy to get a good condition 6128 for about £60 tops.

yeh seen quite a few and missed out as i didn't keep an eye on them, one went for just over £26 the other day what a bargain

MacDeath

A stock CPC6128 is often like 20-40€uros in France... (with colour monitor)

Some try to sell them for more, and can't.

I think there is one sold in my town for this price...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/informatique/263306040.htm?ca=22_s

town is "Valence" and I live here...

There's also a 6128PLUS sold near where I live, but it is 80€uros... which is quite expensive I think.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/informatique/287455069.htm?ca=22_s

And he says :
Quotene sait plus le code d acces mais en bon etat prix ferme
he can't remember the Access code ? I think he simply no more have the Basic Cartridge...
"Prix ferme" sounds like "no negociation"... (firm price)

Perhaps i could argue to get it for less if it doesn't have the cartridge...

But i have no freaking money at the moment... and already have enough PLUS machines, just hope the guy won't put it into the Trashcan.

Gryzor

I'm surprised nobody uttered the "But" word in the French CPC case: AZERTY keyboard.

Well, if it's no difference for you then yes, go for a frenchie.

BiNMaN

well just picked up a GX4000 for £13.25, may be doing a bit of modding

MacDeath

Nice job. ;)

endangermice

I remember that 6128+ put a few bids in when it was on the £80 mark but it just went too high! Unfortunately saving up for a wedding and buying expensive computers isn't entirely compatible. I think it went for £136 in the end!

I think getting a basic cartridge wouldn't be too hard afaik if you get another game first you can desolder the chip and replace it with a EPROM containing the game and basic dump - available with the WinAPE emulator. I think the copy protection chip doesn't care what's burnt on the ROM....?
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

Bryce

The ACID (protection chip) is always the same no matter what software is on the cartridge.

Bryce.

endangermice

In that case all you need is to burn the cartridge file that comes with WinAPE (CPC_PLUS.CPR in the ROM directory) to a 128KB EPROM and I think you're good to go!

I just had a look and GX4000 Tennis Cup is going on EBay at a buy it now price of £12.00 plus £2.50 UK postage which I reckon is worth a stab - then all you need to do is find someone willing to burn the file to an EPROM, pull the cartridge apart and de-solder the existing chip, install a socket and plug in your EPROM.

I suspect the ROM chip is 28pins - but having never seen one I don't know....
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

Bryce

CPR files need to be converted first, but otherwise yes. That's all you need to do. But Burning Rubber Cartridges are much more common and cheaper, so I wouldn't destroy a Tennis Cartridge to create a Burning rubber one.

Bryce.

endangermice

I guess I'm just not a great tennis fan ;)!

beaker

Like this one:

Amstrad gx4000 Burnin Rubber cartridge | eBay

Although I already have a 6128+ I was tempted by this ad but is a little too far away...

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/amstrad-6128-plus-game/1578485