News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 disk drive issue

Started by Morn, 19:18, 10 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't use olive oil (even the good stuff) as a lubricant, the bits that make it taste nice are also the bits that make it into a sticky gunk over time. I'd stick with something purer like pertoleum jelly (Vaseline) or similar as I suggested earlier and leave the olive oil for your taste buds.

Bryce.

@Gryzor: I'm also a big Olive Oil on bread fan, but I have to confess, I usually buy Italian, sorry :(

Gryzor

Well, you may be interested to know that there's a big scam that has been running for many, many years: Italian producers have been buying Greek olive oil in bulk and cheap and then reselling it as italian produce, premium and expensive...

Anyway, back on topic, you *can* use olive oil as lubricant in emergencies, but you have to make sure you clean it well afterwards and rather sooner than later. Alcohol can do the job.

Bryce

Still not On-Topic... There's always alcohol involved when I'm enjoying some Olive Oil and Bread, usually a good Red Wine.

But back to the disk drive, send it to Markus and let us know how it goes...

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:58, 14 July 10
Still not On-Topic... There's always alcohol involved when I'm enjoying some Olive Oil and Bread, usually a good Red Wine.

But back to the disk drive, send it to Markus and let us know how it goes...

Bryce.
Are you suggesting the drive should be taken to a restaurant for some posh nosh?
That'll make it happy and it'll work?
;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Well it works for me :)

Bryce.

TFM

Der Stepper-Motor ist fusch!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Pentagon

TFM is telling the truth. I thought that too. I think the stepper motor is faulty. (Kannste wegwerfen - diesen Typ Laufwerk hab ich noch niemals nie wieder repariert bekommen - ist das schrottigste überhaupt. Am besten ist die erste Generation 3 Zoll Laufwerke, die sind noch reparabel). RIP

Kindly Regards
Tom

TFM

Quote from: Pentagon on 08:04, 17 July 10
TFM is telling the truth. I thought that too. I think the stepper motor is faulty. (Kannste wegwerfen - diesen Typ Laufwerk hab ich noch niemals nie wieder repariert bekommen - ist das schrottigste überhaupt. Am besten ist die erste Generation 3 Zoll Laufwerke, die sind noch reparabel). RIP

Kindly Regards
Tom

Thanks for the hint with the first generation, think the Plus drives are the worst.
Also, einfach mal auf ebay für Nachschub sorgen, wenn der Preis passt.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Morn

Thanks TFM, that's what I was thinking too. Would it be very difficult to find a similar stepper motor e.g. at conrad.de? They have quite a selection, but I'm not sure what to look for in terms of the specs. The 6128 service manual was not helpful in that respect.

Martin

Bryce

Finding a replacement may prove difficult. For a start it's going to have to have identical dimensions and fixing points, on top of that it will need to be the same type (uni- or bipolar ie: 4,5 or 6 pole), not sure which type the cpc used. Then the steps per rotation (step angle) has to be correct. That's an awful lot of factors, that all need to be fullfilled, otherwise it won't work.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Morn on 17:20, 19 July 10
Thanks TFM, that's what I was thinking too. Would it be very difficult to find a similar stepper motor e.g. at conrad.de? They have quite a selection, but I'm not sure what to look for in terms of the specs. The 6128 service manual was not helpful in that respect.

Martin

I don't know... However, a used drive from ebay or (better) another CPC user should be as cheap as ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

OCT

Quote from: Pentagon on 08:04, 17 July 10diesen Typ Laufwerk hab ich noch niemals nie wieder repariert bekommen - ist das schrottigste überhaupt. Am besten ist die erste Generation 3 Zoll Laufwerke, die sind noch reparabel).
I happen to have one of these with an SMD transistor (pre-stage motor driver I guess) that literally blew up many years ago, damaging a minor section of the PCB traces below it. By the time I'd figured out the code of the exact replacement (as the original had crumbled to dust along with its markings), the spare had been discontinued (and parts such as these were impossible to source anyway before the likes of RS-Components.com came online).

As this 3" drive is known to be mechanically intact, would one of you experienced in this type of repairs like to have a go at soldering in a new transistor and see whether any other components need replacement (as the damage looks like from a power surge), or whether it could at least be combined into a working unit with another broken one?

Might even have a chance to personally take the drive to someone in the Munich area (which seems to be have a cluster of CPC survivors ;)) next month...

Bryce

Hi OCT,
      I could take a look at it, but maybe you should send a picture of it first. When a transistor blows up, it's rarely the transistor that was broken, rather something else failed causing the transistor to short and then explode. Or was there a known power-surge / short-circuit that caused the transistor to bid farewell to life as we know it?

Bryce.

OCT

Quote from: Bryce on 08:38, 21 July 10but maybe you should send a picture of it first [...] was there a known power-surge / short-circuit that caused the transistor to bid farewell to life as we know it?
Scrolls from the era recently unearthed by IT archeologists tell that a flash of light was seen from the TV set the CPC had been connected to, and which turned itself off while an infernal odor protruded from the CPC (the mainboard of which survived the incident unscathed, unlike its disk drive). When the tribe's medicine man opened the CPC, broken fragments of the transistor were found beneath the drive assembly, revealing an inscription that must have read "Y-D".

Has the hallmarks of an overvolt issue in my book, from the mains or aerial, if we are to discard Däniken's standard explanation that it must have been an attack by ancient alien astronauts. ;)

Bryce

Since those by-gone days, we have advanced our understanding and knowkledge of the CPCs inner workings (and have the schematics to prove it). And despite underlying fears that this might anger the 8-bit Gods, I suggest we awaken the drive from its Cryogenic Suspension and breath new life into it. It's a brave step into the unknown, but one we must take...

Bryce.

B.t.w. Do you know which transistor bit the dust?