News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128+ Hardware Question

Started by Amtix, 22:37, 10 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtix

Hello,

My real name is Craig and like many on here I've gamed since day dot. For me all the way back on a ColecoVision. However I've always loved my first computer which was the original CPC 6128. It's been awhile in the making but since the mid-2000's I've gradually built up my collection. I do though need to ask for some advice on a few hardware issues.

I've got a pretty mint 6128+ in my loft right now and I'm a little stumped as to whether I can hook up a tape deck to it, and if so what type of cassette player would be suitable. Can anyone offer some advice. I remember that I on my old 6128 I had a tape player but I think I hear one time that the upgraded 6128+'s did away with this option?

If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

steve

No, the 6128+ does not have the sockets to connect a tape player to, but you can install them if you know which end of a soldering iron to grab, see AA92.

Amtix

KK,

That's answered my question then, thank you. I think I might very well be in the hunt for an original 6128 then. What cassette player would hook up to a normal 6128 then?

BTW, just a heads up but I might well be selling my 6128+ (location Newcastle) with monitor and burning rubber cart.

TotO

Please, stop to hack rare old computers... Use and HxC on it with floppy disc image instead.

It will thanks you!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

steve

Any old portable tape recorder should work, alternatively you could try connecting the line output from your PC to the 6128 and playing the wav file of the program through the PC into the 6128.
You may need more a detailed explanation of how to do this as it is not something I have done.

McKlain

Or forget about using a PC and just put the wav files on your mobile phone and use it as a player.

Amtix

Interesting...and what sort of connection will I need for that?

McKlain

A cable like this one, but you are only going to use the "EAR" connection (that one goes into the headphones jack of your mobile).

If you have the skills you can build one cable like this yourself.

Connector:Cassette recorder - CPCWiki

TotO

Quote from: Amtix on 22:37, 10 July 13
I've got a pretty mint 6128+ in my loft right now and I'm a little stumped as to whether I can hook up a tape deck to it, and if so what type of cassette player would be suitable. Can anyone offer some advice. I remember that I on my old 6128 I had a tape player but I think I hear one time that the upgraded 6128+'s did away with this option?

Hello Amtix,

Like you said, you got a pretty mint 6128+.

Why don't you try to use it for what it is intended? Floppies or Cartridges games?
It's a luck to be able to do that today, you know! :)

If playing tapes is you only goal, why don't you try to exchange it for a CPC464 or 464Plus instead?
That will work far better than an external audio drive. No game use Plus features on tapes you know.

The best way to load thousands on CPC games stored from a SD card to your 6128Plus is to use that:
eBay | SD Floppy Emulator SLIM HXC

And plug them on your 6128Plus w/o hacking it! :)
That change the life and you will enjoy using your 6128Plus than ever.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

On your Android phone you could use this: tapDancer Virtual Datasette - Android-apps op Google Play . But I'd agree, although I love to load the occasional tape on my 464 every now and then, for any 'serious' use it's not practical...

Amtix

Hmm,

I like the idea of that SD card business. The Android phone also sounds like an interesting option, I've got a Windows 8 phone though so I'm not sure if that would be an option. I do have though a CD-Rom with loads of games on it including an emulator and I'm assuming that I would be able to transfer these onto an SD card pretty easily and be able to read them on a CPC? There are though games missing such as Pirates! which I happen to have on disk.

So with this SD card could I hook that up to a 464 or does it have to be 6128 / 6128+?    I've got 2 464's and I want to cut down the bulk in my loft a little bit perhaps by shifting the 6128+ and monitor and acquire just a normal 6128 which I can use my existing monitor with. Also shifting the 6128+ would free up some cash to go the SD card route.

The hacking route sounds a little above my comfort zone to be honest plus I would feel "dirty" by altering my machines.

steve

Unfortunately, you will need the DDI-1 to attach the HxC to a '464, it would be (relatively) easy to attach it to a 6128.

Gryzor

Actually, it's dead easy to connect to the 6128.

steve

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:04, 12 July 13
Actually, it's dead easy to connect to the 6128.

Well. I don't know if the cable to connect it to the 6128 is included, also there is some confusion about which drive is A or B isn't there?

Gryzor

Any normal CPC floppy cable will do, you can find them on eBay.

As for the confusion, none really; HxC works as B, but you can also get a cable with built-in switches to disable the internal drive and make the HxC appear as A.

steve

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:41, 12 July 13

As for the confusion, none really; HxC works as B, but you can also get a cable with built-in switches to disable the internal drive and make the HxC appear as A.

That's why I said relatively easy and not dead easy. :D

Gryzor

Nahhh it's dead easy: plug it in, it's B! Just like with normal drives. The rest is extra options...

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:41, 12 July 13
You'll want one that's listed as a Schneider floppy cable though, not an "Amstrad" one.

The Amstrad CPC used edge connectors, the Schneider always used Centronics connectors and the Amstrad CPC+ followed that.

Gryzor

Good point, didn't notice this was about a Schneider.

Amtix

Thank you for the great ideas and advice. However I've got a new issue thats appeared. My "mint" 6128 plus has developed a keyboard fault. Some, most keys work but the odd ones do not. I've been reading a few threads on here and elsewhere but any suggestions would be well received.

I'm not too tech savy or inclinded to poke about inside the computer. What suggestions could anyone give?

steve

This Wiki article deals with keyboard membranes, yours most likely only needs cleaning but this article also has a link to a site where you can buy a new membrane should you need it.

Keyboard Membrane Repair/Replacement Guide - CPCWiki

Sorry but unless you can find someone to do it for you, there is no alternative to poking about inside the computer.

Gryzor

Don't worry, poking inside the CPCs is not hard to do... just be gentle with it :)

Amtix

Aye Steve, I'd seen that page and I might see if I can give it a clean. Any suggestions as to what I should use to clean it with? Whatever I do I'll be like uber paranoid whilst doing it. I don't know how hard it'll be but I built this PC I'm typing on now from scratch so here's hoping.

Bryce

Before you start anything, you should make a note of which keys have failed. If particular keys all fail at the same time, it's a sign that something on the PCB (usually the AY) that has failed. If it's really random keys, then it's dirt.

Bryce.

redbox

I've found on the Plus (if it's only 1 or 2 keys that aren't working) it can be the two metal prongs that attach from the PCB to the keyboard case - they get bent easily.