News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128+ numbers not working in games with azerty-keyboard?

Started by emuola, 19:23, 03 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

emuola

I came across this problem with Turrican II: The cracktro tells me to press 1 or 2, but no matter what I do the game does not start loading (however it works fine with 6128). I guess this is a problem with the plus kayboard (azerty) requiring shift to get the numbers? Is there anything I can do to be able to start the game on a Plus?
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

Bryce

Have you tried using an english OS Cartridge?

Bryce.

emuola

Quote from: Bryce on 19:25, 03 May 12
Have you tried using an english OS Cartridge?

Bryce.

I only have the Burning rubber/Locomotive basic cart. Have I missed something completely here?

Bryce

There's a french and an english version of the burning rubber / Basic cartridge. So it might work properly if you use an english version. I assume you have a French 6128+ with French cartridge.

Bryce.

remax

It's perhaps the same old Keyboard scanning bug like Barbarian
Brain Radioactivity

emuola

Quote from: Bryce on 19:33, 03 May 12
There's a french and an english version of the burning rubber / Basic cartridge. So it might work properly if you use an english version. I assume you have a French 6128+ with French cartridge.

Bryce.
How can I tell if it's the one or the other? The text on the cart is English at least :)

Bryce

emuola

Quote from: Bryce on 21:08, 03 May 12
The Colour. Take a look here: Plus System Cartridge - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community &

Bryce.
Thanks Bryce once again :) I should have noticed the "F" myself. It is indeed a French cart. Anybody willing to sell me a British one?

MacDeath

QuoteI came across this problem with Turrican II: The cracktro
why don't you simply download a version cracked by French hackerz ?

also have you tried function keys ?

Terje_Norway

If Your interested in purchasing a UK cart for Your 6128+, You could have a look at the following link  ;) ! ! !

Parados GX4000 GX 4000 OS cartridge Amstrad CPC 6128 plus | eBay

It does cost a bit, but does also include Parados. Well worth the money if You asks me. The seller is 100% serious 
(I have TWO of these carts  :)  Actually I have a COMPLETE set of ALL CARTS available  8)  minus, You know what  :laugh: )

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

TFM

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 22:39, 03 May 12
... Actually I have a COMPLETE set of ALL CARTS available  8)  minus, You know what  :laugh: )
Are you talking about the one nobody ever would say its name? The one which is that evil, that nobody dares to name it? Or is it just Chase HQ 2?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Terje_Norway

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:23, 04 May 12
Are you talking about the one nobody ever would say its name? The one which is that evil, that nobody dares to name it? Or is it just Chase HQ 2?

Yes, we are talking about ONE of those TWO titles  :o
It's up to You to choose  :-\ 

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

emuola

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:23, 03 May 12
why don't you simply download a version cracked by French hackerz ?

also have you tried function keys ?

Actually, the cractro is in French... I tried also the function keys, but nothing happens. The function keys do work and the numbers also (tested in basic). Any particular version to recommend?

TotO

A list of working games may be shortest, no?  ;D

The AZERTY keyboard on CPC is just a shame...
Poor keys mapping. I think that [ ) location was defined with a random program.
And the | key that return the same caracter as the ù key ... (twice use)
I'm happy to get my CPC with a QWERTY Keyboard in 1986.
And my CPC Plus is a UK version to keep the same layout.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

emuola

Quote from: TotO on 08:02, 04 May 12
A list of working games may be shortest, no?  ;D

The AZERTY keyboard on CPC is just a shame...
Poor keys mapping. I think that [ ) location was defined with a random program.
And the | key that return the same caracter as the ù key ... (twice use)
I'm happy to get my CPC with a QWERTY Keyboard in 1986.
And my CPC Plus is a UK version to keep the same layout.

Yes, I know about the shortcomings, but it seemed pretty much impossible to get me a qwerty version in a reasonable time.

Any more incompatibilities with games and cpc+?

Badstarr

This keyboard scanning bug can be a tad annoying! The game itself usually works if you can get a copy sans cractro. Sometimes having a look through the NVG and ADATE archives will reveal an alternate version. However, strangely I did manage to get past one of the offending intros by mashing some keys and messing on with the joystick/game pad but I have never been able to repeat this success. I have also found that Rainbow Islands doesn't want to start on my GX this is repeated on the Arnold Emulator in Plus Mode under OS X. If I repeatedly press fire and randomly mash buttons on the gamepad I can get the game to start on the GX but this only worked once on the emulator!

I haven't tried yet, but I was going to try and change the settings on the Disk Image on a game with a misbehaving cractro so that the actual game is not hidden and I can load the game direct skipping over the problem.

As for the bug itself, just off the top of my head, I think it has something to do with the PPI features being set to the wrong input by a quirk of the Plus ASIC hardware emulation of the CPC standard PPI.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

emuola

Ok guys, it seems that it does not work even with the English system cartridge. Weird. I tested the disk images with Winape, and indeed it's the F1/F2 to select when the cracktro appears. It's even more weid that the function keys do work when I select between Basic/Burning rubber?!

I then decided to try other Turrican 2 -images I found on the net. Unfortunately I cannot even get the contents of the disk with "cat", I get somekind of a drive error "Cancel. Retry, Ignore..."(cannot really remember that right now). In Winape these images do work.

Could someone confirm this with their Plus/HxC? The link to the problematic images is below:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/olliraa/hfe.zip

Feedback appreciated :)

emuola

Ok, found working floppy image(s) for Turrican 2. These also have a French cracktro, but pressing F1 on my Plus gets me forward :)

Gryzor

emuola

In case anybody is interested, the names of the working images are:

Turrican 2 (UK) (1991) (Disk 1 of 2) [a1].dsk
Turrican 2 (UK) (1991) (Disk 2 of 2) [a1].dsk