News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 PSU

Started by Gryzor, 22:38, 13 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Well this certainly looks the part and I take your word for it being of high quality, but... all told, GBP52 for 5V only... hmmmmmm :(

||C|-|E||

Ups, I did not notice the price this time  :-X  It was expensive, but certainly not that expensive. I payed like 30 something, as far as I remember... the other option was to make it myself, but I liked that one, with the nice case  :D

Gryzor

Indeed the case is very nice, but it ends up costing as much as my 1084 :D

dragon

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:26, 17 January 17
Well this certainly looks the part and I take your word for it being of high quality, but... all told, GBP52 for 5V only... hmmmmmm :(

You need search these type of psu designed fot hdd enclosure.

https://www.amazon.es/NIMO-Alimentador-Dual-5Vcc-12Vcc/dp/B00AWU94ZU

They have DIN to molex adapter, then add One of these and done.
http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product&id_lang=4

||C|-|E||

Power with those is that they are not linear PSUs and they may cause some kind of interference with the 1084. At least, I found Amstrad monitors to be quite picky in that regard...

Bryce

Quote from: dragon on 12:06, 17 January 17

You need search these type of psu designed fot hdd enclosure.

https://www.amazon.es/NIMO-Alimentador-Dual-5Vcc-12Vcc/dp/B00AWU94ZU

They have DIN to molex adapter, then add One of these and done.
http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product&id_lang=4

That's cutting it way too close with the amperage. It would be running at its limit most of the time.

Bryce.

dragon

Gryzor

The DIN->molex solution and these HDD PSUs sounds like a good solution... and the 3A one seems like a viable option I would guess?

But then there's the interference issue that @||C|-|E|| mentioned; how does it manifest itself on your CPC monitors?

||C|-|E||

Well, you see quite a lot of crap in the screen, mainly scrolling bands  and noise  :)  This is due to the switching nature of many modern PSUs. You could plug the PSU as far as you can from the CRT, and even try to filter its output, but in my hands a truly linear PSU, as the original one, is always better. This, and a common ground point for the screen and the external PSU.

dragon

Anyway is only a example, not buy the Sun flower , better a best compatible brand tested with these lacie hdd as the jentec jta0707-y :) . Or the owc

http://joemaller.com/1424/worst-component-ever/

Bryce

There are good SMPSU's around with proper filtering etc, just these aren't them. I bought a decent one a few years back for my Neo Geo and it works perfectly since and there's no interference on the screen either, but of course it cost a lot more than the devices linked above. The problem with most of these is that they claim much higher values than they were designed to supply. So a 2A PSU will be sold as 4A etc (it can possibly supply very short peaks of 4A). This means that the PSU is always running at its absolute limit, so it's getting hot, becoming less efficient, which makes it even hotter and eventually it just gives up (with possibly some entertaining hissing beforehand).
I've torn some of these down in the past to look at what parts they actually contain. It's quite common to find a 2A inductor in a Chinese PSU that claims 4A and remember you have to allow for headroom (not my avatar, the other headroom), so 4A would require a 5A inductor. The thing is, they don't care. They have your money and they know that no one is ever going to try to return a faulty device to china, it's just not worth the bother.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Holy crap, who'd have thought it'd be so hard to power my CPC :( Imagine that...

Bryce

It's not, just go and buy a decent PSU. :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Sure, will do that. Once I find one that can give me 5 and 12V and enough amperage and won't cause the computer desk to wobble or set it on fire :D

Lazy Dude

Having a hard time with over complicating stuff!
I thought I'd repost this from another (old) thread....

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 12:19, 04 November 16One quick (ish) solution is to buy a small pc power supply second hand €20 on ebay, post 2000 dell optiplex ones are my fave.You will need to sort out the dc connectors though, but as a reliable psu goes it's just the job.Don't be tempted by cheap chinese stuff you see!

Gryzor

Yeah, but now we're going in circles; I'm aware of the PC PSU solution, but as I said early in the thread, I want to avoid it because I want something tidy...

Lazy Dude

I saw that, honest I did. I just thought that you would see how diddy and cute they were compared to modern ones!

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:23, 24 January 17
Yeah, but now we're going in circles; I'm aware of the PC PSU solution, but as I said early in the thread, I want to avoid it because I want something tidy...

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/5vcpc/  :)

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

And then, one of the PSUs Bryce said or the linear one with a cool case  :D

Gryzor

Yup, as I was saying earlier on, maybe the 5VCPC proves to be the best solution indeed :D @Bryce, any left?

Which PSUs did Bryce mention? I don't remember him suggesting any?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:08, 25 January 17
Yup, as I was saying earlier on, maybe the 5VCPC proves to be the best solution indeed :D @Bryce, any left?

Which PSUs did Bryce mention? I don't remember him suggesting any?

I can't remember suggesting any exact PSU either, I must be getting old :D

Yes, I have only sold 9 of the 15 5VCPC, so there are more than enough left over.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Heheh you and me both :D

Ok, I must take a better look into the board; when you announced it it sounded pretty cool but of no use to me - how times change. Pleas keep one aside for me while I'm looking for a 5V PSU :) (btw how much amperage are we looking into after all, bearing in mind that there's also the usual expansions that have to suck their own? At least 3A I'd say, but I think this sound a bit on the low side?)

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:22, 25 January 17
Heheh you and me both :D

Ok, I must take a better look into the board; when you announced it it sounded pretty cool but of no use to me - how times change. Pleas keep one aside for me while I'm looking for a 5V PSU :) (btw how much amperage are we looking into after all, bearing in mind that there's also the usual expansions that have to suck their own? At least 3A I'd say, but I think this sound a bit on the low side?)

3A will ensure a very stable CPC with 5VCPC and maybe one or two expansions on the back. So I would say look at something between 4 and 5A for a fully loaded system.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yup, that's what I thought.  Let's prowl the eBay! :D

Bryce

Ok, now I will make a real suggestion: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Netzteil-AC-DC-Adapter-FSP-Group-FSP020-DGAA1-Output-5-0V-4-0A-/181720877847

This is made by FSP Grouip INC, a well known quality PSU manufacturer (Taiwanese). They make many of the PSUs supplied with laptops and are well designed and pretty efficient too. It has all the proper certification for European use. They tell the truth about it's limits and it even has the correct connector already in place. It's an SMPSU of course, but finding a linear PSU these days is almost impossible.

Bryce.