News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 vs 6128 plus

Started by banana, 11:45, 08 February 21

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

I'd like to know if the plus version is fully compatible with the 6128What are the differences?Thank you!

Gryzor

banana

So... If I've lost the cartridge, I can't use the 6128 plus  :o

Gryzor

You mean for BASIC? You have to get a replacement.

banana

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:20, 08 February 21
You mean for BASIC? You have to get a replacement.
Where from?Thanks.

banana

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. But it doesn't seem to have BASIC in it.

ComSoft6128

Parados is a replacement ROM for Amsdos - you will still be able to use BASIC :)

banana

Shaun M. Neary

Some games suffer a keyboard scanning bug on Plus machines (Split Personalities, Ghosts N Goblins, Afterburner, Super Cycle to name a few).
A lot of those have been patched since though, so it's something to be aware of.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ComSoft6128

For anyone that notices - that IS a CampurSoft manual that comes with the cart - I have nothing to do with this and I found it more than a little ironic when I bought this a few years ago ???

Shining

If someone is in need for a cartridge you can contact me for one of my homebrew plus cartridges (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/classifieds-38/homebrew-plus-cartridge/msg164765/#msg164765).

But keep in mind, that I do them only for personal use and not for mass production.
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

ComSoft6128

Hi @Shining ,

How many individual Roms can you fit on these carts?

Shining

To keep it simple I designed my pcb to only fit 512kB EEPROMs. So I can burn every BIN-File up to 512kB.

Since this is the same max. size for the PLUS and the same max. size for a .cpr on the C4CPC one can build a cart for C4CPC and then convert this to .bin using cprtools from cpcmania.
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

banana

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 13:40, 08 February 21
Parados is a replacement ROM for Amsdos - you will still be able to use BASIC :)
But Locomotive Basic is on the original cartridge. Is is the same case with the Parados?

VincentGR

Parados is a love/hate situation for me.
It is amazing but some games I like and Discology have different opinions.

eto

Quote from: banana on 20:11, 08 February 21
But Locomotive Basic is on the original cartridge. Is is the same case with the Parados?

yes.

But why should you lose a cartridge? Just keep the original one in a safe place and it's highly unlikely you will ever lose it. I use my Plus with the C4CPC cartridge which I rarely remove from the Plus as it simply gives access to everything I ever need. I keep the original cartridge in my disk box and in the rare cases I need it, I will always be sure that I find it.

If you ever get a Plus, then make sure to get the C4CPC too. With this you will have easy access to ROMs, e.g. you can select the standard ROM with Amsdos and Basic. Or to a patched version without Burning Rubber. Or to Parados... whatever you wish. So there is rarely the need to insert the standard cartridge again.

banana

Quote from: eto on 21:09, 08 February 21

yes.

But why should you lose a cartridge? Just keep the original one in a safe place and it's highly unlikely you will ever lose it. I use my Plus with the C4CPC cartridge which I rarely remove from the Plus as it simply gives access to everything I ever need. I keep the original cartridge in my disk box and in the rare cases I need it, I will always be sure that I find it.

If you ever get a Plus, then make sure to get the C4CPC too. With this you will have easy access to ROMs, e.g. you can select the standard ROM with Amsdos and Basic. Or to a patched version without Burning Rubber. Or to Parados... whatever you wish. So there is rarely the need to insert the standard cartridge again.
I already own a 6128+. I just can't remember after all this time where I put the darn cartridge... :-[

Gryzor

It's easy to lose it unfortunately... has happened to me - cartridge removed to play some other cartridge, then the machine was stored away without checking which cartridge was in. Result: an empty game box and a loose BASIC cartridge in a drawer.

eto

Quote from: banana on 21:13, 08 February 21I already own a 6128+. I just can't remember after all this time where I put the darn cartridge...

Ah, I understand. OK, then get a C4CPC and you have access to all ROMs you ever need and want.
The only disadvantage I encountered so far is, that CPM plus will not boot from disk with the C4CPC installed (but CPM 2.2 will).

banana

Quote from: eto on 09:30, 09 February 21Ah, I understand. OK, then get a C4CPC and you have access to all ROMs you ever need and want.
The only disadvantage I encountered so far is, that CPM plus will not boot from disk with the C4CPC installed (but CPM 2.2 will)
What is the C4CPC? DO you have a link for it? Does it include the OS/Basic?
Thanks.

eto

Quote from: banana on 09:40, 09 February 21What is the C4CPC? DO you have a link for it? Does it include the OS/Basic?
Thanks.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/C4CPC

It comes with everything!

Gryzor

Quote from: banana on 09:40, 09 February 21
What is the C4CPC? DO you have a link for it? Does it include the OS/Basic?
Thanks.

There's a great place with lots of info on that stuff you know :D
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/C4CPC

[EDIT] Darn, eto beat me to it

banana

Thanks, I see it has room for 16 cartridges, but where can I find the original OS/Basic to place it in there?

Gryzor