News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 without sound connector?

Started by kikendo, 15:29, 27 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

kikendo

I just realized my 6128 has no sound connector.
I *clearly*  remember the old one I had having one! And descriptions online say in the I/O list "sound miniplug"

What gives? Were some models without it? Can I still add one?

Kris

Do you have a picture of your CPC ? I have never seen this and have some doubt.... :o

Bryce

Have you checked the left end of the case? All 6128s have a 3.5mm Jack socket there.

Bryce.

kikendo

Damn, what an idiot, there it is.
BUt this means the cable I was sold on eBay will not be able to reproduce audio through it, as it doesn't reach!
I guess I'll have to complain. I am also getting ghosting on it and I dunno if it is the cable or some problem inside the CPC :(

Bryce

You may have the 464 version of the cable. Did he claim it is for a 6128 too?

Bryce.

kikendo

Yes, it was described as "Amstrad CPC 464 & 6128 Gold Plated RGB Scart Lead / TV Cable".
The seller on eBay is "retro Computer Shack". I am pretty sure I have bought an RGB cable for other system from this seller before, but this cable clearly doesn't work with the 6128 or is faulty.

Here's the ghosting I see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7vtqphkxx18t0z/Photo%2027-01-2014%2014%2035%2041.jpg

chinnyhill10

Doesn't reach? You sure?

I bought a cable from that seller just 2 weeks ago and it is fine. Reaches the 3.5mm jack no problem.

No ghosting either.

Have you checked it on another screen? Some LCD's don't play nicely with the CPC's output.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

kikendo

Hmmm yeah, I guess I was wrong with the reach. It seems to reach fine.  :-X

Regarding ghosting, I use this TV with my Megadrive, Amiga and Dreamcast through RGB without any problems. This is some serious ghosting as I Haven't seen before. Some times teh screen goes black for a second, too.

gerald

kikendo

Nice, looks kinda like mine, yes.
I guess this is a fault with the LCD TV but it also means the seller shouldn't claim this works with LCDs as it clearly doesn't.

The Last Bandit

Quote from: kikendo on 16:42, 27 January 14
I guess this is a fault with the LCD TV but it also means the seller shouldn't claim this works with LCDs as it clearly doesn't.

That's a bit of a stretch.. I'm sure the cable works perfectly with some LCD's.

kikendo

Yes that would make sense, but the auction says "will not work in some", when actually it should say "it will work with some", as you just said.
Anyway, thank god for this website where people com up with fixes and whatnot!

redbox

Quote from: kikendo on 17:01, 27 January 14
Yes that would make sense, but the auction says "will not work in some", when actually it should say "it will work with some", as you just said.
Anyway, thank god for this website where people com up with fixes and whatnot!

You might find that a Sync Stripper sorts out the problems with your SCART connection - it 'cleans' the signal.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: kikendo on 16:42, 27 January 14

Can you test it on another TV?

The problem is that old computers and consoles put out signals that are technically out of spec. CRT's tolerate them, while LCD's don't.

It is perfectly possible that your CPC could be putting out a little more signal than it's supposed to due to ageing components.

It's very easy to blame the cable. Chances are the cable is fine. Check it on another TV and then get a multi metre to see if the signal the CPC is outputting is within spec. My guess is that the sync signal is slightly high.

I have a SNES that has a slightly high output. Some TV's tolerate it, others give a cross hatching pattern. One day I'll get around to sticking some resisters in the SCART cable.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

kikendo

Well, no , I have no other screen to test this.
I am mdifying a PSOne screen for RGB input, when I'm done with that, I'll test it there.

ralferoo

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:29, 27 January 14
The problem is that old computers and consoles put out signals that are technically out of spec. CRT's tolerate them, while LCD's don't.
Try doing "border 0" and seeing if you get a get a better picture (obviously, that's not much use for a game that has coloured borders)

The video signal generated by the CPC is definitely out of spec as it the RGB should be blanked at the same time as the composite would be during the front and back porch. Technically speaking, the front and back porch are composite inventions, but many LCD TVs use the same system for determining the "true black" signal level rather than just assuming it's 0v from GND. CRTs never seemed to do this.

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 00:35, 31 January 14
Try doing "border 0" and seeing if you get a get a better picture (obviously, that's not much use for a game that has coloured borders)

The video signal generated by the CPC is definitely out of spec as it the RGB should be blanked at the same time as the composite would be during the front and back porch. Technically speaking, the front and back porch are composite inventions, but many LCD TVs use the same system for determining the "true black" signal level rather than just assuming it's 0v from GND. CRTs never seemed to do this.

My S-Video adapter RGB SVideo - CPCWiki can deal with this amount specification deviation and fixes up the signal for LCD. But unfortunately S-Video can't deal with CRTC tricks like changing parameters mid scan, so some demos / games don't get displayed properly.

Bryce.