News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 won't boot

Started by CThiesUGP, 01:54, 18 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

CThiesUGP

HI plugged my 6128 into GT65 monitor today,It powers on alright but I don't get the usual "Amstrad 128k " boot screen" any speculation?

steve

I'll bet the colours are a bit muted as well. :laugh:

Bryce

Quote from: CThiesUGP on 01:54, 18 June 13
HI plugged my 6128 into GT65 monitor today,It powers on alright but I don't get the usual "Amstrad 128k " boot screen" any speculation?

What do you get? Screen with boarder? Completely black screen? Junk?

Bryce.

CThiesUGP

sometimes I get junk,sometimes a blank screen, depending on turning off and on. I doubt it's the power switch but I could try cleaning it[size=78%].I tested my 464 afterwards and it worked fine so I know it isn't the monitor.I don't have a color monitor to test it with[/size]

Bryce

Clean the contacts of the power switch. If that doesn't help then you probably have a broken RAM chip.

Bryce.

CThiesUGP

I cleaned the switch, nothing it's either blank screen or garbage. How do I test ram?

Bryce

Put your finger on them and see if any are getting hot.

Bryce.

JonB

HI CThiesUGP

I have a similar problem to you, maybe we should ask for our threads to be merged...?

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/cpc6128-white-screen-on-startup/

Only difference is I never see garbage and my screen seems to be white rather than grey but as I said that's possibly a matter of contrast / brightness on my LCD TV. Seeing junk (multicoloured pixels in random patterns perhaps?) does tend to implicate the RAM chips though..

Regards

JonB

steve

Or a Sticky thread entitled "what to do first if your computer doesn't work".

Bryce

Yes, when I get time, maybe I (and others) should put together a guide to repairing CPCs, with all the common symptoms and what to check / replace.

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: JonB on 09:29, 19 June 13
Seeing junk (multicoloured pixels in random patterns perhaps?) does tend to implicate the RAM chips though..
I'd say the opposite - it's a good sign the RAM, CRTC and gate array are working but the ROM or CPU isn't. The random patterns will be whatever random charge happens to be lingering in the RAM cells when it is switched on that then get preserved by the refresh of accessing them sequentially.

Gryzor

@Bryce: like a... service manual? :D

J/K, it'd be a great idea. Anything I can do to help.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:48, 20 June 13
@Bryce: like a... service manual? :D

J/K, it'd be a great idea. Anything I can do to help.

No. More than just a service manual. Service manuals are for people who already know what they should be doing. The SM doesn't suggest cleaning the power switch contacts or give you tips on how to take the switch apart to do it, with fancy colour photos.

Bryce.

endangermice

I think something along the lines of Art Margolis "Troubleshooting and Repairing your Commodore 64" would be excellent - though it is a hefty book so I'd never suggest any undertaking be made to produce something of similar length or detail. I've always felt it a shame that there isn't a book like it for the Amstrad. It's one of my favorite technical books of all time because not only does it provide a troubleshooting guide, but also bothers to take the time to describe exactly how the C64 works right down to the logic chips. It's like a course in electronics with the C64 as a test subject. If you can harness and understand the book you'll soon find that everything is repairable, it's certainly helped me repair many C64s over the years!

You can download a PDF from DHL's Commodore Archive Welcome to Bombjack.org.
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

CThiesUGP

!!!Huzzah!!!  IT WORKS. It was the CPU that bit the dust. Today I went to a local electronics shop that sells components, I knew they had Z80 4Mhz chips in stock  so I purchased one, got home and swapped the CPU and TADA!! IT WORKS  ;D . So a happy ending. a 6128 back from the dead!!. Thanks for all your help guys.

Bryce

Cool. Congratulations!

Bryce.

JonB

That must be a great relief, well done!

Munchausen

I was thinking something like the fault diagnosis and repair section of the 8bit_ula guide for the spectrum would be great:
The Lil Old ZX Spectrum 48k Service Manual

Bryce

That's what I was thinking too, but with a few pictures too.

Bryce.

Gryzor

@CThiesUGP: always so nice when a machine gets saved :)

Well, the wiki format is ideal for such an undertaking. Should we start it? Could I help somehow?

steve

Imagine a person has just bought his first CPC and it does not work properly, his first instinct is to ask a question in this forum, he will not know that a repair guide is hidden away in the wiki, but a stickied thread will be much more obvious to him.

Gryzor

...or, a stickied thread pointing to the wiki. As a platform, a forum is not ideal for such a guide, whereas mediawiki is natively geared toward it.

JonB

You need to write it first... ;)

Gryzor

Sure. Unfortunately I'm not technically-versed enough to do it, but if more capable people take this up I'll help all I can with making it into something readable.

Bryce

Yes, the formatting in the Wiki is much better for a guide than the Forum. I have quite a few notes somewhere and the rest in my head, so when I get time I'll start putting some stuff into Wiki format.

Bryce.