News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Panasonic JU256 drive with CPC

Started by kikendo, 16:06, 07 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

kikendo

I got this diskdrive and it refuses to be working with the CP I don't know why.

here are the mods I did to the drive:

I followed instructions on how to make the drive compatible with the Amiga, because all my Amiga drives work with the CPC.
The wiki says, though:
"JU-256, HD drive, needs jumper at 33-34 to force "Ready""

Does this mean this is the ONLY modification to be done to it?

Basically what I get is a "Disc missing" error when trying to run a disc.

Anybody has a clue?

Besides that, I would like to add the disk side switch. How can I do that? I have a modified header cable as described in the Wiki.

Thanks!

Bryce

Can you explain what all those links are? You seem to have 34 (Ready) connected to pin 32 (/RD) and pin 2 (Disk Change) connected to pin 33 (GND)?? The link to pin 10 (DS0) is probably making the drive be A:, what's all that other stuff about?

Bryce.

Edit: Give this a shot and tell me if it works any better: Remove the green link and the red link on the left. Then connect the two points furtherest to the left and see if you get better results.

kikendo

There are also two cut traces, marked with the red circles.
I have no idea, I just applied the modification, but it doesn't even seem to work on the Amiga.

I will try your suggestions!

gerald

I'll second Bryce suggestions.
Most 'compatibiilty' mod for amiga will not work with a CPC as they do not provide a real ready signal. Some of them, like the one you used, connect the read signal to the ready pin. This works on Amiga because the ready signal is read by SW, and the Amiga seems to consider that if it was low once, then the disk is OK for the duration of the access.
On the CPC, the ready signal is connected to the floppy controller and monitored during all the access. Should the ready signal go high during that access and the controller will abort.

kikendo

Great indepth on this guys. Thanks.
I made the wrong assumption that since all my Amiga drives work on the CPC, this was the right modification to do.

kikendo

Well you guys are geniuses, Bryce, that fixed it, it's working now!!! Even with the cut traces and stuff.
Seems like that signal on the green wire doesn't matter at all.

Now, how do I add a side A/B switch? Or should I just not bother?