News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8-Bit Eagle Component Libraries.

Started by Bryce, 14:13, 15 February 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all (but mainly those who are interested in developing 8-bit hardware),
       once again I had the pleasure of spending my free time sitting around in a hotel, but as usual, I spent the time being as productive as possible (without access to a soldering iron).

As many hobby electronics fans who use Eagle for their schematics will know, the component library lacks many of the special components used in our designs. Because of this, I have been creating my own parts over time and spent the last few days locating and dragging them into a single library for others to use.

The attached file can be used with Eagle 5.x / 6.x and includes parts such as:
Sound / Speech: SPO256, MEA8000, AY-3-8910, AY-3-8912 (24 + 28pin), SID
CPC Specific: CRTC6845, ACID, 50way edge Socket, Cartridge PCB edge
Floppy Controllers / Data Seperators: UPD765, FDC9216, FDC9266, SED9420
Memory: MMN4164

All parts include schematic symbols and footprints including stoplack, silkscreen, names, values, etc. The pins have also been correctly defined to allow proper ERC and DRC confirmation checks.

I have many more parts (I just need to find them) so I'll update the Library as I find more. If anybody needs any particular parts for a project, then let me know and I'll add those too.

Bryce.

SyX

Great Bryce!!!  :D

The last weekend, i was playing with Eagle a little, jejeje  ;)

Bryce

Eagle is not the most powerful schematic / layout software available, but it is simple enough to learn quickly and there's also a freeware version. The only limitation on the freeware version is the PCB size and component count, but both limitations are large enough to allow you to produce some pretty impressive hardware. That's why I'd recommend it to anyone who's considering developing hardware for the CPC. It's also available for Linux :)
To use the Library above, just copy it into the lbr directory in the Eagle directory.

Bryce.

@SyX: If you have any questions about using Eagle you can send me a PM.

SyX

Thanks Bryce!!!  :)

I was trying to refresh my CAD knowledge; because the last time, i was using Orcad in the faculty during the Klax times :P

Bryce

I use OrCAD too (at work). It offers a lot more options and it's a bit "cleverer" with Autorouting than Eagle, but the price makes it unreachable for most hobbiests (unless Donald Trump also does hobby electronics) and it's a lot more complicated to use.

Bryce.

00WReX

Oh wow, OrCAD...is that still around.
What a blast from the past, have not used that (or probably even thought about it) since my college days back in 88/89 is when I would have used it.

Cheer,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

OrCAD has come a long way since 88/89, when it was a Orange/Red on Black DOS program. It's Layout editor is at version 10.something or 11 now and has been broken up into Capture/Layout/FPGA Planner/PCB Layout editor and lots more. And the full package will set you back around 10K (That's dollars, not a resistor value).

Bryce.

00WReX

Yeh, I sorta guessed it may have evolved a bit since then  ;D

Interestingly, I just downloaded the Eagle software and noticed that it's copyright started in 88...so that's been around forever as well.
I'm sure that started from pretty humble beginnings as well.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

ralferoo

This will be useful... I don't have much requirement for 8-bit pads at the moment, but it'll certainly serve as an example in how to do this properly in Eagle.

I'm just starting with the freeware Eagle and found that creating a library isn't the most intuitive or easy thing to get right. In fact, I actually resorted to a python script to modify an existing component rather than fighting against the editor for my first couple of components.

On a semi-related note, do many people use KiCAD? I notice that a lot of free projects seem to be using that too...

Bryce

I've tried KiCAD, but the PCB manufacturers I use don't accept KiCAD files for production. Eagle is accepted by almost all PCB manufacturers.

Bryce.

Bryce

Here's an updated version of the library with the following changes:

1 - New Cartridge Edge connector (the old one didn't comply with certain PCB manufacturers strict rules).
2 - Added the 29F040 with socket foot-print (as used on the MegaFlash).

Bryce.

Bryce

Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I updated my Eagle Library again and thought I should post it in the same place.

Two additions have been made. The edge connector for an 8-Bit PC ISA card has been added (I did a small PC project lately) and on request, the 40010 Gate Array is now also in the library.

If anyone spots any mistakes then let me know.

Bryce.

robcfg

That's pretty useful, thank you!

Kris

Nice job !
Thank you for sharing  ;)