News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A couple of 464 questions

Started by tjohnson, 10:40, 20 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

tjohnson

I picked up a 464 to resurrect, everything has gone ok but a couple of minor niggles:
1) the tape counter reset button was seperate from the counter when i dismantled.  The counter works OK, but if the reset button is seperate, is it permanently broken?
2) the tape drive is a little erratic and doesn't consistently load cassettes.   the belt seems a little soft without much tension.  I'm going to replace the belt are there any other components that need cleaning or lubbing?
Thanks Trevor

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 10:40, 20 December 17
I picked up a 464 to resurrect, everything has gone ok but a couple of minor niggles:
1) the tape counter reset button was seperate from the counter when i dismantled.  The counter works OK, but if the reset button is seperate, is it permanently broken?
2) the tape drive is a little erratic and doesn't consistently load cassettes.   the belt seems a little soft without much tension.  I'm going to replace the belt are there any other components that need cleaning or lubbing?
Thanks Trevor

Ok, I'll bite.

1) The button is generally separate I think, did it slip off the spring, perhaps?
2) Sounds like a belt issue, only other issue may be the tape heads and the roller could also be filthy. Nothing that a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud wouldn't fix.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

rpalmer

Agree with shaun M. Neary that the erratic tape reads could be the belt.
The reset button is difficult to assess what it could be. The button may have become dislodged and hence not allow reset. Does it spring back when you press it? If not then it clearly suggests a broken spring.

rpalmer

tjohnson

Quote from: rpalmer on 11:20, 20 December 17
Agree with shaun M. Neary that the erratic tape reads could be the belt.
The reset button is difficult to assess what it could be. The button may have become dislodged and hence not allow reset. Does it spring back when you press it? If not then it clearly suggests a broken spring.

rpalmer
Thanks chaps  i don't think there was a spring when i dismantled, i suppose it could have gone flying without me noticing it but there was nothing obvious when i took it apart!  The button was stuck down at an angle in the case before hand.  When i took it apart the button was completely seperate from the counter.

I've cleaned up the rollers, ill get a new belt fitted and hopefully that will sort out the issue.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 11:55, 20 December 17
Thanks chaps  i don't think there was a spring when i dismantled, i suppose it could have gone flying without me noticing it but there was nothing obvious when i took it apart!  The button was stuck down at an angle in the case before hand.  When i took it apart the button was completely seperate from the counter.

Yep, there's your problem. The spring is gone.

QuoteI've cleaned up the rollers, ill get a new belt fitted and hopefully that will sort out the issue.

Usually does, nine times out of ten.
Best of luck.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

If the spring was gone it would always display 000 because there's only one spring doing both functions. It's more likely that the button has just broken off. You can glue it back on, but you'll have to dismantle the whole mechanism to do that.
As for the wobbly sound. If it's only happening on some tapes and not all, then it's likely that the tapes are stiff. Try fast forwarding the tapes completely to the end and then rewinding completely and see if that helps.

Bryce.

tjohnson

Quote from: Bryce on 13:17, 20 December 17
If the spring was gone it would always display 000 because there's only one spring doing both functions. It's more likely that the button has just broken off. You can glue it back on, but you'll have to dismantle the whole mechanism to do that.
As for the wobbly sound. If it's only happening on some tapes and not all, then it's likely that the tapes are stiff. Try fast forwarding the tapes completely to the end and then rewinding completely and see if that helps.

Bryce.
Thanks not sure i want to try and dismantle the tape counter, it could end in tears!  Will take another look soon.  I've tried rewinding and fast forward the taped. seems similar maybe slightly better hopefully a new belt will help too.  Cheers Trevor

Vyper68

Hi,

There is a guy who sells the 464 Cassette belts amongst a myriad of other goodies and also does complete new tape counter units and they are not expensive either, may be worth a look if you don't want to faff on taking the old one apart.

http://www.dataserve-retro.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1350.html
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul