News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Albireo - USB/SD/Serial interface for CPC

Started by PulkoMandy, 15:54, 18 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

PulkoMandy

After 32GB the FAT32 filesystem starts to use 32KB clusters, which seems a bit large for the typical files the CPC would be dealing with. It's very likely that the CH376 can't handle clusters this large. This is not a problem if you use direct sector access, however.

As for SD card compatibility, anything should work I hope. I tested no-name 4GB cards, and the Kingston card which came with my C4CPC. I don't see why there would be compatibility problems with other cards, but please test and report!

gerald

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 20:18, 01 March 16
After 32GB the FAT32 filesystem starts to use 32KB clusters, which seems a bit large for the typical files the CPC would be dealing with.
1Tb partition FAT32 uses 4k cluster  ;)

TFM

Thanks guys... getting one of this cards now and will check thoroughly ... ttyl!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

merlinkv

Hi,

Sorry too many posts to read all ...  :-[

It can works with AMSDOS or I need other ROM? I can create my dirs for apps/games an play directly from SD?

I know is too late.... but, please, count me for 2 boards at the next batch (if possible, of course) .....

My setup: CPC6128 (DualOS AMSDOS-PARADOS modded), MX4, X-MEM, X-MASS .....

PulkoMandy

Hi,
You will need another ROM to use it (not yet available). I only provide the hardware, but several of the buyers plan to write software for it.

The idea is to create directories and allow to load files from there. It will only work if the software does things the right way (if it works from tape or from Parados on drive B, you can hope things will be ok).

merlinkv

Do you serve board+components? It's very difficult to me to buy components  :-[  ... Also, do you serve as DIY kit or mounted?

PulkoMandy

The board comes assembled with everything and tested. No DIY kit as the components are too small for most people.

merlinkv

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 10:28, 02 March 16
The board comes assembled with everything and tested. No DIY kit as the components are too small for most people.

OK.

I see I'm in the lists now .... I wait your news about payment, shipment .....

Thanks

PulkoMandy

Yes, I don't want to get payment in advance so I'll contact you when your board is ready by private message. I am assembling the boards in my limited free time and there is no guarantee on the delays.

merlinkv

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 10:33, 02 March 16
Yes, I don't want to get payment in advance so I'll contact you when your board is ready by private message. I am assembling the boards in my limited free time and there is no guarantee on the delays.

OK
Thanks a lot!  :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Fessor on 08:34, 26 February 16
Software for testing it can be found at the end of the Page
Shinra Team
OK Mine arrived today, However I cannot seem to get the test software over to a CPC in a runnable form. I guess missing Amsdos Headers etc. Any chance of a DSK of the 2 programs, or is anything else coming along.... Like MicroSD storage and USB HID support in Symbos ;)

I can transfer the 2 progs to my machine with my Minibooster, but I cannot get it to create the header and I am too stupid to build it myself.

Thanks

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

PulkoMandy

The test programs are ASCII files so you should not add any kind of header. BASIC will take care of everything.

There is more useful software coming soon, but not yet, please be patient :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 23:15, 07 March 16
The test programs are ASCII files so you should not add any kind of header. BASIC will take care of everything.

There is more useful software coming soon, but not yet, please be patient :)

That is what I thought, It seems not, Let me play again.... with a transger with |GFA
Hmm No Joy... Either from |gf or |gfa :( They just crash the CPC. Can't load them either

Memory Full

:(

Something amiss methinks

PulkoMandy

Memory Full only happens if you have a binary file with header, or if you have set MEMORY to a very low value.

Well, if transfer methods don't work you can always type in the listing manually  :D

TFM

Use an Emulator with autotype function to create a DSK.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Hi! I bought such an micro SD card:

Card

But it doesn't fit in, can somebody point me to the right card?

TFM of FutureSoft

PulkoMandy

Hi,
It should fit, but the socket is a bit unusual, it is not the usual slide-and-click type.

You need to pull the socket in "unlock" position and lift it like this:

Then, slide the card in, fold the socket and lock it again.

Information about the SD socket: http://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/h/hirose/dm3cs-connector

Sorry for this unusual choice, it is much easier than the other ones to solder to the PCB.

TFM

Thanks for the update. Guess the socket is perfectly fine, guess also my phone has the same one. It was just a bit dark the other day and I'm neither so much into micro SD cards not I want to hurt the Albi. Thank you very much. :) :) :) [nb]And I already thought I bought the wrong card.  :picard: [/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

PulkoMandy

Information about payments
Please wait until I contact you with payment info (I will do so when I have a board ready to ship for you).I don't want to receive payments too much in advance then have people waiting on me to ship the boards. I would then have to handle the pressure of everyone waiting, and also possibly cancelling and rescheduling orders and whatnot. So I prefer that you pay only when your board is ready to ship. Thanks for your patience!

You can pay either using paypal or a bank account transfer. The price is 25 euros, or 30 euros if you want tracked shipping.
If you want, you can order multiple boards. However, I will try to get the boards in the hand of as much people as possible, so I may delay shipping of your second (and third, ...) boards.

Available software
Some good news on the software side: OffseT is making good progress with the software to access files on the board. It is now able to list and load files as well as change directories. Write support will come soon. This is developped with as much compatibility as possible, so it should be doable to use it for example in OCP or Starkos (and to run most file-based games).

Already shipped (with tracking numbers for those who chosen tracked shipping)

Please let me know when your board is delivered!

• 0 - PulkoMandy (delivered)
  • 1 - OffseT (delivered)
  • 2 - Gryzor (delivered)
  • 3 - Prodatron LA004676145FR
  • 4 - cpcmaniacoLA004875968FR
  • 5 - ||C||-||E|| (delivered)
  • 6 - TFM (x1) (delivered)
  • 7 - pelrun (delivered)
  • 8 - hsimpson (delivered)

• 9 - majikeyric (x1) (delivered)
  • 10 - SOS (delivered)
  • 11 - Audronic (delivered)
  • 12 - gros_minet (delivered)
  • 13 - Fessor (delivered)
  • 14 - Sykobee (Briggsy) (delivered)
  • 15 - CraigsBar
  • 16 - OffseT (replacement for board number 1 which didn't seem to work for him)
  • 17 - tonio8bits 1L01692919632

Batch 1 waiting list

• 18! - Optimus
  • 19! - Ast
  • 20 - skywalky
  • 21 - Jungsi
  • 22 - Poliander
  • 23 - Yannis_uno
  • 24 - Rennert
  • 25 - HAL6128
  • 26 - Joseman
  • 27 - Tai
  • 28* - Grim
  • 29 - reidrac

• 30 - cosa_nostra_6128
  • 31 - Targhan
  • 32 - oratyper
  • 33 - NiNxPe
  • 34 - Vandalsk (x1)
  • 35 - Dirtybb
  • 36 - Dubliner
  • 37 - ronaldo (x2)
  • 39~ - cpcmaniaco (x1)
  • 40 - Munchausen (x2)
  • 42 - jrodriguezv (x2)

• 44 - netmercer
  • 45 - Shining
  • 46 - archosmo
  • 47 - awergh
  • 48 - wilco2009
  • 49 - dodogildo
  • 50 - Apollo (x2)
  • 52 - dxs
  • 53 - AlexD
  • 54 - jaime
  • 55 - merlinkv (x1)
Batch 2 waiting list

• 56 - majikeyric (second board)
  • 57 - CraigsBar (second board)
  • 58 - TFM (second board)
  • 58 - tonio8bits (second board)
  • 58 - Merlinkv (second board)
  • 59 - (awaiting orders...)

TFM

Worked a little on my Albi yesterday. But I do miss a documentation of the bit of the status port (&FB81) of the CM376. Where can I find it?

TFM of FutureSoft

PulkoMandy

Page 20 of CH376DS1.pdf:
Bit 7 is the interrupt flag, active with low-level, equivalent INT# pin,
Bit 4 is the busy flag, active with high-level, equivalent to BZ pin of SPI interface

bit 4 stays high as long as the CH376 is busy with the last requested operation. When the operation is done, you can read the result. Some operations also trigger an interrupt on completion, in that case bit 7 is set when it happens. You can use this to decide if an interrupt comes from the CH376 or somewhere else (serial port, CURSOR, or some other hardware).

CraigsBar

This is I guess a question for @Prodatron Is there any chance of adding the Albireo USB Host and MicroSD cards to the Symbos Supported hardware list?

This way we could use a USB Mouse with Symbos and use a nice fast MicroSD card for storage

I am also really really wanting a working FAT32 storage driver for the CPC.

I have issues with my Xmass / DOM / ACMEDos setup and woudl love to have the simplicity of all those CNG Compacted single file games oin a single USBstick (Or MicroSD card) and run them from the CPC. I guess this is still months away, but can I not be a little impatient after the total downer that my Xmass has turned out to be?

I will soldier on with the Symboface II until the dream is realised and then the old (not 100% reliable) Symbiface hardwares (I have 2) will be put to rest. I'd rather use the MX4 formatted Xmem, Albireo PlayCity and RTC anyway, so long as all the same functionalities exist, Smaller, less wires, less power hungry etc....

CraigsBar

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 10:00, 26 March 16

Available software
Some good news on the software side: OffseT is making good progress with the software to access files on the board. It is now able to list and load files as well as change directories. Write support will come soon. This is developped with as much compatibility as possible, so it should be doable to use it for example in OCP or Starkos (and to run most file-based games).

How long off is a public Beta? is this going to be ROM based? can you and @OffseT make sure this works with ParaDOS please :) (|Drive with no parameter is still passed up the chain to the ROM is slot 7) as ACMEDos falls down here.

Read only is fine for testing surely. We can set up Fat32 FIle systems and copy the games from the CNG Compacted releases on out PC's and Macs then run it on the CPC :)

zhulien

Please add me for 2 of these, where to buy from?

PulkoMandy

Available software (update)

I didn't make a lot of progress on assembling the boards as I have moved to a new house and that kept me busy for some time. I will soon plug the soldering iron again and continue assembling and shipping the boards.

However, this does not mean the project is stalled. OffseT continues working on the software side. He now has complete read and write support working, natively integrated with the AMSDOS. The first version is loaded from disc, but there will be a ROM version as well. It should work with Parados, but I can't make any commitments yet because I'm not the one writing the software. The software will be demonstrated, and hopefully released, at the ReSeT party next month.

Information about payments
Please wait until I contact you with payment info (I will do so when I have a board ready to ship for you).I don't want to receive payments too much in advance then have people waiting on me to ship the boards. I would then have to handle the pressure of everyone waiting, and also possibly cancelling and rescheduling orders and whatnot. So I prefer that you pay only when your board is ready to ship. Thanks for your patience!

You can pay either using paypal or a bank account transfer. The price is 25 euros, or 30 euros if you want tracked shipping.
If you want, you can order multiple boards. However, I will try to get the boards in the hand of as much people as possible, so I may delay shipping of your second (and third, ...) boards.

Already shipped (with tracking numbers for those who chosen tracked shipping)

Please let me know when your board is delivered!

• 0 - PulkoMandy (delivered)
  • 1 - OffseT (delivered)
  • 2 - Gryzor (delivered)
  • 3 - Prodatron LA004676145FR
  • 4 - cpcmaniaco(delivered)
  • 5 - ||C||-||E|| (delivered)
  • 6 - TFM (x1) (delivered)
  • 7 - pelrun (delivered)
  • 8 - hsimpson (delivered)

• 9 - majikeyric (x1) (delivered)
  • 10 - SOS (delivered)
  • 11 - Audronic (delivered)
  • 12 - gros_minet (delivered)
  • 13 - Fessor (delivered)
  • 14 - Sykobee (Briggsy) (no tracking)
  • 15 - CraigsBar
  • 16 - OffseT (replacement for board number 1 which didn't seem to work for him)
  • 17 - tonio8bits 1L01692919632
  • 18 - PulkoMandy (rev.1 board kept for reference and testing)

Batch 1 waiting list

• 19! - Optimus
  • 20 - Ast
  • 21 - skywalky
  • 22 - Jungsi
  • 23 - Poliander
  • 24 - Yannis_uno
  • 25 - Rennert
  • 26 - HAL6128
  • 27 - Joseman
  • 28 - Tai
  • 29* - Grim