News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Albireo - USB/SD/Serial interface for CPC

Started by PulkoMandy, 15:54, 18 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Thank's for the update, great news!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Awesome news, thanks guys. Who'd have thought a couple of years ago that we'd have competing mass storage solutions on the CPC. I love it.

@Prodatron , @TFM is there any chance of getting albireo mass storage and USB mouse support in symbos and futureos?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:11, 10 June 16
Awesome news, thanks guys. Who'd have thought a couple of years ago that we'd have competing mass storage solutions on the CPC. I love it.

@TFM is there any chance of getting albireo mass storage and USB mouse support in FutureOS?

Of course, that's up on the 2DO list, and the Albi has a nice place on my MX4 board. However, recently I have to admit, there is so much new hardware, it's hard to keep up with everything. BTW: Can you suggest a mouse which would work with the Albi? I'm not sure if I can just take any USB mouse.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 15:32, 10 June 16

Of course, that's up on the 2DO list, and the Albi has a nice place on my MX4 board. However, recently I have to admit, there is so much new hardware, it's hard to keep up with everything. BTW: Can you suggest a mouse which would work with the Albi? I'm not sure if I can just take any USB mouse.  :)
Well it'd be great to start with a basic 2 button and scroll wheel mouse. Wireless would be a bonus but probably not practical. Aren't most wired w button and scroll wheel mice made to the Logitech standards anyway?

PulkoMandy

Any USB mouse can be made to work. To keep things simple, it's better if they support "boot mode". I think most USB mouse support this. If it works on your PC BIOS, it probably does.
(Logitech is not involved, this is part of standard USB HID).
The boot mode supports 3 buttons and 1 wheel, which should cover most needs.

For more complex mouses, you can also use them if you can figure out how the HID report is formatted (either analyzing what changes when you click buttons, or parsing the HID report from your mouse).

The USB port will have to power the mouse, make sure it doesn't need too much power (if it has a lot of LED lights or whatever fancy gadgets you may have problems).

TFM

Ok, so I take some USB mouse from PC with no(t much) LED.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I did receive my card btw, thanks!

Haven't had much of a chance yet to use it, but it looks like it will be very usable soon :D

Munchausen

@PulkoMandy can I change my order to just one board please?

Audronic

@ PulkoMandy

I have a 6128 with MotherX4 Plus X-mem, and Albireo.
I am having problems with the Basic program.
I have merged the 2 programs together OK.
Run the program and it says that the CH376 is Detected (rev.    4)

Press 1 Select USB drive (1 Gig Fat 32 with some programs on the Usb Drive)
Press 3 and it Does this ( In Photo )
If i then press 4 I get an overflow in 330   ???

Where do I go from here ??

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 14:08, 14 June 16
@PulkoMandy

I have a 6128 with MotherX4 Plus X-mem, and Albireo.
I am having problems with the Basic program.
I have merged the 2 programs together OK.
Run the program and it says that the CH376 is Detected (rev.    4)

Press 1 Select USB drive (1 Gig Fat 32 with some programs on the Usb Drive)
Press 3 and it Does this ( In Photo )
If i then press 4 I get an overflow in 330   ???

Where do I go from here ??

Thanks   Ray

Possibly your flash drive. I tested your programs with a no name 2gb Flash Drive and all work fine for me. I cannot find a cabled USB Mouse so cannot test the HID test, but that part needs a type correcting in line 531... change the  , to : otherwuse you get a syntax error.

Craig

TFM

Test an 32 GB USB stick... then you see.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Audronic

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:54, 14 June 16

Possibly your flash drive. I tested your programs with a no name 2gb Flash Drive and all work fine for me. I cannot find a cabled USB Mouse so cannot test the HID test, but that part needs a type correcting in line 531... change the  , to : otherwuse you get a syntax error.
Craig

Thanks Craig I will try an other 2 Gig Flash drive, and thanks for the : verses the , in Line 531
I looked in the book and was unable to find the ? separator ? between commands. (I am NOT a Programmer).

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

@PulkoMandy

Part 2

I am having problems with the Basic program. I have corrected the Syntax in 531.[/font]

Press 1 Select USB drive (Tried with 1/4/8 Gig Fat 32 with some programs on the Usb Drive).
I Get the Error Interrupt Status = 1F
after the second press of 1 it Identifies the USB Stick.

Press 4 and i get an OVERFLOW in 330. ??

Some Help Please.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

PulkoMandy

The BASIC is limited to 32bit numbers, so yes, you get an overflow for large drives (I think above 4GB is "large" for the CPC). You can skip command 4 and use 5 to see if you can still list files.

OffseT is working hard on getting the complete driver with AMSDOS integration completed. He plans to finish the ROM version during or shortly after the ReSeT party (next week). This one should not have this problem, I hope. Maybe it will not show the correct capacity for such large drives, however.

Audronic

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 07:54, 15 June 16
The BASIC is limited to 32bit numbers, so yes, you get an overflow for large drives (I think above 4GB is "large" for the CPC). You can skip command 4 and use 5 to see if you can still list files.

OffseT is working hard on getting the complete driver with AMSDOS integration completed. He plans to finish the ROM version during or shortly after the ReSeT party (next week). This one should not have this problem, I hope. Maybe it will not show the correct capacity for such large drives, however.

OK thanks i will have a look for a smaller USB stick and see what happens.

The switches, is there a default that is used.

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@ PulkoMandy

I tried with a 128 Meg SD Card (Fat32) and the same Overflow in 330

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TFM

Ok, can you try this one? It displays in hexadecimal and in sectors only. It should work though :-)

EDIT: DSK deleted, please use the one in my subsequent post.
TFM of FutureSoft

Audronic

Quote from: TFM on 19:35, 15 June 16
Ok, can you try this one? It displays in hexadecimal and in sectors only. It should work though :-)
Hi TFM

Thanks it works no more overflow in 330, and as a Proof of Concept it means that the board works Ok with the USB Stick.

Now I can start to test the SD Card.

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TFM

Oh, yesterday I had some time to work with the nice little Albireo and I saw there was another type in the BASIC program. I changed it and also made some things a bit more different: When I use the HID mouse it displays interrupt error &23 (it expects another one). Now it will not scroll through any longer. Also I exchanged up and down, so the mouse point it now shown where the mouse is moved. Also added another version of the program where plot is replaced by draw, so you see the mouse tracks more clear. Enjoy mousing around.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Audronic

@PulkoMandy

Unit # 10 sent to Audronics Works -- Yeahhh
I used TFM's Albireo.dsk  Thanks TFM.
Usb stick OK
Micro SD Card   OK
Rodent Plugged into Usb Port OK

Just waiting for some Programs for the Albireo - File/Rom

Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

PulkoMandy

Available software (update)

Ok I had some time for hacking during the ReSeT party.

For the overflow, just change the DEFINT near the top of the listing from DEFINT A-Z to DEFINT U-Z. The sector size code will then use floats which avoids the overflow.

I've seen some great prototypes of the software for the board. OffseT has all the SD and USB card access working from BASIC, with the usual save/load/cat/... commands. Currently this is a bit difficult to use as the code lives in RAM, but he is in the process of converting it into a ROM which will replace ROM 7 AMSDOS. With this setup, SD card will be drive A and USB will be drive B, to provide maximal compatibility with existing software.

CloudStrife also made progress on a file transfer tool using the serial port. The PC side is written in Python and there is a BASIC+ASM code which you can use on the CPC side. The listing is short and allows to download a file from the PC to the CPC RAM. You can type this in on the CPC and then use it to load anything else. So even if you don't have any floppies available, you can easily get started with the board and download the ROM or other software to use with it.

Without much optimizations we are already running at 43KB/s, that is, it takes less than 3 seconds to fill the CPC RAM. We can get the serial routines to be even faster than this, there is room for lots of improvements. We have also experimented with the ability to reset the CPC from the PC side of the serial link, which works great.

I don't have any binaries yet, I leave that to the people working on the software.

Cloudstrife got one board and will continue to develop the serial transfer software.

Information about payments
Please wait until I contact you with payment info (I will do so when I have a board ready to ship for you).I don't want to receive payments too much in advance then have people waiting on me to ship the boards. I would then have to handle the pressure of everyone waiting, and also possibly cancelling and rescheduling orders and whatnot. So I prefer that you pay only when your board is ready to ship. Thanks for your patience!

You can pay either using paypal or a bank account transfer. The price is 25 euros, or 30 euros if you want tracked shipping.
If you want, you can order multiple boards. However, I will try to get the boards in the hand of as much people as possible, so I may delay shipping of your second (and third, ...) boards.

I'm assembling the boards on my free time, which is unfortunately a scarce resource. Please be patient.

Already shipped (with tracking numbers for those who chosen tracked shipping)

Please let me know when your board is delivered!

• 0 - PulkoMandy (delivered)
  • 1 - OffseT (delivered)
  • 2 - Gryzor (delivered)
  • 3 - Prodatron (delivered)
  • 4 - cpcmaniaco(delivered)
  • 5 - ||C||-||E|| (delivered)
  • 6 - TFM (x1) (delivered)
  • 7 - pelrun (delivered)
  • 8 - hsimpson (delivered)
  • 9 - majikeyric (x1) (delivered)
  • 10 - SOS (delivered)
  • 11 - Audronic (delivered)

• 12 - gros_minet (delivered)
  • 13 - Fessor (delivered)
  • 14 - Sykobee (Briggsy) (no tracking)
  • 15 - CraigsBar
  • 16 - OffseT (replacement for board number 1 which didn't seem to work for him)
  • 17 - tonio8bits 1L01692919632
  • 18 - PulkoMandy (rev.1 board kept for reference and testing)
  • 19 - CloudStrife
  • 20 - Hicks
  • 21 - Prodatron (replacement for broken prototype board)
  • 23 - Gerald (for investigation of serial port problems)

Batch 1 waiting list

• 22 - skywalky
  • 24 - Jungsi
  • 25 - Poliander
  • 26 - Yannis_uno
  • 27 - Rennert
  • 28 - HAL6128
  • 29 - Joseman
  • 30 - Tai
  • 31* - Grim
  • 32 - cosa_nostra_6128
  • 33 - Targhan
  • 34 - oratyper

• 35 - NiNxPe
  • 36 - Vandalsk (x1)
  • 37 - Dirtybb
  • 38 - Dubliner
  • 39 - ronaldo (x1)
  • 40~ - cpcmaniaco (x1)
  • 41 - Munchausen
  • 42 - jrodriguezv (x1)
  • 43 - netmercer
  • 44 - Shining
  • 45 - archosmo

• 46 - awergh
  • 47 - wilco2009
  • 48 - dodogildo
  • 49 - Apollo (x1)
  • 50 - Ast
  • 51 - dxs
  • 52 - AlexD
  • 53 - jaime
  • 54 - merlinkv (x1)
  • 55 - zhulien (x1)

Batch 2 waiting list

• 56 - Tolkin (x1)
  • 57 - Skunkfish
  • 58 - madram
  • 59 - Krusty
  • 60 - Beb
  • 61 - Eliot
  • 62 - Optimus
  • 63 - slarti
  • 64 - roudoudou
  • 65 - majikeyric (second board)
  • 66 - CraigsBar (second board)
  • 67 - TFM (second board)
  • 68 - tonio8bits (second board)
  • 69 - Merlinkv (second board)
  • 70 - Ronaldo (second board)
  • 71 - Zhulien (second board)
  • 72 - jrodriguezv (second board)
  • 73 - Tolkin (x2)
  • 75 - Apollo (second board)
  • 76 - Proteus (x2)
  • 78 - Madram (x2 - for OvL)
  • 80 - (awaiting orders...)

remax

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 09:28, 27 June 16

Available software (update)

Ok I had some time for hacking during the ReSeT party.For the overflow, just change the DEFINT near the top of the listing from DEFINT A-Z to DEFINT U-Z. The sector size code will then use floats which avoids the overflow.I've seen some great prototypes of the software for the board. OffseT has all the SD and USB card access working from BASIC, with the usual save/load/cat/... commands. Currently this is a bit difficult to use as the code lives in RAM, but he is in the process of converting it into a ROM which will replace ROM 7 AMSDOS. With this setup, SD card will be drive A and USB will be drive B, to provide maximal compatibility with existing software.CloudStrife also made progress on a file transfer tool using the serial port. The PC side is written in Python and there is a BASIC+ASM code which you can use on the CPC side. The listing is short and allows to download a file from the PC to the CPC RAM. You can type this in on the CPC and then use it to load anything else. So even if you don't have any floppies available, you can easily get started with the board and download the ROM or other software to use with it.Without much optimizations we are already running at 43KB/s, that is, it takes less than 3 seconds to fill the CPC RAM. We can get the serial routines to be even faster than this, there is room for lots of improvements. We have also experimented with the ability to reset the CPC from the PC side of the serial link, which works great.

I don't have nay binaries yet, I leave that to the people working on the software.

Targhan got one board and I hope he will be working on updating the Arkos ROMs and the Arkos Tracker client software for compatibility with this new board.

Information about payments
Please wait until I contact you with payment info (I will do so when I have a board ready to ship for you).I don't want to receive payments too much in advance then have people waiting on me to ship the boards. I would then have to handle the pressure of everyone waiting, and also possibly cancelling and rescheduling orders and whatnot. So I prefer that you pay only when your board is ready to ship. Thanks for your patience!

You can pay either using paypal or a bank account transfer. The price is 25 euros, or 30 euros if you want tracked shipping.
If you want, you can order multiple boards. However, I will try to get the boards in the hand of as much people as possible, so I may delay shipping of your second (and third, ...) boards.

I'm assembling the boards on my free time, which is unfortunately a scarce resource. Please be patient.

Already shipped (with tracking numbers for those who chosen tracked shipping)

Please let me know when your board is delivered!

• 0 - PulkoMandy (delivered)

• 1 - OffseT (delivered)

• 2 - Gryzor (delivered)

• 3 - Prodatron LA004676145FR

• 4 - cpcmaniaco(delivered)

• 5 - ||C||-||E|| (delivered)

• 6 - TFM (x1) (delivered)

• 7 - pelrun (delivered)

• 8 - hsimpson (delivered)

• 9 - majikeyric (x1) (delivered)

• 10 - SOS (delivered)

• 11 - Audronic (delivered)

• 12 - gros_minet (delivered)

• 13 - Fessor (delivered)

• 14 - Sykobee (Briggsy) (no tracking)

• 15 - CraigsBar

• 16 - OffseT (replacement for board number 1 which didn't seem to work for him)

• 17 - tonio8bits 1L01692919632

• 18 - PulkoMandy (rev.1 board kept for reference and testing)

• 19 - Targhan

• 20 - Hicks

Batch 1 waiting list

• 21 - skywalky

• 22 - Jungsi

• 23 - Poliander

• 24 - Yannis_uno

• 25 - Rennert

• 26 - HAL6128

• 27 - Joseman

• 28 - Tai

• 29* - Grim

• 30 - cosa_nostra_6128

• 31 - Optimus

• 32 - oratyper

• 33 - NiNxPe

• 34 - Vandalsk (x1)

• 35 - Dirtybb

• 36 - Dubliner

• 37 - ronaldo (x1)

• 38~ - cpcmaniaco (x1)

• 39 - Munchausen

• 40 - jrodriguezv (x1)

• 41 - netmercer

• 42 - Shining

• 43 - archosmo

• 44 - awergh

• 45 - wilco2009

• 46 - dodogildo

• 47 - Apollo (x1)

• 48 - Ast

• 49 - dxs

• 50 - AlexD

• 51 - jaime

• 52 - merlinkv (x1)

• 53 - zhulien (x1)

• 54 - Tolkin (x1)

• 55 - Skunkfish
Batch 2 waiting list

• 56 - madram

• 57 - Krusty

• 58 - Beb

• 59 - majikeyric (second board)

• 60 - CraigsBar (second board)

• 61 - TFM (second board)

• 62 - tonio8bits (second board)

• 63 - Merlinkv (second board)

• 64 - Ronaldo (second board)

• 65 - Zhulien (second board)

• 66 - jrodriguezv (second board)

• 67 - Tolkin (x2)

• 68 - Apollo (second board)

• 69 - (awaiting orders...)
Brain Radioactivity

skywalky

TFM

Well, in the mouse HID part of the basic listing there are lines like:

OUT CMD,&15:OUT &CMD,&7
OUT CMD,&15:OUT &CMD,&6

I guess this should be DAT instead of CMD for the 2nd OUT:

OUT CMD,&15:OUT &DAT,&7
OUT CMD,&15:OUT &DAT,&6

Interestingly both versions of the program work.
TFM of FutureSoft

Audronic

@PulkoMandy

Any Update on software available or any links  Please
Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,