News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

aleste 520ex colours

Started by arnoldemu, 10:24, 11 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I have been looking at the aleste schematics again.
I see it generates luminance so should be useable with GT64 and MM12.

However, the schematics don't give the resistor values for the conversion of digital to analogue for the colours and also for generating the luminance... so I can't emulate this correctly in Arnold yet.

Anyone help who has a real one or a hi-res photo/scan of the motherboard?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Cpcmaniaco

Jaime - Deepfb has one.

I will see him tomorrow and tell him about that.

Xyphoe

Photos here - http://aleste520.narod.ru/html/galery.html - but a bit small and probably of no use to you

*edit* its the same pics on the CPC Wiki article, apologies - not what you're looking for is it.

Bryce

This foto here is large enough to recognise the resistor values: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/2/2d/Deepfb-aleste-without-keyboard.jpg

Which resistors are you referring to?

Bryce.

Bryce

By the way, I see you added some info to the Wiki, stating that the Lum signal goes from 0 to 5V. If Amstrad adhered to the JVC S-Video Specification, then the Lum signal should be a 0 to 4V signal where <1.3V = Pure black. Although 5V wouldn't damage the monitor, just the surface of your retina :D

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 13:30, 11 March 11
By the way, I see you added some info to the Wiki, stating that the Lum signal goes from 0 to 5V. If Amstrad adhered to the JVC S-Video Specification, then the Lum signal should be a 0 to 4V signal where <1.3V = Pure black. Although 5V wouldn't damage the monitor, just the surface of your retina :D

Bryce.

The lum is calculated from the r,g,b using resistors, then passed through a transistor (Q102) I think. One input is 5v, other is lum. Does this adjust the signal so that it is in that range?

EDIT: It seems following this there is a resistor, so perhaps that then brings it down to 0 to 4v.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 11:33, 11 March 11
This foto here is large enough to recognise the resistor values: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/2/2d/Deepfb-aleste-without-keyboard.jpg

Which resistors are you referring to?

Bryce.

oK there are 3 vertically together.
They are near the massive blue capacitor thing on the left side.
Look to the IC next to that (positioned vertically) and look up a cm or so. there are 3 vertically here.
near to the cylinder capacitors (greenish colour), a flat grey looking one, and some kind of orange connector thingy. On e has green on it, next to it is orangy, then another orangy one.

now, the main colour ones, well they are hidden in this picture.
they are under the chip thing that has rectangle of red and blue on it (red is some kind of capacitor).
there is a red square block thing to the left, they are under here.
they are horizontally positioned. damn.
top one seems to be greenish in colour.

The component map identifies their location, they are:

R52-R61 inclusive.
My games. My Games

Bryce

Wow, I actually understood that description :D But alas, the resistors aren't "readable" in this picture, especially the redish coloured ones.

The massive blue thing is actually a 3.3 / 3.6V rechargeable battery like the ones used for battery backup of RAM, so obviously a mod, definitely not part of the original product. I suspect the orange block things are some sort of inductor or capacitor. The flat grey thing is probably a 1W resistor. Are the schematics available on the Wiki?

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 14:50, 11 March 11
Wow, I actually understood that description :D But alas, the resistors aren't "readable" in this picture, especially the redish coloured ones.

The massive blue thing is actually a 3.3 / 3.6V rechargeable battery like the ones used for battery backup of RAM, so obviously a mod, definitely not part of the original product. I suspect the orange block things are some sort of inductor or capacitor. The flat grey thing is probably a 1W resistor. Are the schematics available on the Wiki?

Bryce.
Yes the schematics are available.
And also the board layout, but nowhere does it say the values for the resistors ;)
My games. My Games

Bryce

What a strange schematic??? Who goes to the bother of creating an entire schematic and then doesn't bother to enter the component values???

Bryce.

robcfg

Thou shall not fear, my friend. I'll ask Deepfb to bring his Aleste and scan its PCB. ;)

Gryzor

If you get him to mail it to me I'll make sure I'll scan and photo everything in super high-rez :D

deepfb

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy these weeks.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:10, 11 March 11
oK there are 3 vertically together.
They are near the massive blue capacitor thing on the left side.
Look to the IC next to that (positioned vertically) and look up a cm or so. there are 3 vertically here.
near to the cylinder capacitors (greenish colour), a flat grey looking one, and some kind of orange connector thingy. On e has green on it, next to it is orangy, then another orangy one.

The green one is brown-red-red-silver, so it's a 1K2 resistor. The one in the middle has no colours on the surface, but I could read the value written under it: 6K8. Finally, the one on the right is labelled 3K3.

I have used the voltmeter on them, and the measures match with this information :-)

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:10, 11 March 11
now, the main colour ones, well they are hidden in this picture.
they are under the chip thing that has rectangle of red and blue on it (red is some kind of capacitor).
there is a red square block thing to the left, they are under here.
they are horizontally positioned. damn.
top one seems to be greenish in colour.

They are, from top to down:
- Orange-blue-brown-gold (360 Ohms)
- Red-red-brown-gold (220 Ohms)

Again, I've tested them and the measures match with the colours :-D
This is a pic of them:

Thanks for including this awesome computer on Arnold! :-)