News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 3.5 external floppy disk

Started by Beaps, 15:18, 19 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaps

Hi all.

I gotta external amstrad 3' DD-1 floppy drive that I cannot use (carnt find the ribbon)

I was thinking of taking out the 3' drive and installing 3.5 drive instead. As the drive plugs in use that to power the 3.5 and buy a ribbon from this unit to the back of my 6128.

Could it be done?

Bryce

You'll need to make a conversion cable for inside the disk drive too. A standard 3.5in drive has a 34pin connector, the 3in drive has a 26pin connector. Easier to just make a direct connection to the 6128 and don't touch the 3in drive.

Bryce.

Beaps

I saw on ebay the ribbon is £12 & the power to the 3.5 id £10.

Is there a cheap way to do this?

Bryce

Make them yourself? The ribbon cable is easy to make. Any 12V/5V power supply will do.

Bryce.

Edit: Here is both together for 12 pounds: AMSTRAD KIT: POWER SUPPLY FOR AMSTRAD AND 3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE + RIBBON CABLE |

Beaps

I got loads of 3.5 ribbons but how do I connect it to the Amstrad, its the same size on both ends?

Beaps

Quote from: Beaps on 15:59, 19 June 12
I got loads of 3.5 ribbons but how do I connect it to the Amstrad, its the same size on both ends?

Yer and another £5 postage  :o

Bryce

Beaps

shame, my ribbons dont look like that mate  :'(

Bryce

Yeah, that's more or less all you need.

Bryce.

Cholo

Here is a quide on the cable:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5

Quite easy .. especially if you dont use either the side switch or the primary switch. I always forget what side to use for what and if i run into a game that "must" be run from the internal A: drive i simply just copy the game from external B: to internal A:  (sometimes running the game on a real 3" on the internal drive is simply that much more easy).
Anyways, all you really need is that cable and somehow short pin 33 and 34 on the ribbon cable and you are set to go. Oh, and a floppy drive + some way to power it of cause. Do note that some drives work less well than others.

Bryce

I should probably upload my Powerpoint diagram to that page. Will do it when I have time.

Bryce.

Beaps

Great that would help no end

Beaps

hummmm bit stuck now
I only have a laptop with a USB floppy drive attached & I cant format it so the amstrad can read it  :(

Bryce

Nope. USB Floppies don't allow the raw access, you'll need a PC with an internal floppy.

Bryce.

Beaps

no way, hummmmmm I need to get another pc with a floppy from somewhere ( it never stops)

Beaps

Here is my effort...  :-\

TotO

If someone want to make a Floppy driver for the Kryoflux... :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MugUK

Quote from: TotO on 10:59, 22 June 12
If someone want to make a Floppy driver for the Kryoflux... :D

Going for a beer with Christian of Kryoflux at the end of July.  I can ask him about Amstrad stuff whilst there as I've got a load of originals I'd like to get dumped :)
I love poking (and peeking) around files.  I used to write saved-game editors on the Atari ST (and Amiga) using GFA BASIC, so looking forward to having some fun with my 6128 :)

Cholo

at MugUK:
You can already dump your unprotected games discs yourself with Kryoflux if you want. All the information is hiding in here (in the emulator section even tho it probably belong in the programming section):
Image 3" floppy disks for emulator
http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=278

In theory you can also dump your protected discs this way, as you can attempt to make a image dump of a protected game disc (like using Xeror) to a empty disc (unprotected of cause) and then transfer that instead. Then on the pc you can unextract the Xeror-image-file from the dsk (like managedsk) and run it in Winape (if its compatible) or you can try unextracting it again inside the emulator. All quite a big adventure though :D

at Beaps:
Nice mod you got there  ;D Sadly yes, cant really transfer discs from PC to 3.5" using usb floppy and as Bryce mentioned it can only be done from a pc with a "old style" internal floppy drive because the drivers need direct access (or something). Do note that you can still format the floppies and use them on the amstrad as you would any other floppy (aka format with CPM discs or other software). Its only the transfer bit that impossible without a pc with internal floppy.

CPM discs if u need em:
Amstrad Spares & Peripherals

(probably a good idea to have a manual as well as formatting takes quite a few steps).

Cholo

at Beaps:

Note that there is software on the amstrad that can read pc formatted floppies. So instead of getting a whole new pc .. you could stick to using your current pc+usb floppy and manual copy instead.

Of cause it requires that you already have some software on your amstrad that reads pc floppies. Like i suggest using Symbos as i know it can read and write directly to 720kb pc floppies and it even comes with a DSK extractor as well. You can then just stick some DSK files on a 720kb pc floppy and then extract them to 3" floppy.

Symbos:
http://www.symbos.de/

NOTE: Symbos does not require any extra hardware to run on your 6128 as you can simply use a joystick as a "mouse" and the build in 128kb ram of the 6128 is enough to run the dsk extractor DiskDeDumper) and enough to run the filecopier as well (Symcommander).

Of cause it requires that you already have Symbos (or similar software) on 3" disc or know another way to get hold of it. (aka if all else fails send me a PM and ill send you a 3" with symbos if u need).

protek

Beaps, I hope you don't mind me stealing your thread as I have a little problem of my own with an external 3,5" floppy.
I got a Panasonic JU257A606P. It needs only 5 Volts so powering is easy with a wall wart and a simple adapter cable. The problem is that the Panasonic just spins infinitely and I'm not able to read either a or b. The ribbon cable is aligned as per color coding in the CPC and floppy, there's no twist in the cable between them and the RDY is shorted. Am I missing something?

Bryce

Well the first thing you're missing is information: What type a CPC are you using? What connect diagram did you use? Is the LED on the floppy lighting?

Bryce.

P.s. Permanently spinning disk is the usual sign that the cable at the floppy is the wrong way around.

protek

Quote from: Bryce on 15:49, 16 July 12
Well the first thing you're missing is information: What type a CPC are you using? What connect diagram did you use? Is the LED on the floppy lighting?

Bryce.

P.s. Permanently spinning disk is the usual sign that the cable at the floppy is the wrong way around.
Oh yes, I have a bog standard 6128. I made the connection according to the first instruction the CPCWiki DIY section. Led stays lit all the time.

Yes, I remember that infinitely spinnig drive is a symptom of ribbon being the wrong way round. I suppose trying flipping the cable wouldn't hurt in this case?

Bryce

I'd give it a go. Also, have you changed the drive from DS1 to DS0? If not you'll still have problems, and as far as my documents are concerned, the Panasonic JU257A606P can also supply the ready signal if you move the bridge, have you done this? Or are you bridging the wires on the connector cable?

Bryce.