News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 6128Plus Reset

Started by xesrjb, 14:10, 26 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

xesrjb

What and how is the best way to install a Reset at my Amstrad 6128Plus?

xesrjb

PS: or should I save the case and install an external?

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

CPCIak

Bryce

Which ever you decide (internal or external), you need to connect a push-button between pin 40 (Bus Reset) and pin 49 (GND) on the expansion port. this will work as a reset button.

Bryce.

CPCIak

You're right Bryce. Please have a look at amstradtoday.com: There you'll find an external solution without penetrating the CPC.

Bryce

Oh, didn't realise the link led to a solution :D

Bryce.

spybro

actually the best place is to put a switch or a button over the headphones like you can see on mine
i use this place either as a reset button or a abba switch

Gryzor

How far into the case do extensions go? I mean, I had built a rudimentary reset button once, but internally would be even better. So I guess, you should short the pins far enough into the board to allow external devices to plug in without causing any trouble...

Bryce

@Gryzor
     I assume you're talking about edge-connector expansions? Centronics and Plus machines have closed connectors, so it's usually completely behind the connector that you'll be soldering, so it wont disturb external expansions. Edge connector CPCs use the entire exposed track area, so you shouldn't solder anything there or your expansions wont insert fully (not good), but you can always follow the track back to the next component pin and solder the wire on there, pin 40 (Bus Reset) goes back to pin 2 of IC110 or to one side of R102 (2.2K) in the 6128, so you could use this point. As far as GND is concerned, it can be found all over the PCB. I also personally prefer to solder onto the bottom side of the PCB, so that the new wires are hidden below.

Bryce.

spybro

Quote from: Bryce on 16:14, 26 July 10
I also personally prefer to solder onto the bottom side of the PCB, so that the new wires are hidden below.

for those that have soldering experience is the best solution
but
for all the others it would be better if they just soldered the back side of the connector

xesrjb

Quote from: Bryce on 16:14, 26 July 10pin 2 of IC110 or to one side of R102 (2.2K) in the 6128

And the solution for the CPC 6128Plus is???

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

Gryzor

@Bryce - thanks mate, appreciate the clarification...

Bryce

@xesrjb,
      on the plus you can just solder directly on to the pins behind the expansion port connector. But if you REALLY want to find somewhere else on the PCB, then you could always use Pin 159 of the ASIC (IC101) or the correct side of R118 (2.2K), but both of these options are much riskier (especially if soldering is not your thing) than using the back of the connector.

Bryce.