News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Console Game Tap

Started by ukmarkh, 15:01, 09 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Amstrad console, 1985... Fake information or true?

Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP]Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP[/url]

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:01, 09 March 16
Amstrad console, 1985... Fake information or true?

Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP]Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP Classic Replay: AMSTRAD GAME-TAP

Is it a fake? What do you think?  :picard:
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

3 weeks and 2 days early I think.

ukmarkh

Thought it might be...  ;)

Bryce

An Amstrad where the word Colour is spelt without a "u"? :D They'll have to try harder next time.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 15:53, 09 March 16
An Amstrad where the word Colour is spelt without a "u"? :D They'll have to try harder next time.

Bryce.

Imagine the meeting:

"Alan, we're working on the the 464 and we want to do a console instead. And by the way it won't be ready for Xmas so we'll have to launch it on New Years day thereby missing the peak sales period".

And that's ignoring the terrible mock up, the bulls*t in the text and the 1988 logo on the main case when it claims the console is to launch New Years Day 1984 (and we all know how busy Amstrad was at that time with the 464).

Terrible cynical clickbait.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Actually, the originator: Android Arts  does some really nice mockup art, the site is well worth a browse.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 16:11, 09 March 16
Actually, the originator: Android Arts  does some really nice mockup art, the site is well worth a browse.

Bryce.

I agree, Chinnyhill needs to calm down and Amstrad on  ;)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:19, 09 March 16

I agree, Chinnyhill needs to calm down and Amstrad on  ;)

Sorry didn't realise it was your clickbait I was criticising. Very poor show and an extremely cynical way to get clicks to your site. We Amstrad owners have to take enough stick without stuff like that being touted around as "news".
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 16:11, 09 March 16

Bryce.

He appears to have some decent mock-ups. But it is clear they are mock-ups. In context as mocks they are fine. But when you try to pass this off as a news item it quickly spreads around the net as "fact". We CPC owners get enough stick let alone someone starts pretending their was a flop cassette console with a bad specification and poor build quality.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ukmarkh

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 16:25, 09 March 16

Sorry didn't realise it was your clickbait I was criticising. Very poor show and an extremely cynical way to get clicks to your site.

I'm really sorry I've upset you so much, you only had to send me a private message, and I'd have dealt with it, your reaction seems quite extreme, these things happen, essentially trying to humiliate me for an honest mistake. Seems a bit out of order to me, and counter productive to the community. 

You can clearly see from my signature that my blog and other pages are Classic Replay.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:34, 09 March 16

I'm really sorry I've upset you so much, you only had to send me a private message, and I'd have dealt with it, your reaction seems quite extreme, these things happen, essentially trying to humiliate me for an honest mistake. Seems a bit out of order to me, and counter productive to the community. 

You can clearly see from my signature that my blog and other pages are Classic Replay.

I generally skip past sigs and hadn't made the connection.

I'm not trying to humiliate you (as I said I hadn't made the connection). But there are so many alarm bells around this piece that it looks exactly like clickbait.

The entire text is full of stuff that would alert anyone with a knowledge of 8 bits to things that were problematic. Setting colours by jumpers on the back. The advert render of the device not being something easily drawn in 1984. The wrong Amstrad logo. Launching the product on New Years Day (thereby missing Xmas peak sales and also a bank holiday), the fact it was to be released before the 464 when the launch of the 464 is extremely well documented. Repeated black and transparent colours in the palette? Custom VDP in an era when this didn't generally happen and certainly Amstrad wouldn't do it.

It's head in hands stuff. If it's labelled as "this is a mock up" or a joke I could laugh at it. But I've seen it passed around today as news and makes me despair. CPC owners really have to take the brunt of being laughed at and frankly the prospect of this mess being touted around for the next umpteen years as real fills me with dread. And if you don't believe that can happen, remember what happened to that mocked up Speccy joypad from 10+ years ago (although to be fair the Vega isn't that far off it!).

It is easily fixed though. Label it as a "mock" or whatever at the top. Sticking stuff at the bottom means it gets missed.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ukmarkh

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 16:46, 09 March 16

I generally skip past sigs and hadn't made the connection.

I'm not trying to humiliate you. But there are so many alarm bells around this piece that it looks exactly like clickbait.

The entire text is full of stuff that would alert anyone with a knowledge of 8 bits to things that were problematic. Setting colours by jumpers on the back. The advert render of the device not being something easily drawn in 1984. The wrong Amstrad logo. Launching the product on New Years Day (thereby missing Xmas peak sales and also a bank holiday), the fact it was to be released before the 464 when the launch of the 464 is extremely well documented. Repeated black and transparent colours in the palette? Custom VDP in an era when this didn't generally happen and certainly Amstrad wouldn't do it.

It's head in hands stuff. If it's labelled as "this is a mock up" or a joke I could laugh at it. But I've seen it passed around today as news and makes me despair. CPC owners really have to take the brunt of being laughed at and frankly the prospect of this mess being touted around for the next umpteen years as real fills me with dread. And if you don't believe that can happen, remember what happened to that mocked up Speccy joypad from 10+ years ago (although to be fair the Vega isn't that far off it!).

It is easily fixed though. Label it as a "mock" or whatever at the top. Sticking stuff at the bottom means it gets missed.

Listen mate I've admitted my mistake, apologised and removed it from Twitter and am in the process of removing it from anywhere else it was posted. You're clearly very dedicated to the community, which is great, but please don't carry on berating me for an honest mistake.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:55, 09 March 16

Listen mate I've admitted my mistake, apologised and removed it from Twitter and am in the process of removing it from anywhere else it was posted. You're clearly very dedicated to the community, which is great, but please don't carry on berating me for an honest mistake.

I'm not berating you. I'm just pointing out the problems. Thing is if you'd stuck this up on April the 1st I would have laughed my socks off at it.

You've got a great website there (one I hadn't looked at until a few hours ago) with good content and a very nice layout. It's really good and I'm certainly going to spend more time reading it.

No need to delete the article. Just amend it. "Someone has done a mock-up of a console they think Amstrad might have produced in 1984 etc etc". Then everyone can have a good laugh which I suspect was what the original creators intention would have been (since the entire thing is basically unworkable it's clearly a pie in the sky piece of concept art).
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

If it was passed on as news then... yeah, I can see the (big) problem. If not, it shouldn't have been deleted but merely amended, surely?

Neil79

ukmarkh, you need a tougher skin than this buddy if you're going to do retro news  :)

Believe me, it's been over 4 years and I still come across the odd issue, but my response is usually not the expected one  :D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

ukmarkh

I don't understand what you mean? This is a hobby for me, a bit of fun on the side... I like retro gaming [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 00:31, 10 March 16
I don't understand what you mean? This is a hobby for me, a bit of fun on the side... I like retro gaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what he's trying to tell you is try not take things too much to heart. Because you won't be able to please everyone all the time. You'll always get someone yelling "old news" or "fake, already reported" on a regular basis. Running news sites of any kind is more often than not, a thankless job, so be prepared for it.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

seanb

I missed the article and would like to see it.
Shame you took it down.

I like a good mock up. Some of the DreamCast 2 mock ups are incredible.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: seanb on 10:34, 10 March 16
I missed the article and would like to see it.
Shame you took it down.

I like a good mock up. Some of the DreamCast 2 mock ups are incredible.

The original is below clearly in context as part of a series of mocks. The creator told me "I made the mockup screenshot for a weekly pixel art activity, and a console as a joke extra.... it was a quick Photoshopoop, not intended to be realistic in anything by my mirrorverse."

Misc pixel art

The problem comes when that gets lifted wholesale, placed on another site with the tiniest disclaimer at the bottom asking if it was real. The disclaimer saying it was a fake came later and was still at the very bottom.

When you lift content like that from another site (without permission) you know the context of it being a mock-up. So when you place it on your own site and say things like "is it real" you are making it deliberately ambiguous in order to attract clicks. After all you know where it came from and you know its not real. And it worked because it was quickly being passed around on social media.

If you are going to present stuff like this the meaning must not be twisted. You simply present it as "look at this cool mock-up" not trying to make it look as if it was real. And it's generally good form to ask permission first as well rather than lift other peoples content.

But it's done and dusted now and hopefully a lesson learned.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

seanb

Thanks @chinnyhill10
I like the mock up. Don't know if I'd have bought one if it was real but nice idea.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!