News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 464 tape deck problem

Started by morcar, 12:34, 01 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

morcar

My tape deck was working but it was failing to load some games. I thought it was the belt as its never been changed so i went ahead and changed the belt.

When fitting the belt i made sure that all the wheels had the belt on them and i even moved it a little just to check every thing was ok.

Upon trying to load though when I press play nothing happens but fast forward and rewind works without any problems.

Any solutions on this plz.

thanks

morcar

Bryce

There's a switch on the PCB that gets actuated by the Play button, if this isn't properly aligned with the tag on the play button rod, then it won't work. You probably misaligned it when you loosen the PCB to swap the belt.

Bryce.

morcar

Thanks for the info although I found out today that the CPC tape deck are like the C64's.

You have to tell it to load and then press a key for it to turn on the play function...doh ..... i feel like a noob lol

Bryce

Oh, I kind of assumed you'd have known that :)

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: morcar on 21:45, 01 May 15
Thanks for the info although I found out today that the CPC tape deck are like the C64's.

Always thought it was the CPC's tape and the c64's drive!?! Even it the CPC tape is more quick of course.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Paul Reed

Hi,
I have the same problem although know how to play the games. How can I realign the tape deck please?

Paul

Bryce

Well wash your hands first, it looks like you've just finished baking a cake :)

Now to the deck. Are you sure it mis-aligned? Have you tried cleaning the tape head? Is the tape turning at a uniform speed? Can you hear any loading sounds?

Bryce.

Paul Reed

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for reply, hands washed :)
The tape deck, fastforwards, rewinds but does not play at all. So I changed the drive belt last week and still the same...

Paul

Audronic

@Paul Reed

Have you tried this :-

Type in:
Load"" [ENTER]
The computer asks you to., . .
Press PLAY then any key:
Now press the [PLAY] key in the row at the front of the Datacorder until it locks down firmly, followed by pressing any letter, number, or either [ENTER] key - or the space bar.
The tape will start to move, and after a short time you will see this message appear on the screen:
Loading <program name> block 1

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

As Audronic says above :)

Bryce.

Paul Reed

Hi Guys,

Will try when home. Thanks again for reply, very much appreciated.

Reedy

Paul Reed

Hey Guys,
It's definitely something wrong with the mechanism.
It just doesn't play. The button clunks down but doesn't turn.
The Amstrad itself is in mint condition.

Regards

Reedy

Bryce

I assume you get the "Press Play then any key" message on the screen and then press any key? Do you hear a relay clicking inside the CPC when you've pressed some key?

Bryce.

Paul Reed

Hi,

Yes completed play process many times to make sure.
No, no noise from CPC when press the any key after play.

Reedy

Bryce

Hmm, that's not good. Could be a dodgy relay. How much electronics knowledge do you have and do you own a multimeter?

Bryce.

Paul Reed

Hi,
I am really disappointed. Had a CPC in my youth. Waited and bought what I thought was a mint one. Turned up and didn't play, took it up with EBay and got a little money back but no return.
I don't have any electrical knowledge tbh. Happy to give something a crack though.

Reedy

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

If you can't find someone local to fix it, you can send it over to me if you like and I'll fix it up (just the PCB and tapedeck contents to keep the postage to a minimum).

I'm in Germany.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Paul Reed on 11:28, 11 March 16
Hi,

Yes completed play process many times to make sure.
No, no noise from CPC when press the any key after play.

Reedy
So either the relay is dead (or need a contact clean up) or it's driving transistor.
Do you have a multimeter to check some voltage ?

Paul Reed

Hi Guys,

I am in Uk. London for work.
Will defo need to find someone to fix it.

Reedy

Bryce

I can send you the contact details of a few UK based retro electronics guys. Let me know.

Bryce.

Paul Reed