News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc464 problem with tape drive

Started by Sonic, 22:11, 16 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Quote from: steve on 23:16, 17 March 11
If there was any useful information in last dozen or so posts, could we have an english translation please.

Er... yes. Keep it in english please, guys...

Bryce

If only there were a German section in the Forum to discuss these issues :D

Bryce.

Sonic

I have now changed the tape drive belt with a rubber band which is more close-fitting then the old belt. However, still only the little rubber wheel of the tape drive is driven, but not the wheel inside the cassette.
Strange: If I use fast forward and rewind, then the wheel inside the cassette is also driven...
Now any new ideas what might be the reason for this problem?

Devilmarkus

Hmmmmm dust??
Rust?
Really hard to say without the chance to see the drive...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Sonic

I will see if I can do some pictures tomorow... but as far as I can see there is no rust, at least not at the visible places...

Devilmarkus

I am not sure if pictures will help here.
I meant the "seeing" more like "sitting in front of this CPC, and fiddling inside it's hardware..."
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Sonic

Oh ok. So tomorow I will try to see if I can find anything which indicates the reason for this problem. Otherwise I will send you the 465 and hopefully you will find a solution...

Gryzor

Man, if you got a 465 I'm buying it off you, no questions asked :D

Sonic

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:41, 19 March 11
Man, if you got a 465 I'm buying it off you, no questions asked :D

Oh I mean 464, of course. It was late last night :D

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:33, 19 March 11
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-464-series-New-Replacement-Cassette-Mechanism-/160561173951?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item25623115bf#ht_500wt_1156

I'm tempted...

Yes, but it seems like they only send it to somewhere in the UK, but I live in Germany :(

steve

Wire the cassette interface to an external socket so you can use a tape recorder or MP3 player, and get a DDI-1 disk system, or a 6128.

Sonic

Quote from: steve on 04:44, 20 March 11
Wire the cassette interface to an external socket so you can use a tape recorder or MP3 player, and get a DDI-1 disk system, or a 6128.
I don't know how I could wire it to an external socket...
I already bought a DDI-1, it just didn't arrive yet. :D

@Devilmarkus: I didn't find anything, so I guess I will have to send it to you.

Bryce

Hi Sonic,
        I haven't taken a CPC Tape drive apart since the early 90's, but as far as I can remember, there's a small plastic arm with a cog (Zahnrad) at the end. This needs to freely move back and forth to engage the correct spool. You should be able to see it when you look at the dis-assembled drive from the top (ie: where the tape usually sits). If this arm can't move freely, it won't make contact with the cog on the spool. You might have to apply some oil / grease here to solve your problem.

Bryce.

Sonic

Quote from: Bryce on 13:01, 21 March 11
[...]
If this arm can't move freely, it won't make contact with the cog on the spool. You might have to apply some oil / grease here to solve your problem.

Hi, thanks for the hint. I will see if that's the problem as soon as I have time for it, maybe later this evening or tomorow...