News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

Oh, I'm intersted too in a CP/M Driver. So count at least 3 persons.

M4 Card and XMASS with a CF-Card / DOM don't work together somehow. I also had trouble and it ends in freezing the computer even if I use routines which send datas directly via OUT to the port (embedded as a RSX from Basic). (But this could also mean that my programming knowlede is not very skilled :))
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

SOS

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 07:51, 21 November 17
M4 Card and XMASS with a CF-Card / DOM don't work together somehow. I also had trouble and it ends in freezing the computer even if I use routines which send datas directly via OUT to the port (embedded as a RSX from Basic). (But this could also mean that my programming knowlede is not very skilled :) )
With DOM+CF, my Schneider can boot (only when I remove the XMEM  ??? ).
ACMEDOS doesnt work with the CF and connected M4-Card. When I remove the M4, ACMEDOS works with the CF-Card.
Interesting, when i connected the CF-Card and the M4-Card, and when i load the first LBA-Sector:
Original: "X-MASS   FAT16"
Actual: "-AS  FT6"   :o
With Code-Change No.4283, and try 863 i see: "XMS A1" (not really an advance)
No, switching to 8Bit-Mode changes nothing.
All goes ok, when i remove the M4-Card or change the CF-Card to a DOM-Module.
(I think it's not a Power-Problem? I'm Using for my CPC6128 + M4+XMASS+CF-Card+HXC one 90Watt, 2A on 5V Power-Supply "Phobya")

Btw. Symbos seems to be have troubles too :P
(Disc error (Code 05), Unsupported Media or Partition)

(Meanwhile TotO gave me the tip, how M4+XMEM worked together: Switch the ROM-Start to 32 on the M4, the "Enabled"-Switch is not enough)

GUNHED

There is also the option to use CPR's with the M4 (all ROMs disabled, so can have CPR's have 512 KB) while the X-MEM has its ROMs active. Honestly, this setup remains to be tested (I will do so soon).
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: SOS on 09:48, 21 November 17Original: "X-MASS   FAT16"
Actual: "-AS  FT6"   :o
With Code-Change No.4283, and try 863 i see: "XMS A1" (not really an advance)

Look the X-MASS not properly initialised during the boot to switch from 16bit to 8bit mode.
So, the issue is reading one byte each two bytes. (what you wrote)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SOS

Quote from: TotO on 17:14, 21 November 17

Look the X-MASS not properly initialised during the boot to switch from 16bit to 8bit mode.
So, the issue is reading one byte each two bytes. (what you wrote)
Yes, it's my assumption too, but the previous "switch to 8Bit" from arnoldemu, which works on the "ACMDOS-Format"-Problem didn't work in this case  :(
I will post my cleaned-code at the weekend (next days i have no time).

arnoldemu

Quote from: SOS on 19:26, 21 November 17
Yes, it's my assumption too, but the previous "switch to 8Bit" from arnoldemu, which works on the "ACMDOS-Format"-Problem didn't work in this case  :(
I will post my cleaned-code at the weekend (next days i have no time).

I just want to clear up the confusion in my mind:

1. X-MASS with CF card replacing DOM. This boots ok and ACMEDOS works fine?
2. M4 + X-MASS with CF card replacing DOM. This has the missing bytes you describe?

When using configuration 2, you tried the code to enable 8-bit mode and the result changed but bytes were still missing?

It is hard to diagnose the problem without having the same hardware. I have a M4 and X-MASS but no CF. Which CF and adaptor cable are you using?

It is possible that you need these things:
1. configure 8-bit mode
2. configure PIO mode
3. prevent this changed when power on/off
4. turn off power management in CF.

If I can get the same CF then I can diagnose and find a fix for you.

I will check that I really did give you the code for 8-bit mode enable. It needs "1" in the features register.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

The full set is (untested, hopefully I got it right):

;; enable 8-bit mode
ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,1
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable cache
ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&82
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; set pio

ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld a,0            ;; may need to be 1
ld bc,&fd0a
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&3
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable power on reset of defaults at soft reset

ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&66
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable advanced power management

ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&85
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable extended power operations

ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&89
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable power level 1 commands

ld a,&40 ;; lba
ld bc,&fd0e
out (c),a

ld bc,&fd09
ld a,&8a
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

SOS

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:19, 22 November 17
1. X-MASS with CF card replacing DOM. This boots ok and ACMEDOS works fine?
2. M4 + X-MASS with CF card replacing DOM. This has the missing bytes you describe?

Meanwhile  i received a lot of CF-Cards and tested again (M4+XMASS):
Not booting (CPC has a black screen):
- Sandisk 256MB
- Sandisk 1 GB
- SD XC - SD2CF Adapter
Boots, but not able to switch on 8 Bit
- Toshiba 512MB
- Transcent 512MB
Works! (without separate "Switch to 8-Bit-Mode")
- Cheap China 4GB
- Hama 256MB
- Hama 2GB
(So i can continue my work with the China/Hama-Cards)

Separate Test with the Transcent:
XMEM+XMASS:    ACMEDOS works!
M4+XMASS:        ACMEDOS + Symbos didn't work

(what really confuses me  :-\ )

Your "Switching to 8Bit-Mode" generally works, i've reproduce a szenario in the "XMASS"-Thread (how it looks with and without your code).
I can't get the Toshiba & Transcent up and running with your additional codes (PIO, Power Management, ...).

I'm using this adapter:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/CF-weiblich-2-5-Zoll-IDE-44-Pin-Adapter-Konverter/182343730408?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Hmmm, off-topic: Can you detect the Symbiface vs. XMASS? (I think it's better to init the 8Bit-Mode on XMASS in the boot-process)

sachapr

Hi Duke,

Sorry if I am asking something that has been already discussed but I have been trying to fibd it and I did not. Is it possible some how to write a DSK directly to a disc? As an exact copy sector by sector, the same way DSK-CPC utility did it between a 3,5" drive and a 3" drive.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

rpalmer

sachpar,

I take it you mean all on the CPC to copy the image to a 3inch drive.?

if not then there is special software (CPCDiskXP, get it here http://www.cpcmania.com/cpcdiskxp/cpcdiskxp.htm) on a PC to copy a .DSK to a 3.5 inch disk and by using an external 3.5 drive on the CPC you can copy this to a 3inch disk with software sush as Discology.

rpalmer

sachapr

Yes, right, I mean in the cpc with M4 board. Take a dsk and dump it to a 3" disk as it is sector by sector.
Thanks!!

Best regards,

Duke

Quote from: sachapr on 16:22, 03 December 17
Yes, right, I mean in the cpc with M4 board. Take a dsk and dump it to a 3" disk as it is sector by sector.
Thanks!!

There's this little program made by @HAL 6128 http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/amstrad-cpc-wifi/msg141353/#msg141353

It will only work for non-copy-protected discs, but should do fine for writing sector to sector from a dsk image.
I meant to do a utility for this, but (free) time is not on my side currently.

sachapr

Thank you, Duke.

I have tried to compile the code for sector.bin with Orgams (roms installed) on M4 board but no success, i have error messages with RET instruction and if I remove RET instructions and try to compile with CTRL+2 the CPC resets... I am not an expert as you have realised...😜
Lets see if HAL 6128 is so kind to send me his litle utility already compiled...

Other capability that will be very nice to have, although not sure if it will be dificult to implement is the possibility of wifi printing from the CPC, just an idea...

Thank you very much for your work and support.

Best regards,

Patrick

sachapr,
May be you can try this tool. It needs SymbOS but it seems pretty easy to run it with M4, either in ROM or file version. Trying SymbOS is on my todo list.

sachapr

Thank you, Patrick. I did not know about that tool.
I will try but I am not sure if SymbOS is going to work very well with only 128 kb...I will tell you how it goes.

Best regards,

adolfo.pa

I have tried to compile the code for sector.bin with Orgams (roms installed) on M4 board but no success, i have error messages with RET instruction and if I remove RET instructions and try to compile with CTRL+2 the CPC resets... I am not an expert as you have realised...

Orgams is a bit picky with surrounding whitespace when parsing your code; sometimes it will get confused and think an instruction is a label. In my (extremelly short) experience, adding a space after the RET should fix it.

Gryzor

Whoa this thread has gone huge... and with so many views!

robcfg

Well, the M4 is a great card and Duke is a great guy, so it was obvious they'd have a great thread  8)

Congratulations Duke!

Did you ever imagine that the M4 would be so successful?

00WReX

Quote from: Duke on 20:50, 14 November 17
Because of the two new very cool CPC plus demos from roudoudou & overflow, I had to make a small firmware update to support 512KB CPR's.

Both demos now run with M4 firmware v2.0.4 beta 8: Download from http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b8.zip

Hi Duke, after playing around with some other things (and forgetting about Beta 8  :doh: ), tonight I grabbed out the 6128 Plus and gave it a go.

First up, I really like that you included the Beta version in the boot message.  :)

Then I tried the 2 new 512k .cpr demos (after ticking the box on the browser interface to only allow 16 ROM slots).
The 'CRTC3' demo played beautifully, but the 'eerie forest' demo crashed to a blank screen after the character begins running.
I tried it a few times and re-uploaded the .cpr but the same result.
I also tried the same .cpr on the C4CPC on a GX4000 and it ran fine.

Because it's been a while, I ran through a quick load of most of the 'Plus' games and they all ran fine.

Cheers,
Shane

CRTC3 is nice...  ;)

[attachimg=1]
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Duke

@robcfg : Thanks. No, I did not :)  And I am fairly tired of building them too :doh: oh well.

@00WReX : Thanks for the feedback. I just had someone else report the opposite (CRTC3 failed and Eerie forest works fine).
Both ran fine for me on my 6128+ and Eerie forest ran fine on my CPC464+ too (CRTC3 refuses to work with XMEM on 464+, because of some missing mem mode, it claims).
I use the burning rubber/basic cartridge, I've not had time to look into the issue with M4 and C4CPC yet, so this is unchanged as to earlier betas.
Anyway, I will revisit it when I get some time on my hands, probably do a verification of the written data, maybe it sometimes fails to erase &/ program properly.

00WReX

Hi Duke,

I was using the standard 'Burnin Rubbber/Basic cart for my tests, not the C4CPC.
No other expansions and no ROMs at all installed on the M4.
I also just tried it on my 464+ and the same result.

I also tried both methods of running the cartridge, firstly via the browser interface,
and then uploading the demo to the SD and using the CLI commands '|ctrup' and '|ctr'.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

francouai

OMG!! 188 pages here.. I cannot read all.  :doh:

The 'CRTC3' demo crash for me too.
just during the jumping scrolling letters.
I tried to CTRUP one more time and same crash on the same part.

I know it is BETA FW, so give more time to DUKE to fix few bugs.

I'm so happy with my M4. The must have card. :blank:
--
francois

zhulien

Hi, I am experimenting with calling a server rapidly to see if it is viable to cater for multiplayer arcade gaming on the CPC.  At the moment though my server seems to service lots of clients consistently, but only really at about 5 calls per second each client.  For some games this is likely ok, but then I'm wondering... with a CPC's general lower framerate than PCs... a PC that might have 20 calls per second to service a game, would 5 be ok on a CPC?  I am not even certain I can consistently get 5 calls per second from the CPC, but I think it should be possible.  For now i have a very rudimentary synchronous loop that counts missed call opportunities. I have also created a JS POC of the same which gives terrible results on firefox, but good results on chrome.  I am using an OK ISP (not top of the range, but not budget either).  Localhosted WAMP I can consistently get 10 calls per second serviced. but then my actual server starts to degrade beyond that (additional calls with multiple clients at the same time).

(I wasn't sure if this should be posted here, or a separate thread in programming since I am using the M4 from the CPC).

Julian

number-one

Hello I want a remote shell access on my CPC 6128 old to my linux computer by telnet.

Here my problem with symtel (symbos telnet client)

Duke, do your telnet client below can make this ? I am very interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_E7iINGBFE

Duke

@number-one
You can give it a try, you will need to assemble it (use maxam or winape):
https://github.com/M4Duke/M4examples/blob/master/tcp.s

You will have to manually set the port number in line 475 to match with your server.

It's more a proof of concept, but maybe you can improve it a bit, if it works for you.