News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

George Schizas

Quote from: Duke on 21:33, 28 January 18
Imo. it all points to bad contacts on your edge connector of the CPC.

That's my opinion as well.

So first advice is to clean the expansion port, ie. using an eraser and IPA. In all likelyhood it will work fine after that.

What's IPA?

That sounds bad, could you take a picture so we can see what it looks like ?

Since my photos are about 16 MB, I've uploaded them to imgur, here:
https://imgur.com/a/fZ9Xz.

Here they are individually (I'm not using the img tag because this breaks the forum's formatting):

robcfg

That's an uncommon motherboard revision, and at least the one we have pictured here has a 40007 gate array.

The bubbling seems normal, though You may want to resolder the rusty connector and clean the connectors.

Bryce

That expansion connector needs some serious cleaning. IPA is Isopropanol and it's what you need to clean it.

Bryce.

George Schizas

Quote from: robcfg on 10:45, 29 January 18
You may want to resolder the rusty connector and clean the connectors.

I've never used a soldering iron in my life. I'm aiming to though - but I don't want to start with my 30 year old 6128  :)

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 10:55, 29 January 18
IPA is Isopropanol and it's what you need to clean it.

Nonono. everyone knows it's Indian Pale Ale. It helps you forget about your CPC not working properly

Bryce

Quote from: Munchausen on 12:55, 29 January 18

Nonono. everyone knows it's Indian Pale Ale. It helps you forget about your CPC not working properly

Well they're both alchohol, neither taste very good and both will probably give you stomach cramps, so you're not too far off.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 13:01, 29 January 18
Well they're both alchohol, neither taste very good and both will probably give you stomach cramps, so you're not too far off.

Bryce.

There are people in Ireland who would hang you for saying that. But I agree with you. This wanky, over-priced craft beer culture really must die.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

The same idiots who wouldn't know a good pint of Guinness if they were handed one for free I assume?

Craft beers are for people who believe they are being different while sporting the same shite beard as half the country with an iPhone in the pocket of their fake tweed suit.

Bryce.

Vyper68

Quote from: Munchausen on 12:55, 29 January 18

Newcastle Brown Ale is the right job for Amnesia - NBA or DOG is what you need.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 14:26, 29 January 18
The same idiots who wouldn't know a good pint of Guinness if they were handed one for free I assume?

Craft beers are for people who believe they are being different while sporting the same shite beard as half the country with an iPhone in the pocket of their fake tweed suit.

Bryce.

If I wasn't sure before, I am now. But we're gonna get along juuuuuust fine come March. Even if I am an iPhone user, I'll never wear tweed, faux or real!
I like Guinness, but it doesn't like me. It turns me into an insufferable asshole. (Not a peep out of any of you lot!)  :P
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

So without the Guinness you're just a normal arsehole?

Bryce.

I think we should stop derailing this thread now  ::)

Gryzor

... But I do like thev aforementioned Newcastle!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Munchausen

IPA (beer) has nothing to do with craft beer... and has been popular for a long time before that fad started. From wikipedia "India Pale Ale, or IPA, has been used in the United Kingdom to describe a well-hopped, high-gravity beer since 1835"

From my (admittedly limited) experience craft beer seems to mean beer that doesn't taste how you really expect/want beer to taste.

+1 for newky brown!

Gryzor

I think that you've got to mix craft beer with pipe tobacco and food leftovers from your beard, tho.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:08, 30 January 18
I think that you've got to mix craft beer with pipe tobacco and food leftovers from your beard, tho.

You forgot the inflated opinion of yourself, needed to really enjoy it.

However, on a positive note, I do like the fact that they've come up with name for this. It's much easier and shorter now to say "Hipster", we used to have to say "That tosser with the beard".

Bryce.

Vyper68

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:08, 30 January 18

[ot]Anyone remember the guys from CAMRA? they were all Beards & Pipes and Wooly jumpers - apologies if anyone is a member  ;D [/ot]

Gryzor

Should I separate this part of the thread into a new one, with extremely limited access and different fonts and colours to give it a hipster allure (and also keep the rest of the thread intact)?

Munchausen

Can it have a typewriter in there somewhere too? On a bus if possible

Bryce

Quote from: Munchausen on 21:52, 30 January 18
Can it have a typewriter in there somewhere too? On a bus if possible

That's beyond hipster and the coolest picture I've seen this year.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:19, 29 January 18

There are people in Ireland who would hang you for saying that. But I agree with you. This wanky, over-priced craft beer culture really must die.
Should i prepare the gallows??

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:06, 29 January 18
So without the Guinness you're just a normal arsehole?

Bryce.

I think we should stop derailing this thread now  ::)

Oh absolutely. But I never denied this. It's other people who seem surprised by this startling realisation!  :laugh:

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

Let's just get back on track.

Vyper68

OK back on track and no booze in sight  :(

Does the Board have a MAC address so i can set up an static IP on my Router?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vyper68 on 11:19, 01 February 18
OK back on track and no booze in sight  :(

Does the Board have a MAC address so i can set up an static IP on my Router?

Yep. Any board with a wifi (or bluetooth) adapter needs to have a MAC address.