News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

There is CPC-DSK, nice small tool which writes a DSK from a 3.5" disc (B) to a disc in 3" (A).  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Duke

Quote from: GUNHED on 20:36, 18 February 18
There is CPC-DSK, nice small tool which writes a DSK from a 3.5" disc (B) to a disc in 3" (A).  :)

If he has a drive B, that could be a solution too, to get an image from SD card to real disk.

upload parados rom, format drive B
|FCP,"image.dsk", "B:"

and launch CPC-DSK and write it to drive A

(not tried it).

Vyper68

Quote from: Duke on 22:13, 18 February 18
If he has a drive B, that could be a solution too, to get an image from SD card to real disk.

upload parados rom, format drive B
|FCP,"image.dsk", "B:"

and launch CPC-DSK and write it to drive A

(not tried it).

Can you have Parados working the same time as the M4 - It normally replaces AMSDOS in Socket 7.
I have a 6128 and M4 is in Socket 6

I have a Gotek Drive but it is not playing nice i can change from A to B and Cat B but i cannot load from B. If i set the Gotek to Drive A it works fine. So i still need them to play nice. The 3.5 Drive i bought off eBay will not play so i don't know if it's duff or not.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Duke

Quote from: Vyper68 on 07:52, 19 February 18
Can you have Parados working the same time as the M4 - It normally replaces AMSDOS in Socket 7.
I have a 6128 and M4 is in Socket 6

You can set M4 rom to 5 and upload parados to slot 6. That should work.

rpalmer

you have to note that many games only assumed a Drive A, so when they start they always access only drive A to get the rest of the game loaded. What this means is that the loader of the games can be from any drive but the subsequent parts may be hard wired machine code to load only from drive A (and this is most often seen to access strange sector formats which are difficult to copy from A to B).

Vyper68, Did you modify the drive so that the CPC can see it? And lets not forget the READY line too, it may need patching. Also do you have an old PC which you can test the floppy in to see if it works before any mods are/were done?

rpalmer

Vyper68

Quote from: rpalmer on 11:14, 19 February 18
you have to note that many games only assumed a Drive A, so when they start they always access only drive A to get the rest of the game loaded. What this means is that the loader of the games can be from any drive but the subsequent parts may be hard wired machine code to load only from drive A (and this is most often seen to access strange sector formats which are difficult to copy from A to B).

Vyper68, Did you modify the drive so that the CPC can see it? And lets not forget the READY line too, it may need patching. Also do you have an old PC which you can test the floppy in to see if it works before any mods are/were done?

rpalmer

No i didn't modify the drive. I bought a cable off eBay which had an A/B Switch and Side A/B switch there is also a wire jumper fitted - I cannot test the floppy on a PC i don't have one with a Floppy connector anymore.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

GUNHED

Sorry, I forgot to mention IIRC that CPC-DSK needs a MS-DOS 720 KB disc in drive B. It does not need any other DOS ROM, it can read the MS-DOS 720 KB format by itself.

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Targhan

A little request (sorry if it has already been mentioned in one of the 199 pages of this thread!). The V3 snapshots (+compressed) don't seem managed by the M4Board. Do you think this is something you intend to implement? This would be nice, as RASM produces compressed V3 Snapshots.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

VincentGR

As I mentioned in previous posts I have one of these boards.
I've installed the M4 version of Symbos and there are no programs in the task bar.
I have no experience with this and I think the lack of extra RAM has something to do.

Can't really read all the posts again so I have to ask if there is a compatible RAM expansion and the adapter for it.

Duke

Quote from: Targhan on 14:04, 24 February 18
A little request (sorry if it has already been mentioned in one of the 199 pages of this thread!). The V3 snapshots (+compressed) don't seem managed by the M4Board. Do you think this is something you intend to implement? This would be nice, as RASM produces compressed V3 Snapshots.
I will give it a go sometime.
Anyone is welcome to add it though as I may not find time for soon.
M4 rom source can be found here: https://github.com/M4Duke/m4rom

Quote from: VincentGR on 17:08, 24 February 18
As I mentioned in previous posts I have one of these boards.
I've installed the M4 version of Symbos and there are no programs in the task bar.
I have no experience with this and I think the lack of extra RAM has something to do.

Yes, there is many things you can't do with SymbOS without a memory expansion.
I have only the X-MEM from TotO and it works fine with M4 and SymbOS, provided you disable its ROM board.

Duke

Release of M4 Board v2.0.4 beta #9 firmware.
Download http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b9.zip
Unpack M4FIRM.BIN & ESPFIRM.BIN to SD card root and power cycle the CPC to update.

Changes:

• Set DHCP hostname to netbios name.
  • Fix crash when using run" without filename multiple times.
  • Improve timings of ROMDIS.
  • Only test IO bit 13 for rom selection (as CPC seems to do), was 0xDF
  • Fix Reset (clear rom state)
  • Change remote Reset, M4 reset & pause to acknowledge (IPC) commands or they could sometimes be ignored.
  • Added check for GD25Q32C (clone?) spi flash in ESP8266, which does not work with quad spi mode, instead set DOUT mode @80MHz.
  • Updated ESP side SDK base to latest (v2.2.0), with whatever fixes that comes with it (ie. WPA/WPA2 vulnerability issue).
  • Fix Remote .sna for long filenames.
  • Fix for loaders using BE7D to restore drive letter (not checking if it is 00 00).
  • Change Amsdos workram 0-2 (ie. A700-A702) to 0 when using |SD and restore when using |DISC (only if AMSDOS or PARADOS present).
And many under the hood changes.

Please provide feedback, if it works well (or no disasters) it will be v2.0.4.

XeNoMoRPH

Very nice Duke !!! another version in the air  :P :P
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

kapi21

Thanks Duke!

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

arrakis

Hi,

Most of the games I tried to run from the M4 are switching back to real drive A and of course I get Disc Missing errors.
Is it possible to force the M4 to be the drive A? (As I could do on a gotek with a jumper)

best regards,
arrakis

Duke

Quote from: arrakis on 22:22, 08 March 18
Most of the games I tried to run from the M4 are switching back to real drive A and of course I get Disc Missing errors.
Is it possible to force the M4 to be the drive A? (As I could do on a gotek with a jumper)

Yes just use the modified lowerrom from here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/M4_Board

(look under Various files)

Upload it to slot 31 of the M4 romboard and enable lowerrom.
That should fix it.

blackdalek

Would this modified lower rom fix games such as those with old xor crack loaders which try to load from the physical drive A instead of the SD card?
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Duke

Quote from: blackdalek on 12:17, 09 March 18
Would this modified lower rom fix games such as those with old xor crack loaders which try to load from the physical drive A instead of the SD card?
Yes.

Maniac

Great to see continued support for the M4 Board. Unfortunately I'm having issues with v2.0.4b9 and my 6128 Plus. Everything worked just fine with v2.0.4b8 and if I revert to v2.0.3. At system start-up all displays as expected and all ROMs appear to load. ¦M4ROMOFF also works as expected.

If I use my C4CPC with the M4, after updating, when typing CAT the machine either resets or the directory contents are corrupted. If I switch to the standard Burnin' Rubber cart all is fine. My cart image in the C4CPC includes Parados 1.2+ but the M4 ROM is in slot 7 so is overridden anyway.

Separate to the above after updating the M4 doesn't seem to be able to connect to my wifi either which again works just fine with v2.0.4b8 and v2.0.3. This is the same regardless of the cart in the machine.

Wiping the config in the m4 folder of the SD card and returning to defaults seems to fix the issue with CAT which then puts the m4 ROM in slot 6. However the wifi connection remains broken even when setting up from scratch. It starts to try to connect but fails. Running ¦netstat during initial setup it says 'Connecting' but then says 'No AP found'. All other wifi kit works as expected and returning to previous M4 ROM versions restores connectivity.

Is anyone else having these issues with a similar configuration?

Duke

@Maniac Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear it's not working very good for you :/
What is your WiFi setup (dhcp/manual & encryption) ?

Hope others will post if it works fine or not for them.

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 15:52, 11 March 18
@Maniac Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear it's not working very good for you :/
What is your WiFi setup (dhcp/manual & encryption) ?

Hope others will post if it works fine or not for them.
I'm using DHCP but this has always worked without issue in the past. In terms of Wifi setup it's configured to use [font=]WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode) with TKIP+AES enabled for best compatibility.[/font]

Duke

Quote from: Maniac on 16:00, 11 March 18
I'm using DHCP but this has always worked without issue in the past. In terms of Wifi setup it's configured to use [font=]WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode) with TKIP+AES enabled for best compatibility.[/font]
Thanks. Asked so I could try the similar settings here with v2.0.4b9. Seems to work fine for me :/

Duke

@Maniac can you please try this build: http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b9_2.zip  to see if it fixes your WiFi.
Seems there was a bug in the ESP SDK release that was later fixed (fix(wifi): Fix station connect issue when upgrade sdk from old version), applied the patch now.

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 16:58, 11 March 18
@Maniac can you please try this build: http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b9_2.zip  to see if it fixes your WiFi.
Seems there was a bug in the ESP SDK release that was later fixed (fix(wifi): Fix station connect issue when upgrade sdk from old version), applied the patch now.
I'm afraid it still doesn't work after this update. I'll have a play around with my wifi set-up once everyone else has gone to bed to avoid upsetting the family!

Maniac

Quote from: Maniac on 18:59, 11 March 18
I'm afraid it still doesn't work after this update. I'll have a play around with my wifi set-up once everyone else has gone to bed to avoid upsetting the family!
Ok had the opportunity earlier than expected and now switched my router to WPA2 AES exclusively and it's exactly the same I'm afraid. One thing of note is that since the update the WiFi LED comes on when I power up the M4 but goes off almost straight away. It's seems like the initialisation is stalling/crashing since beta 9.

00WReX

Just reporting back that v2.0.4b9 is working fine for me with everything I have tried.
Wi-Fi is fine, I have uploaded a couple of ROM's and reset the CPC etc.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki