News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

It wont, if M4 rom is mapped before amsdos/parados it will catch all the file I/O. It currently will not work with other drives.
If you map it after amsdos/parados, cas_* hooks will not be active and file I/O will go to disc.

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:33, 09 June 16
One question.. If the m4 ROM is moved to slot 6 with amsdos (or parados in 7) are the floppies and the sdcard accessible, and if so which drive letter does the SD card use? |S maybe or |M for SD or Mass Storage accordingly? If this works then this will be perfect.

Maniac

Mine just arrived yesterday and I need some time to play properly but I have a few questions.

If I connect the M4 board directly to my 6128 plus it all works great.

However it doesn't seem to work with my C4CPC cart plugged in using a custom cart image containing Parados replacing the normal AMSDOS ROM so switched back to original Burnin Rubber cart.

Also doesn't seem to work if plugged in to my MX4 board even if it's the only board connected in slot 1. I just get random graphics or lines on the screen.

As such I can't use my X-Mem with its memory expansion capability.

Is there any way to resolve the above please? Does it need external power when connected anything other than directly? Is it a power consumption issue if I have all the above connected?

Sorry for all the questions, don't to seem like I'm moaning as this is such an awesome board and idea.

TFM

Could be a weak power supply, try to provide external power. Also put M4 properly in MX4 board. Sorry, that's all coming up in brief.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Duke

Did you upgrade the M4 to v1.0.1 (Do a |version and if still at 1.0.0 |upgrade).
If C4CPC maps amsdos/parados and M4 runs at rom 7 there will be a conflict, so you need to set M4 to ie. rom6. I don't know if that will solve the C4CPC problem, as I haven't got one.

Yes you probably need an external power supply connected to the MotherX4 board, that's what I found when testing it (I used a 5V 2A).

Let me know how it goes when you try with an external PSU.

Quote from: Maniac on 22:00, 09 June 16
Mine just arrived yesterday and I need some time to play properly but I have a few questions.

If I connect the M4 board directly to my 6128 plus it all works great.

However it doesn't seem to work with my C4CPC cart plugged in using a custom cart image containing Parados replacing the normal AMSDOS ROM so switched back to original Burnin Rubber cart.

Also doesn't seem to work if plugged in to my MX4 board even if it's the only board connected in slot 1. I just get random graphics or lines on the screen.

As such I can't use my X-Mem with its memory expansion capability.

Is there any way to resolve the above please? Does it need external power when connected anything other than directly? Is it a power consumption issue if I have all the above connected?

Sorry for all the questions, don't to seem like I'm moaning as this is such an awesome board and idea.

Bryce

As far as I know, the MX4 has a diode that's dropping the voltage from 5V to around 4.3V. If the M4 is using a 5V to 3.3V regulator then it probably isn't getting enough voltage to power up.

Bryce.

Duke

Ah, thanks for the input, that makes sense. Yes its using a ams1117-3.3V regulator.
Quote from: Bryce on 07:17, 10 June 16
As far as I know, the MX4 has a diode that's dropping the voltage from 5V to around 4.3V. If the M4 is using a 5V to 3.3V regulator then it probably isn't getting enough voltage to power up.

Bryce.

Bryce

Quote from: Duke on 07:24, 10 June 16
Ah, thanks for the input, that makes sense. Yes its using a ams1117-3.3V regulator.

A good choice, but unfortunately the ams1117-3.3 has a dropout voltage of 1.1V, so the M4 won't work reliably (if at all) on an MX4.

Bryce.

Duke

Unless you use external power supply. You can also plug a USB psu directly to the M4 board (just change the jumper).

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 07:51, 10 June 16
Unless you use external power supply. You can also plug a USB psu directly to the M4 board (just change the jumper).
What amp rating does the USB psu have to have please? Will an iPhone charger using a USB cable do the job please?

Sorry one further question; what wifi standards does the board support please? I.e WPA, WPA2 with a pre-shared key. Also can the MAC address be found via the CPC?

Duke

5V 1A should do, though I used a 5V 2A samsung usb charger. I guess an iPhone USB charger is fine (5V 2A too, isn't it?).
WPA/WPA2 PSK is fine.
MAC is only displayed in the webinterface.

Quote from: Maniac on 08:35, 10 June 16
What amp rating does the USB psu have to have please? Will an iPhone charger using a USB cable do the job please?

Sorry one further question; what wifi standards does the board support please? I.e WPA, WPA2 with a pre-shared key. Also can the MAC address be found via the CPC?

Bryce

Unless you've really messed up big time, I doubt your M4 uses more than 500mA, so any USB charger should work. Current iPhone chargers are 1A.

Bryce.

Duke

Yup, but not many phone charges below 1A  I think :)
Quote from: Bryce on 08:52, 10 June 16
Unless you've really messed up big time, I doubt your M4 uses more than 500mA, so any USB charger should work. Current iPhone chargers are 1A.

Bryce.

Bryce

Older chargers were all only 500mA! Which is why it took so much longer to charge phones back then. Some modern ones are still only 500mA (I have a relatively new HTC 500mA one here).

Bryce.

TotO

500mA is huge. I doubt too... All my boards together use half of that.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Duke

I agree. The ESP8266 is a power hungry chip with peak up to ~300mA.

Bryce

I did a quick "back of an envelope" calculation (no schematics, just using the picture of the card) and I estimate that the current consumption could have an absolute max peak of about 430mA, but that would mean that the M4 was running full speed with all GPIO on, the WiFi was transmitting at full power (+17dbm is its limit as far as I know) and the SD card was being written to, all at the same time. As this scenario is extremely unlikely, the average current is probably half that.

Bryce.

Duke

Thanks, yes in worst case 500mA is plenty.
Quote from: Bryce on 09:21, 10 June 16
I did a quick "back of an envelope" calculation (no schematics, just using the picture of the card) and I estimate that the current consumption could have an absolute max peak of about 430mA, but that would mean that the M4 was running full speed with all GPIO on, the WiFi was transmitting at full power (+17dbm is its limit as far as I know) and the SD card was being written to, all at the same time. As this scenario is extremely unlikely, the average current is probably half that.

Bryce.

SRS

As loading a program I could run easily yesterday today resets my 464, I will try to clean expansion port and use external power (the green monitor is not my old own one but some picked up from the bay, so maye power regulation isn't that stable anymore).

And a noob question: I managed to connect to my wifi, device is getting IP and router shows it is is connected (not under its "name", but as "ESP_833AE7")

BUT i can't connect from my WIN10 PC to it.

Not with http://CPC464 and also not with http://198.xxx.xxx.xxxxxx

So ... any ideas ? Did someone suceed with similar configuration ?

Duke

Try typing |netstat and see what it says about connection status.

And try a ping to your ip number

Also with 464 w/o mx4 you shouldnt need external power, I bet its the connector that needs cleaning.

EDIT: if you changed the M4 rom from 7 to 6, that could explain the game reset also, since some games needs it at 7.

||C|-|E||

Mine arrived today! I will try to test it tonight!  :D

SRS

Quote from: Duke on 11:34, 10 June 16
Try typing |netstat and see what it says about connection status.

And try a ping to your ip number

Also with 464 w/o mx4 you shouldnt need external power, I bet its the connector that needs cleaning.

EDIT: if you changed the M4 rom from 7 to 6, that could explain the game reset also, since some games needs it at 7.

Netstat says: Got IP xxx.xxx.xx

ping to this IP says: Zielhost nicht erreichbar. (host unreachable)

I didn't change any of the config of M$, it is version 1.0.1 (esp is 1.0.0)

Duke

Weird.. Could it be some firewall issue in Win10?

Dunno if you used manual ip config, if so maybe try to use DHCP and see how that goes.
|netset,"ssid=..., pw=..., dhcp = 1"

|netstat
got ip x....

C:>ping x...

Btw. when you access / ping the board, your CPC should be on, even if it uses external power.

Quote from: SRS on 19:48, 10 June 16
Netstat says: Got IP xxx.xxx.xx

ping to this IP says: Zielhost nicht erreichbar. (host unreachable)

I didn't change any of the config of M$, it is version 1.0.1 (esp is 1.0.0)

Duke

Also in current config, if not too late, try to use the |time function.
If it reports correct time (you may do it twice). It's gotta be a firewall issue of win10

SRS

TIME gives correct time (dhcp=1).

Duke

Ok, that's a clear indication imo. that WiFi can talk to router (and further to the ntp server), but not to PC, so something on the PC side is blocking communications. I just quickly tried from my win10 laptop and had no issues, so maybe if you have some 3rd party antivirus/firewall, I think that's the likely cause.

Quote from: SRS on 20:13, 10 June 16
TIME gives correct time (dhcp=1).