News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

Segger J-Link is fine, that's what I use too. The ST-Link is based on a STM8 and their custom SWD/SWIM protocol (sorta save money buying a fully fledged jtag, and it actually works better most the time).
Quote from: Bryce on 21:10, 15 June 16
I have an original Xilinx and a Segger programmer to cover most JTAG jobs. I've seen there's an Arduino based solution too knocking about, but I haven't tried it.

Bryce.

Bryce

Yeah, I find I use the Segger much more than the Xilinx. Even for Xilinx stuff.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

Last night I found something curious when the board is plugged. Somehow, it seems to be messing with the HXC loader  :) . So, the story is as follows: if you I have the HXC connected and you use its buttons to navigate, access the folders, etc. everything works well, including disc loading. However, if you decide to use the loader from the Amstrad, as soon as you execute RUN"HXC the thing stops working. The computer seems to freeze and sometimes a random pattern appears on the screen. Actually, I was not even able to make a CAT. However, when unplugging the board everything works well. I am using it with the MX4, just in case it is of interest, and the computer is a 6128 Plus with the C4CPC :)

Duke

Strange :)
I assume you M4 ROM after amsdos, I guess to use HXC amsdos need to be present?
If you do a |m4romoff before running the loader, does it work then?
If not can you give me a link to the HXC loader file (maybe I can try it here even without the HXC).

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 10:54, 17 June 16
Last night I found something curious when the board is plugged. Somehow, it seems to be messing with the HXC loader  :) . So, the story is as follows: if you I have the HXC connected and you use its buttons to navigate, access the folders, etc. everything works well, including disc loading. However, if you decide to use the loader from the Amstrad, as soon as you execute RUN"HXC the thing stops working. The computer seems to freeze and sometimes a random pattern appears on the screen. Actually, I was not even able to make a CAT. However, when unplugging the board everything works well. I am using it with the MX4, just in case it is of interest, and the computer is a 6128 Plus with the C4CPC :)

||C|-|E||

Here is the file, this is probably the fastest way to test it :)

[attachurl=2]

Duke

Thanks for the files ||C|-|E||.

I will check up on it later (busy with board assembly). Btw. if you are using m4bootrom, |m4romoff, doesn't really work (or in a sense that amsdos/parados will not work too). This is something I will need to fix too.
Maybe that's the issue you have run into.
--------------

Some progress  8)

Maniac

Having tried out the DSK mounting via the M4 I tried to mount an image I made of a ROMDOS D20 format disk. The mount worked and when I listed the directory it also looked good. However when I tried to load or run anything I just got a 'Direct command issued' or similar error back. Is this expected? How do you mount the DSK images? Do you read the format info from them please?

Sorry I don't know too much about how the DSK format works other than I know these images work in WinApe.

Duke

.dsk files are mounted with |cd command.
It may not support all formats yet, I tested the most used (plain system & data format single sided) that I could download.
If your .dsk is double sided that may be the issue. I'd appreciete if you email me the .dsk file, then I can take a look when I get time and fix it.

Quote from: Maniac on 13:53, 18 June 16
Having tried out the DSK mounting via the M4 I tried to mount an image I made of a ROMDOS D20 format disk. The mount worked and when I listed the directory it also looked good. However when I tried to load or run anything I just got a 'Direct command issued' or similar error back. Is this expected? How do you mount the DSK images? Do you read the format info from them please?

Sorry I don't know too much about how the DSK format works other than I know these images work in WinApe.

Duke

Messing a bit around with the rom board emulation code, M4 board can now replace lower rom too.

That is very useful, atleast if you don't have a lowerrom board already.
It means that you can ie. upgrade 464 to Basic 1.1.
It also means I can add a patch to the lower rom so that initializing AMSDOS via firmware would instead initialize M4 rom even if not mounted at pos. 7 (as not all CPC6128's can do this). Giving much better compatiblity.

I wil probably sacrifice rom slot 31 for lower-rom replacement, it's still  a wip, I need to see if I can fit code to "enable/disable" it, but hopefully in next firmware upgrade.

Below CPC6128+ with regular CPC6128 lowerrom and Basic, same with the Schneider CPC464.

Joseman

Hi @Duke

I received the Board, but when i plug it on the CPC, nothing happens...

[Edit]

just used an external power supply and adjust the data cable, all works now!!!!!

Thanks for this piece of hardware!!

Duke

Glad you got it working.

And yes to anyone else having received it/receiving it in the coming days, when using Mother X4 (MX4), you must use external power supply.
If using cable/connector directly to the CPC, it will work on the CPC power supply.

Quote from: Joseman on 23:03, 26 June 16
Hi @Duke

I received the Board, but when i plug it on the CPC, nothing happens...

[Edit]

just used an external power supply and adjust the data cable, all works now!!!!!

Thanks for this piece of hardware!!

Rennert

The Board works fine ;)
I have uploaded FutureOS and SymbOS to Roms, but don't work Roms don't recogniced. Other Roms works.
...KC Compact

Duke

Make sure there is no amsdos header on the roms before uploading (should be 16384 bytes in size). They should work, but been a while since I tried them.

Quote from: Rennert on 08:49, 28 June 16
The Board works fine ;)
I have uploaded FutureOS and SymbOS to Roms, but don't work Roms don't recogniced. Other Roms works.

dirtybb

Quote from: Duke on 08:58, 28 June 16
Make sure there is no amsdos header on the roms before uploading (should be 16384 bytes in size). They should work, but been a while since I tried them.

If one is present, is there a way by software to easily remove the AMSDOS Header of a ROM ?

Duke

Just open it in a hex editor and remove the first 128 bytes. But maybe there is a tool somewhere already?

Quote from: dirtybb on 09:08, 28 June 16

If one is present, is there a way by software to easily remove the AMSDOS Header of a ROM ?

Rennert

Thx, i have removed the header of FutureOS and it works ;D
SymBOS A was uploaded on Rom6, this is for M4 board.

now all works ;)
...KC Compact

skywalky

I received mine. Thank you. Now I have to find time to test it  :(

CraigsBar

Mine arrived this morning. It will go straight into the justcpc 128k for some testing tonight ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Duke

Cool, that'll be a first - hope it's justcpc 128k compatible :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 16:42, 28 June 16
Cool, that'll be a first - hope it's justcpc 128k compatible :)
It is compatible, And it is F'KING awesome. Oh My God this board is amazing

On the Just CPC, No external power needed for the M4, No floppy drive installed and it works straight away. I love it :)

Thank you for making this awesomeness a reality :)

Craig

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:37, 28 June 16
It is compatible, And it is F'KING awesome. Oh My God this board is amazing

On the Just CPC, No external power needed for the M4, No floppy drive installed and it works straight away. I love it :)

Thank you for making this awesomeness a reality :)

Craig

CraigsBar

@Duke how many boards have been made and shipped? It would be amazing to see some SD card based software to run on this board. My initial suggestions are below!

Irc client
Ftp client
Ssh client
Text mode web browser

I guess they should be possible. Less likely are the ones listed below

Graphical browser
Ssh server
Email client (SSL might be pushing it)

anyone fancy volunteering to create these? In amsdos, futureos or symbos these would be amazing.

Duke

About 45 or so out of 86, people can keep track of the progress, in the first post here: Amstrad CPC WiFi

Of the below only webbrowser is possible right now, I am still to add functions so that you can make your own connection (it'll come...).

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:42, 29 June 16
@Duke how many boards have been made and shipped? It would be amazing to see some SD card based software to run on this board. My initial suggestions are below!

Irc client
Ftp client
Ssh client
Text mode web browser

I guess they should be possible. Less likely are the ones listed below

Graphical browser
Ssh server
Email client (SSL might be pushing it)

anyone fancy volunteering to create these? In amsdos, futureos or symbos these would be amazing.

SOS

Quote from: Duke on 12:35, 29 June 16
people can keep track of the progress, in the first post here: Amstrad CPC WiFi
What about a live webcam of your factory, to see the progress of the work?  ;D :laugh:

Bryce

Here's a sneak-peek of Dukes basement....

:D

Bryce.