News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

robcfg

hsimpson

@Duke
Shipment arrived safely. Tests I will be doing over the weekend (lack of time).

Thanks a lot :)

mr_lou

I received mine too some days ago, but haven't been able to try it out yet. Missing the cable, which I ordered from TotO, hopefully here soon.

Duke

Due to insomnia, here is a small update (beta for now) for M4 Board.
You can now replace lowerrom, meaning you can upgrade ie. CPC464 to Basic 1.1.

Download firmware v1.0.4:
http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v104.zip

See screenshot below for usage (simply Enable lower-rom and pick a slot for it, where you upload the rom to).
Edit: A little temporary workaround if you experince browser crashing while uploading/removing roms. Go to Control first, press CPC Pause. Then go to Roms and upload/change things. When finished go back to Control and press M4 reset. And don't use Chrome yet.

CraigsBar

Yippee, Yes I tested this and it works, My M4 now has FW3.15 and the fw 3.15 expansion Rom, both installed and working perfectly.

All I need now is a Standalone memory expansion for the JustCPC and it will be amzinf, Anyone fancy making a MX4 connected 512k expansion?

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Duke

Good.
XMEM should be fine for 512k expansion no?

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:54, 08 July 16
Yippee, Yes I tested this and it works, My M4 now has FW3.15 and the fw 3.15 expansion Rom, both installed and working perfectly.

All I need now is a Standalone memory expansion for the JustCPC and it will be amzinf, Anyone fancy making a MX4 connected 512k expansion?

Craig

CraigsBar

Yeah, but I want to move that to another CPC now that I have a lower romboard in the M4 ;)

Munchausen

Quote from: CraigsBar on 13:17, 08 July 16
Yeah, but I want to move that to another CPC now that I have a lower romboard in the M4 ;)

You can get an XS-MEM (I think that's the right name, might be Y-MEM). It's an X-MEM but without the ROM. Ask @TotO , he made one for me a year or two ago. Price is a bit less than a full X-MEM IIRC

CraigsBar

That would do it just perfectly ;)

TFM

Quote from: Munchausen on 13:45, 08 July 16
You can get an XS-MEM (I think that's the right name, might be Y-MEM). It's an X-MEM but without the ROM. Ask @TotO , he made one for me a year or two ago. Price is a bit less than a full X-MEM IIRC

No, a Y-MEM is the same like an X-MEM, but the ROMs are 32-63 (instead of 00-31) and the 512 KB RAM will be addressed using port &7Exx (instead of &7Fxx).

But one question form my side: How can I upload a ROM from the CPC side into the M4? (I would like to add that functionality to the ROManager).

A second question: Is there an "official" way of detecting if an M4 is connected to the CPC?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Rennert

where can i download the FW 3.16?
i´ve see it, but don´t found anymore.
...KC Compact

Duke

Use the fopen, fseek and fwrite commands to add a rom to m4/romslots.bin (offset = slot * &4000).
To parse just a block of a file you need to use FA_READ|FA_WRITE for fopen flags, then you can fseek into the file and just overwrite a block.
#define FA_READ            0x01
#define FA_WRITE            0x02
#define FA_CREATE_NEW        0x04

Then modify (read/overwrite) m4/romconfig.bin and set the corresponding updateflag to 2 (new rom).
Structure of romconfig.bin:
int    totalRoms; // 32
int    m4RomNum;  // M4 rom to map rom number 0-255
int    m4RomEnable; // M4 rom enabled
int    romRangeStart;    // start mapping roms from
int    lowerEnable; // lower rom replacement enabled
int    lowerSlot;   // which slot maps lowerrom (0-31)
unsigned int reserved[2]; // set to zero for now
then for each rom:
typedef struct
{
    char updateflag;    // 0 = no rom present (or disabled), 1 = rom present (enabled), 2 = New rom will be flashed into M4 internal flash, 3 = remove rom
    char    name[32];  // name of rom to be displayed in webinterface
} _romConfig[32];

I guess to check for M4 would be to issue one of the commands, ie. version command and check for a response or scan the roms for the rom name "M4 Board".

Quote from: TFM on 18:07, 08 July 16
But one question form my side: How can I upload a ROM from the CPC side into the M4? (I would like to add that functionality to the ROManager).

A second question: Is there an "official" way of detecting if an M4 is connected to the CPC?

dirtybb

Quote from: Rennert on 19:34, 08 July 16
where can i download the FW 3.16?
i´ve see it, but don´t found anymore.

You will find it here :
GitHub - realmml/FW3.1x: A series of patches over the original Amstrad CPC

Duke

Deleted redundant, dirtybb found the proper location for fw3.16.

TFM

Thanks Duke! Doesn't look like Z80 code, but after reading twice I understood.  :)   :laugh:   :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Ok Further testing. This is genius!!

I have put Parados 1.2 in the physical Rom 7 in the JustCPC board.
Put M4Rom in Slot 7 fro the menu
Set Slot 7 as Lower Rom and put FW3.1x there
so SLot 7 now has 3 roms.. Lower, Parados 1.2 and m4 rom

OK. Boot the board, fw3.1x and m4 roms are both loaded - Only one rom of the 32 is used :)

issue |m4romoff

fw3.1x and Parados1.2 are loaded - Again only 1 rom used from the 32 :)

this is awesome, perfect, fantastic!!

@Prodatron @TFM , any chance of a version of Symbos/FutureOS that can boot from the m4 board and run entirely from the SDcard A: thus not using any more ROMs?

Thanks

Craig

Phantomz

I haven't had a proper play about with mine yet, so haven't tried to use the wifi or roms.

I just checked that the board powered up and worked.

I did notice that the multiface two button didn't reset the machine when I tried it, doesn't it work when M4 Board is plugged it?  I don't think my reset button is broken!

I only tried the board with a real multiface two on a normal cpc 6128 with the M4 Board with Adapter.

Duke

New update v1.0.5 (beta):

Download from here:
http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v105.zip

3 new RSX commands:

|ROMUP   - Use this to upload roms from basic/cpc, ie. |ROMUP,"UTOPIA.ROM",15 will upload utopia to slot 15.
|ROMSET -  Used to enable/disable roms (by default roms are enabled when uploaded). To disable rom slot 15, type |ROMSET,15,0. To re-enable it |ROMSET,15,1
|ROMUPD - This command will update rom changes live without a reboot needed. Ie. if you disable a rom and want it to take effect without reboot, use |ROMUPD afterwards.

2 new commands for devs:
C_FSIZE and C_FTELL, see updated http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/m4info.txt (press ctrl+R to get latest) for details.
1 new file access mode (&80 = real fatfs mode)

@TFM and any other devs interested, here is a an example of the |ROMUP rsx I made, which shows how to upload a rom. This code is running from M4 rom, so some switching will need to be added, to/from another rom or ram:
#10902802 - Pastie

@CraigsBar
Neat little discovery, and yes, M4 rom does not actually take a slot, so perfectly fine way of doing it (toggling between two rom7's).

@Phantomz
I don't have a multiface, so not sure, but if the reset button is a regular reset (not some NMI related MF2 stuff) it definately should work, I would check connectors, replug etc.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 17:37, 09 July 16
New update v1.0.5 (beta):

Download from here:
http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v105.zip

3 new RSX commands:

|ROMUP   - Use this to upload roms from basic/cpc, ie. |ROMUP,"UTOPIA.ROM",15 will upload utopia to slot 15.
|ROMSET -  Used to enable/disable roms (by default roms are enabled when uploaded). To disable rom slot 15, type |ROMSET,15,0. To re-enable it |ROMSET,15,1
|ROMUPD - This command will update rom changes live without a reboot needed. Ie. if you disable a rom and want it to take effect without reboot, use |ROMUPD afterwards.

2 new commands for devs:
C_FSIZE and C_FTELL, see updated http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/m4info.txt (press ctrl+R to get latest) for details.
1 new file access mode (&80 = real fatfs mode)

@TFM and any other devs interested, here is a an example of the |ROMUP rsx I made, which shows how to upload a rom. This code is running from M4 rom, so some switching will need to be added, to/from another rom or ram:
#10902802 - Pastie

@CraigsBar
Neat little discovery, and yes, M4 rom does not actually take a slot, so perfectly fine way of doing it (toggling between two rom7's).

@Phantomz
I don't have a multiface, so not sure, but if the reset button is a regular reset (not some NMI related MF2 stuff) it definately should work, I would check connectors, replug etc.

Upgraded with this version. All sees to have gone well, Although can I just confirm |version reports M4 on version 1.0.5 and ESP still 1.04, or did my ESP not update successfully?

Duke

Yes, ESP firmware wasn't changed in this version... Will bump it next time :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 06:30, 10 July 16
Yes, ESP firmware wasn't changed in this version... Will bump it next time :)

That makes sence then :) Oh, ANd the Web GUI still reflects 1.0.3

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:17, 10 July 16

That makes sence then :) Oh, ANd the Web GUI still reflects 1.0.3
Oops, and perhaps a slight bug report.....

|upgrade and |httpget now seem to hang the CPC.

Duke

Thanks, glad someone is keeping an eye with the updates :) -will get the version numbers sorted in next update.
Just checked |httpget and |upgrade here and it works fine.... What's your netstat saying?

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:48, 10 July 16
Oops, and perhaps a slight bug report.....

|upgrade and |httpget now seem to hang the CPC.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 10:52, 10 July 16
Thanks, glad someone is keeping an eye with the updates :) -will get the version numbers sorted in next update.
Just checked |httpget and |upgrade here and it works fine.... What's your netstat saying?

Netstat was fine.... I have now extracted the files from the zip again, and re-applied them. both commands work fine now.
It must have been a dodgy Extraction or updatge first time.

:)

Munchausen

Quote from: TFM on 18:07, 08 July 16
No, a Y-MEM is the same like an X-MEM, but the ROMs are 32-63 (instead of 00-31) and the 512 KB RAM will be addressed using port &7Exx (instead of &7Fxx).

Aha, that's right. So it's an XS-MEM then. I can't remember if the RAM is also addressed at &7Fxx in the XS-MEM though. Either way, TotO can supply several different configurations.