News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Alright, I get light in the LEDs too when using USB from PC. (Just used power-supply before, which may be dead?).

But still nothing when connected to CPC.
So, either bad cable or bad CPC. I assume TotO tested the cable, so... bad CPC.
Will try with another CPC next weekend.

Bryce

This was already discussed earlier in the thread. Due to the lower <5V supply on the MX4, the Wifi card will only work when it gets power from the USB socket.

Here: Amstrad CPC WiFi

Bryce.

Duke

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:54, 22 July 16
Alright, I get light in the LEDs too when using USB from PC. (Just used power-supply before, which may be dead?).

But still nothing when connected to CPC.
So, either bad cable or bad CPC. I assume TotO tested the cable, so... bad CPC.
Will try with another CPC next weekend.
Try not using a PSU, and set JUMPER to EXT. plug it directly into the CPC464 using the edge cable from Toto.
Does blue light come on?
If blue light goes on, clean the expansion port x 10 (IPA) :) - It's so far always been the problem when there was one
If the blue light does not come on when jumper is at EXT and connected to the CPC464, it sounds like something has gone wrong with board, although I do run some longer tests on each board before shipping. Then send it back so I can fix it or send you a new one.

mr_lou

Quote from: Duke on 12:44, 22 July 16
Try not using a PSU, and set JUMPER to EXT. plug it directly into the CPC464 using the edge cable from Toto.
Does blue light come on?
If blue light goes on, clean the expansion port x 10 (IPA) :) - It's so far always been the problem when there was one
If the blue light does not come on when jumper is at EXT and connected to the CPC464, it sounds like something has gone wrong with board, although I do run some longer tests on each board before shipping. Then send it back so I can fix it or send you a new one.

Not using a PSU, and having jumper at EXT was the first approach. No LEDs comes on. I suspected shipping might have done something to it.
But using USB wire while jumper is a USB does light up a few LEDs, so now I'm guessing the board works and my expansion port is to blame.
So then I tried PSU + jumper at EXT, but no LEDs still.
TotO also sent a cable for my CPCplus, so I can try that one, but won't have time before next weekend.
I do also have another CPC464 somewhere that I might try earlier.... actually I do have a few minutes right about now, so lemme see if I can find it.  :)

Duke

You should just stick to jumper at EXT for now and no PSU (it's not needed when using cable direct).
The odd part is that the blue LED is connected to 3.3V on the board, so as soon as the power  goes through the voltage regulator it will go on. The voltage regulator is working since it can go on when you use USB power supply.
So what's left, a dodgy connection on VCC from the CPC or the jumper solder point, if there was a short the CPC wouldn't turn on.
Just to be 100% sure, when you connect the cable from Toto, and plug in the board is the reset button + leds etc facing upwards when laying on the table?

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:05, 22 July 16
Not using a PSU, and having jumper at EXT was the first approach. No LEDs comes on. I suspected shipping might have done something to it.
But using USB wire while jumper is a USB does light up a few LEDs, so now I'm guessing the board works and my expansion port is to blame.
So then I tried PSU + jumper at EXT, but no LEDs still.
TotO also sent a cable for my CPCplus, so I can try that one, but won't have time before next weekend.
I do also have another CPC464 somewhere that I might try earlier.... actually I do have a few minutes right about now, so lemme see if I can find it.  :)

mr_lou

Ahem....   I don't suppose there's any way I can just erase your memory and rewind time for everyone a bit?
Too damn embarrassing to tell what I was doing wrong....

Everything seems to work. But here's a hint:
Plug it into the right port...   :-[

* mr_lou goes to sit in the corner for the next week.

Duke

Just glad it works!  :D

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 11:58, 22 July 16
This was already discussed earlier in the thread. Due to the lower <5V supply on the MX4, the Wifi card will only work when it gets power from the USB socket.

Here: Amstrad CPC WiFi

Bryce.
Well I have to say neither of mine have usb power ;) one in the just CPC and one on the mx4 on the plus.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Kris

Same thing for me, no PSU added and evrything is working well ;)

Last update done and OK  ;)

dirtybb

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:30, 22 July 16
Ahem....   I don't suppose there's any way I can just erase your memory and rewind time for everyone a bit?
Too damn embarrassing to tell what I was doing wrong....

Everything seems to work. But here's a hint:
Plug it into the right port...   :-[

* mr_lou goes to sit in the corner for the next week.

Perhaps you can ask men in black ? [emoji16]

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

CraigsBar

Hmmm, OK. 1.0.7 on both cards and I still cannot copy directly between them both. No error as such, sometimes it locks up both host and client m4 boards, sometime copying completes but with 0 bytes, no file is created.

Quite odd. But I am away for the weekend now, so will not be playing with it again until Monday night.

Duke

Yeah you are right :/ - When I was testing it, I had v1.0.6 on the board I was downloading from, but when I try now with both boards on v1.0.7 I have same issue, so some new bug must have crept in.
I'll review it later.

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:07, 22 July 16
Hmmm, OK. 1.0.7 on both cards and I still cannot copy directly between them both. No error as such, sometimes it locks up both host and client m4 boards, sometime copying completes but with 0 bytes, no file is created.

Quite odd. But I am away for the weekend now, so will not be playing with it again until Monday night.

mr_lou

Quote from: Duke on 09:37, 24 July 16
Yeah you are right :/ - When I was testing it, I had v1.0.6 on the board I was downloading from, but when I try now with both boards on v1.0.7 I have same issue, so some new bug must have crept in.
I'll review it later.

....you didn't plug any of them into the wrong port, did ya?
coz... sometimes that happens...   I've heard....

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 09:37, 24 July 16
I'll review it later.
Ahh, good to know I am not totally stupid :) I am just home from a really busy weekend, and I am very tired.

tecnoxarxa

I need two and two m4 main board with edge connector.

thanks!

Duke

I need to check inventory first :) - is that 2 with MX4 and 2 with Edge, or just 2 with Edge?.. I got enough left for two atleast, send me a private message with your email address.

Quote from: tecnoxarxa on 17:38, 25 July 16
I need two and two m4 main board with edge connector.

thanks!

Duke

Responses from @tonio8bits @Manu @dvallet @zhulien on pm's, apprecieted, M4 boards seeking owners :) - Since email notifications on the forum isn't working anymore, maybe there's a chance you will see this. Check your pm's, thanks.

Inventory status if above pick up their boards and tecnoxarxa takes 4 pcs:
5 boards left (but missing chips, eta. 3-4 weeks)
1 adapter board
2 edge connectors (maybe 0 if two of the "awaiting connector" boards pick edge).

Total made so far 99 pcs.

From then on, any new batch will have to have atleast 10 pre-orders.

mr_lou

If you have any trouble getting rid of the last few, I'll take one more.  :)
I seriously doubt it of course. Just sayin'.  :)
(It'll have to be fully assembled though, coz I have absolutely no skills whatsoever in that department).

Duke

Noted, mr_lou, thanks.
If any left when I get the chips for the last 5, I'll let you know.

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:24, 25 July 16
If you have any trouble getting rid of the last few, I'll take one more.  :)
I seriously doubt it of course. Just sayin'.  :)
(It'll have to be fully assembled though, coz I have absolutely no skills whatsoever in that department).

Duke

v1.0.8 beta, with just two tiny fixes.   Download here : http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v108b.zip
* Fix (I hope, works here!) downloading between M4 boards using IP number... Note all files stored on sd card are accessible via http, when prefixing sd path in the url.
From a pc you can use ie. wget http://192.168.1.10/sd/myfile.bas, the same if you have another M4 board, then |httpget,"192.168.1.10/sd/myfile.bas"   (192.168.1.10 being the ip number of the CPC you want to download from).
* Small fix to |dir cmd, so Rhino's cool Perfect Pix program can load and save files. To fully use Perfect Pix with M4 board, you should extract the files from the DSK image and put them into a sub directory, so you have save ability too.

Kris

Just great to have such a fast & nice support from your side: I would like to use this thread "just" to thank you for that !  ;D

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 21:56, 25 July 16
v1.0.8 beta, with just two tiny fixes.   Download here : http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v108b.zip
* Fix (I hope, works here!) downloading between M4 boards using IP number... Note all files stored on sd card are accessible via http, when prefixing sd path in the url.
From a pc you can use ie. wget http://192.168.1.10/sd/myfile.bas, the same if you have another M4 board, then |httpget,"192.168.1.10/sd/myfile.bas"   (192.168.1.10 being the ip number of the CPC you want to download from).
* Small fix to |dir cmd, so Rhino's cool Perfect Pix program can load and save files. To fully use Perfect Pix with M4 board, you should extract the files from the DSK image and put them into a sub directory, so you have save ability too.
Hi Duke, if this is the same as the alpha you sent me yesterday, then it seems to still fail :( perhaps someone else could confirm?

It is one step closer now however in that it appears that a tiny 1k file with the right filename is now created, no data transfers tho.

Never mind I can remove the SD cards and copy the files onto them with my Mac.

Craig

Duke

Quote from: CraigsBar on 07:52, 26 July 16
Hi Duke, if this is the same as the alpha you sent me yesterday, then it seems to still fail :( perhaps someone else could confirm?

It is one step closer now however in that it appears that a tiny 1k file with the right filename is now created, no data transfers tho.

Never mind I can remove the SD cards and copy the files onto them with my Mac.

Craig

Yes, the ESPFIRM is the same as the alpha you got (only M4 part got updated with the |dir fix).

On my setup CPC6128+ with M4 ip http://10.0.0.38 and CPC6128 with M4 ip http://10.0.0.37, I do from the CPC6128+.
|httpget,"10.0.0.37/sd/xcontra.dsk"

And it transfers the file just fine. Both boards run latest beta. File (xcontra.dsk) is present in the root directory of the CPC6128 sd card.

CraigsBar

Hmmm. OK, is the path case sensitive? I'll try again.

Duke

Quote from: CraigsBar on 08:52, 26 July 16
Hmmm. OK, is the path case sensitive? I'll try again.
Yes the /sd/ should be lower case.