News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

All 32 roms should be able to initialize on 464 too, when using FW316UK32.ROM

I haven't tried the FW316EXP.ROM, but I think it's an upper rom with rom manager, which probably is no use for M4 board.

Quote from: DerSchatten on 19:48, 27 July 16
thanks!
what's the difference between FW316UK16.ROM and FW316UK32.ROM ?
Is this the ROM-Socket what i use?
Can the CPC464 use all 32 ROM Slots? I heave hear ther can only use 16 Slots. Or is this only a Limitation from the ROM-Box (X-MEM, MegaFlash NG)
What is the File FW316EXP.ROM ?

Duke

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 19:51, 27 July 16

Thanks for the information Duke. Hmm seems like a bit of a waste of my X-Mem to disable the ROM board function part of it, but if it's easier to do that rather than turn the ROM board function part off on the M4 Board, then that's what I will have to do.

Shame that I cannot print directly from 6128 via the WiFi part of the M4 Board. Can it be done if someone could write the software to do it, or is it just not possible?

Is the M4 Board compatible with ParaDos by the way? I only ask, as I have a swichable dual Amsdos/ParaDos ROM in my 6128 and when I switch it to ParaDos, I cannot call ParaDos up using the |drive command/rsx.

If you moved M4 rom board out of range you would loose 32 roms that are not easy accessible (of course programmers could easy use them). If you disable rom board function of XMEM you loose 32 roms, so imho. it doesn't really matter which you disable/move.

To use parados or amsdos, type |m4romoff, it will last until you turn power off/on the CPC.

EDIT: About WiFi printer, technically of course its possible, but I have no idea about the work involved, probably there is not a generic method, hence the need for printer drivers on PC, which I think would amount to too much work, and with the wifi setup you can transfer your protext files in a split second to pc and print them out.

CPC_Fan

Thanks again Duke. Sorry for asking all the questions, but I never really got into the programming side of the CPC, so I don't necessarily understand all the technicalities of it. Maybe I will just use the |m4romoff command for now.

With regards to WiFi printing. Yeah I kind of guessed that software would have to be written for it. Don't worry I don't expect you to do it  :)   I'm just grateful that you designed and built the M4 Board in the first place  :D   How do I use the WiFi set up to transfer any Protext files to my PC and print them out by the way?

Duke

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 20:44, 27 July 16
With regards to WiFi printing. Yeah I kind of guessed that software would have to be written for it. Don't worry I don't expect you to do it  :)   I'm just grateful that you designed and built the M4 Board in the first place  :D   How do I use the WiFi set up to transfer any Protext files to my PC and print them out by the way?

The simple method is:
On your PC, open firefox/internet explorer and type http://cpc-ipno/sd/nameofprotextfile

In this case when you open it in notepad or whatever on PC you need to cut off the amsdos header (first 128 bytes).

The other method is to use the small cpcxfer program I wrote, it can automatically remove the header. But it's a command line tool, so maybe not so straight forward for everyone.
Eitherway if you download cpcxfer (or just xfer.exe, grab the exe from here GitHub - M4Duke/cpcxfer: Cmd line tool to transfer files to and from M4 board ).
Then open a dos box and type:
xfer -d cpcipaddr protextfile / 1

It will download the file to your pc and remove the header, and you should be able to load up the file in ie. notepad.

You can just as easily upload it again with changes... these are current parameters:

xfer -u ipaddr file path opt            - Upload file, opt 0: no header add, 1: add ascii header
xfer -d ipaddr file path opt            - Download file, opt 0: leave header, 1: remove header
xfer -r ipaddr                          - Reboot M4

Maniac

My set-up currently has my C4CPC in my 6128 Plus with ParaDOS 1.2+, I then have a number of ROMS uploaded to my XMEM with the jumper on the XMEM for the ROMs enabled. On top of this I have my M4 board set-up so that the M4 ROM is on ROM 7. So when the M4 is enabled as it is on power-on the XMEM doesn't load any of it's ROMs (this is by design I believe) and ParaDOS is also overridden and doesn't load. At the moment this seems to give the best compatibility but I need to play around a bit more when time allows with things like SymbOS to see how they work with it.

When I want to use the floppy drive or HxC I run a |M4ROMOFF command and after the reset all of the XMEM ROMS load and I can use |DRIVE from ParaDOS and load stuff from floppy or HxC as per normal.

Hope that helps.

DerSchatten

Duke, i have a big Problem...

The M4 board responds no longer with the message M4 Board V2.0 when i Switch on.
what can I do?
And the RESET-Switch only reset the M4 Board, not the CPC.

Duke

Replug it and clean edge connector again.

Quote from: DerSchatten on 21:28, 27 July 16
Duke, i have a big Problem...

The M4 board responds no longer with the message M4 Board V2.0 when i Switch on.
what can I do?
And the RESET-Switch only reset the M4 Board, not the CPC.

SOS

Hi Duke,

please, could you extend your documentation for the result-data of the Cortex-Commands,
e.g. i receive for command 0x4306:
1. Record:
Hex:   13 06 43 3e 6d 34 20 20 20 20   .....
Ascii:   ..C>m4   
2. Record:
Hex:  13 06 43 52 20 20 20 20 20 20   .............
Ascii:  ..CR       .ASM   1K
3. Record:
Hex:  03 04 43 FF 41 48 54 5a ........
Ascii: ..C.AHTZE~4.DSK 190K

What are the leading 3 Bytes mean?

Thanks

Duke

The first byte is the size of the response and the next two bytes is an echo of the command, it could be used to check if its a valid response (ie, does sending 0x4306 command, give you 0x4306 in the response).
Quote from: SOS on 12:27, 28 July 16
Hi Duke,

please, could you extend your documentation for the result-data of the Cortex-Commands,
e.g. i receive for command 0x4306:
1. Record:
Hex:   13 06 43 3e 6d 34 20 20 20 20   .....
Ascii:   ..C>m4   
2. Record:
Hex:  13 06 43 52 20 20 20 20 20 20   .............
Ascii:  ..CR       .ASM   1K
3. Record:
Hex:  03 04 43 FF 41 48 54 5a ........
Ascii: ..C.AHTZE~4.DSK 190K

What are the leading 3 Bytes mean?

Thanks

remax

I triied many things, but i can't succeed in having both FW316FR32 and the M4 rom active...

I have a config where putting M4 rom in slot 7 doesn't work.

Does someone in the same situation has a working config ?

I can manage to have FW316 active but then i lose the |netstat, |dir and else...

EDIT : doh, i forgot that under FW316, | is | and not ù...  :picard:

So it works.
Brain Radioactivity

DerSchatten

Quote from: Duke on 06:30, 28 July 16
Replug it and clean edge connector again.

Does not help. The X-MEM works correct.
scrap?

CloudStrife

reset button on the multiface ii and reset controlled by the albireo doesn't work with the M4...

Duke

Try to unplug the microSD, incase something got screwed up in the romconfig.bin and romslots.bin.
If it doesn't help when you connect it alone with cable and jumper on EXT and no microSD, then sounds like something has gone wrong with the board, and you will need to send it back to me so I can fix it or send a new one.
Quote from: DerSchatten on 16:05, 28 July 16
Does not help. The X-MEM works correct.
scrap?

Tai

Just to say I've tested my M4 boards today and they work like a charm.
Kudos to Duke for this amazing piece of hardware & software!

DerSchatten

with or without SD-Card makes no difference.
The 3 LED light when turn on, but no more.
I have no external power supply, otherwise I would have also been tested.

Is the USB Plug only a power connector or can this connect also to the PC for Debugging?

Duke

Quote from: CloudStrife on 16:13, 28 July 16
reset button on the multiface ii and reset controlled by the albireo doesn't work with the M4...

I see, will check up on that later.

Duke

So with jumper on EXT and no powersupply, the blue led does not turn on and stay on when you power up the CPC?

The USB is connected to the M4 aswell, but I dont run any software utilizing it.

Quote from: DerSchatten on 16:32, 28 July 16
with or without SD-Card makes no difference.
The 3 LED light when turn on, but no more.
I have no external power supply, otherwise I would have also been tested.

Is the USB Plug only a power connector or can this connect also to the PC for Debugging?

remax

Quote from: Duke on 16:35, 28 July 16
I see, will check up on that later.

Same for the reset button on the mother4X
Brain Radioactivity

Duke

Quote from: remax on 16:55, 28 July 16

Same for the reset button on the mother4X

Ok good, then I can test it myself thanks.

DerSchatten

Quote from: Duke on 16:37, 28 July 16
So with jumper on EXT and no powersupply, the blue led does not turn on and stay on when you power up the CPC?

The USB is connected to the M4 aswell, but I dont run any software utilizing it.

EXT and no Powersupply -> Blue LED light permanent. Red goes short on and off.

dcdrac

ok had time to try again on netstat got no ap found I assume that means no active point, I have WPS turned off on my router if I turn that back on I guess that will push the connection.

Duke

Quote from: dcdrac on 15:07, 29 July 16
ok had time to try again on netstat got no ap found I assume that means no active point, I have WPS turned off on my router if I turn that back on I guess that will push the connection.

It means it didn't find your wifi router / access point. So that means either your SSID is wrong or there is no signal where the CPC is located?

dcdrac

I shall try the 5 gigahertz one tomorrow only tried the 2 gighertz ssid.

anyf33

Hello again i tried this board on a 464 finally. It works well. But i cannot use the tape have build in. The |tape dont work the |disc have the same result. If i remove the board the  tape work ok.
Another question i think is general can i replace the basic rom with this board?
Also i believe that you sould have all the updates in one page with the link on the documentation
P.s. |uprade dont work
The board have 1.0.3

Duke

Quote from: dcdrac on 17:30, 29 July 16
I shall try the 5 gigahertz one tomorrow only tried the 2 gighertz ssid.

The ESP8266 is 2.4 GHz, so it must be the 2.4 GHz network you connect to.
The SSID should be the same as what you see in windows when showing wireless networks or on your cellphone, eq. NETGEAR, and its case sensitive.