News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

@KaosOverride
I have not experinced any difficulties.
Do the files list ok on your PC ?

Also any difference if you use |dir, cat or |ls?

KaosOverride

Quote from: Duke on 20:04, 21 March 18
@KaosOverride
I have not experinced any difficulties.
Do the files list ok on your PC ?

Also any difference if you use |dir, cat or |ls?
At PC files are OK...

The "empty" folders remain empty with any listing command.

The garbage "cat art" also, I don't appreciate differences.

I will do a deep test of the MicroSD later at home.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

VincentGR

Had the same issue with a faulty SD, I knew it was faulty from the beginning and could go well till half the size is reached and then this happens.

KaosOverride

I have tested the SD card with H2testw and looks OK...

I have found some references to some SD cards working OK at 4bit interface (Like PC card readers do) and giving problems with SPI interface (As many microcontrollers read this cards)

So I will try to test tomorrow with another card and try to recreate the bug, if is that the problem...
KaosOverride · GitHub

Duke

Quote from: KaosOverride on 00:31, 22 March 18
I have tested the SD card with H2testw and looks OK...

I have found some references to some SD cards working OK at 4bit interface (Like PC card readers do) and giving problems with SPI interface (As many microcontrollers read this cards)

So I will try to test tomorrow with another card and try to recreate the bug, if is that the problem...
Fwiw. M4 doesn't use SPI for SD card, but 4bit I/O aswell.

KaosOverride

Quote from: Duke on 13:28, 22 March 18
Fwiw. M4 doesn't use SPI for SD card, but 4bit I/O aswell.
I will try different capacity (smaller will try) and totally different brand for next test...

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

KaosOverride · GitHub

SOS

Same here (Samsung 16GB MiniSD) - CAT makes nonsense with directories, which i copied, when the SD-Card was nearly full.
I can't start games, which i copied to the SD-Card, when it's nearly full.
All files on the PC Looks good

Firmware 2.0.4b8

Duke

Ok, I will try to copy game base to a microSD and see if I can reproduce.

In another embarresment, the v2.0.5 beta 1, actually contains the old ESP SDK libraries. I had just done a special build for @Maniac (now you know why 2.0.5b1 works for you) with the old libs and then compiled  v2.0.5b1, must've forgotten a make clean on ESP part :/
So stick v2.0.4 release for now if you don't need the PLUS fix. I noticed it worked much better with SymbOS wget and IRC when testing.

KaosOverride

By the way, I have stable 2.0.4 firm.

Inhave the other M4 with older firmware, I can make some tests tomorrow
KaosOverride · GitHub

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 12:16, 23 March 18
Ok, I will try to copy game base to a microSD and see if I can reproduce.

In another embarresment, the v2.0.5 beta 1, actually contains the old ESP SDK libraries. I had just done a special build for @Maniac (now you know why 2.0.5b1 works for you) with the old libs and then compiled  v2.0.5b1, must've forgotten a make clean on ESP part :/
So stick v2.0.4 release for now if you don't need the PLUS fix. I noticed it worked much better with SymbOS wget and IRC when testing.
Hehe! I did wonder if that was the case!

KaosOverride

I have made some tests, I have repartitioned the SD card with RMPrepUSB and I have found it had a second hidden micropartition, the same it is done with the force USB-HDD option from RMPrepUSB. I have remade it with just one partition and instead of starting at cyl 0 head 0 sect 33, now it's cyl 0 head 1 sect 1

Looks good with the previous amount of data which failed, until I have copied more folders later. Looks like the problem is just delayed until more data is written...

Pending of more testing...
KaosOverride · GitHub

ayasystems

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade my M4

Put the two files into SD card.

M4FIRM.BIN is eresed by M4 board but ESPFIRM.BIN is present on the board.

The CPC is not booting when M4 is attached to the CPC.

I'm try with 2.04, 2.03, 2.05b1 with the same result... fail to boot.

What i am doing wrong?

My M4 is a rev 2.4 2017

Regards!

Duke

Quote from: ayasystems on 17:56, 27 March 18
M4FIRM.BIN is eresed by M4 board but ESPFIRM.BIN is present on the board.

Do you let it finish? If ESPFIRM.BIN is still present it has not been flashed.
Unpack v2.0.4 (release version) to root of microSD.
Put it into the M4 board and power on the CPC.
After a while, notice if you see the led below the blue power led, is it flashing or constantly on?
If it keeps flashing for enternity, try to power cycle the CPC (off/on).

Duke

Quote from: KaosOverride on 17:48, 27 March 18
I have made some tests, I have repartitioned the SD card with RMPrepUSB and I have found it had a second hidden micropartition, the same it is done with the force USB-HDD option from RMPrepUSB. I have remade it with just one partition and instead of starting at cyl 0 head 0 sect 33, now it's cyl 0 head 1 sect 1

Looks good with the previous amount of data which failed, until I have copied more folders later. Looks like the problem is just delayed until more data is written...

Pending of more testing...
Thanks for the info's.

Sorry I haven't got around to test myself yet. I have a feeling it may be a heap related issue, so probably easy to fix once I can reproduce.

Will try soon.

ayasystems

I put 2.04 into cleaned SD

Put into M4 then I connect M4 to CPC and turn CPC on

After 5 sencond the CPC has been restarted. Both leds fixed on. After a time the second led has been started to blink

After 5 minutes with one led fixed and the other one blinking i have turn off then on again

The second led is blinking..... I need to wait more time?

Regards duke!

Scautura

My M4 arrived this morning, and I have to say (even with the issue I'm about to mention), it's an awesome piece of kit!

My issue is as follows: Using the firmware that was installed when I got it (2.0.5b1), no matter what I do to set the LowerROM to be the modified 6128 ROM, it fails miserably to boot properly (if at all), but downgraded to 2.0.4 and it works as expected. Tested with Stunt Car Racer (before: no matter what, it would ask for a disk in A:, after: with the LowerROM, it runs properly, but I haven't tested without!)
I have a feeling some of the issues are with the age of my machine and possible oxidation on the edge connector (I've cleaned it, but it didn't work at all the first couple of times I plugged it in, so it may need a little more TLC) but downgrading seemed to fix "all" my issues (well, those I've tested so far).
I also need to say a BIG thank you to Duke for his patience during my order. :)

Duke

Quote from: ayasystems on 18:22, 27 March 18

The second led is blinking..... I need to wait more time?

No, if it keeps blinking, power cycle the CPC.
It should only blink a couple of times.

@Scautura Glad you got it all working, but I doubt it was the firmware that made the change. Most likely edge connector, it can really need more cleaning than it looks.

SOS

Quote from: Duke on 18:15, 27 March 18
Sorry I haven't got around to test myself yet. I have a feeling it may be a heap related issue, so probably easy to fix once I can reproduce.
I created an Image from my non-working SD-Card.
I can upload the Image-File for you, if it's intersting (PM me).

Btw. CubeIOS can read the files without a Problem ;D

Scautura

@Duke Yeah, I have a feeling I need to clean the edge connector a bit more, but getting it working for now is a step (I'm not in the mood to get into the case of my CPC, I just finished cleaning out a load of guano from it being left in my parents' attic for 20 years!  :o  )

Edit: Upgraded again to 2.0.5b1 and... It works perfectly! Dunno what I did, but I'm not going to complain!

ayasystems

I am not able to upgrade and M4 is not working...

I have test with other SD and the same result.

M4FIRM.BIN is loaded and deleted but ESPFIRM still in SD and LED green is blinking.

Can i upgrade the esp with other method?

Duke

Quote from: ayasystems on 20:55, 27 March 18
Can i upgrade the esp with other method?
I am afraid, you can't. The M4 connects directly to SPI Flash lines on the ESP8266, if it doesn't want to reprogram, in all likelyhood the spi flash has gone bad.
Unfortunately it has happened before (known issue due to some crappy SPI flash chips used on some batches of the ESP8266).
Ship it back to me and I will replace it.

ayasystems

I have an esp8266 unit. I can try to change esp8266 to this new esp8266.

Are you agree?? I have the item and the necessary tools. We can avoid spend shipments costs.

Let me know

Regards

Duke

Quote from: ayasystems on 06:32, 28 March 18
I have an esp8266 unit. I can try to change esp8266 to this new esp8266.

Are you agree?? I have the item and the necessary tools. We can avoid spend shipments costs.

Sure, give it a go.

ayasystems

It works!!

M4 is working again! Thanks Duke!!

blackdalek

I have a question: When using the patched lower ROM, do I need to disable it if I want to access my physical disc drive?
I found that after typing |disc to access my drive, I was still getting the SD card directory. I couldn't access my disc drive at all until I disabled the modified lower ROM.
Is this normal behaviour or is there some other method to return to physical disc access while the patched ROM is active?
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.