General Category > Amstrad CPC hardware

Amstrad Diagnostics ROM

(1/17) > >>

llopis:
Hi everybody,

I decided to create a diagnostics ROM for Amstrad CPC (and Plus down the line I suppose). A lot of it was done by combining and enhancing exiting code other people wrote and were kind enough to release (including Gerald with his famous "quick and dirty test"). You can find it here: https://github.com/llopis/amstrad-diagnostics

Right now it does a few things:

* Lower 64KB RAM test.
* Upper 64KB RAM test.
* [Dandanator build only] Check the low system ROM is valid.
* Check that upper system ROMs are valid.
* Detect CRTC model.One of the enhancement over the "quick and dirty" RAM test is that it explains which bits are failing by labeling them. No more forgetting if the LSB is in the top or the bottom!  :D

There's a lot that can be improved, but it's a start. If anybody has any suggestions or even straight contributions, please let me know.

Audronic:

@llopis

Ok Is this the correct screen for a Known good working 6128 with Parados 1.2 rom (Internal)
Thanks for the Diag V0.1
Keep Safe
Ray

Sid_:
This diag rom may be installed on the c4cpc ?

Duke:

--- Quote from: llopis on 18:35, 24 February 21 ---If anybody has any suggestions or even straight contributions, please let me know.
--- End quote ---
Maybe include ram C1/C3 page mapping check. Feel free to use any parts of this https://github.com/M4Duke/z80/blob/master/RAM512KB.s

llopis:

--- Quote from: Audronic on 07:55, 25 February 21 ---Ok Is this the correct screen for a Known good working 6128 with Parados 1.2 rom (Internal)

--- End quote ---
Ha! Technically yes, but I should change it. The purpose of the ROM check is just to make sure the standard ROMs are not corrupted. Right now I walk 0 through 15 and compare them against the CRC of a few known ROMs. So I should check 0 and 7 just to start and maybe get the CRCs for a few more popular ROMs like Parados.

I actually always use standard ROMs, but which ones out there are worth checking against? Parados, SymbiOS? What else?

Actually looking at that it's weird that all of them return the same CRC. Does Parados map the same 16KB in every bank or something? Otherwise something fishy is happening there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version