News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AMSTRAD GX4000 CPC 464 6128 PLUS Reflashable FLASH+ Cartridge

Started by overange, 18:35, 25 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

overange

Here is my design for a reflashable cartridge for the GX4000.

Based on original designs by Chinnery and f1ac0, this Flash+ cartridge is designed so you can quickly reflash it with out the need to open carts, remove proms or have unsightly Switches, Jumpers, Usb or SD Adapters. 

It it fully compatible with Cwiiis' GX4000 3d printed cartridge.

It has 3 options for Amstrad Cartridge Identification -  ACID, XC9536 or 74HC112N.

There is also an option to use Multi Rom selection.

Using its adapter you can place it into your eprom programmer and flash the Cartridge. 

This is V1.0 of the Board, and yeah I forgot to add the VCC and GND to the 74HC112N device, hence the links on the rear.
The Flash ROM used on this board is an ST M29F040B-70K1, I do need to try other variants.
I still need to test the ACID and XC9536 part of the circuit, but it should be ok ;)

Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

GUNHED

Nice! Well, I would like to test your card with a spare ACID I have here at my place. If you're interested please PM / email me.  :)  
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Cwiiis

Ooh, this is really nice, I especially like the 3 options for ID - I've been wanting to test if the CPLD method would help with the stability issues you get with the Plus when using 3rd party carts and expansion cards (all my 3rd party carts use NoACID).

Will you be sharing this design? Would also be nice for cart production to have an open design that uses a more modern and cheaply available memory chip!

Richard_Lloyd

Good stuff.

That memory chip is 512KB which could hold 4 x 128KB ROMs. Is that what you mean by multi-ROM selection?

Cheers, Richard.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

overange

Yes, it will be an open design as technically its Chinnery's and f1ac0's already open designs but redesigned to be flashed via a programmer using the adapter.

I thought why not put all 3 ACID options on one board, and to save space overlap the ACID and 74HC112 positions.

The switching is using the method from f1ac0's design, however the switch used is the Nidec Copal CS-4-13NB for its size.

However, as this board could be cheap to produce, you may have no need to use switching ;)
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

GUNHED

Howdy!

Tests were performed with this great piece of hardware using the ACID chip.
And what I can say: It all works like a charm!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Imho this expansion has two advantages: 
1. It's available
2. It's power consumption is low, so the GX4000 should be able to use it with the regular PSU

Now, back to playing Navy Seals (with trainer of course)...
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

overange

Thats great to hear  ;D 
Thanks so much for wanting to test it.

Just got to see what results the CPLD gives...

GUNHED

Good luck! I'm sure it will work perfectly!  :)

BTW: Can the adaptor be used to read out a conventional cartridge?

Philippe Lardenois

Love the concept of easy reflashable thing....Count me for one.

overange

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:14, 07 April 23Good luck! I'm sure it will work perfectly!  :)

BTW: Can the adaptor be used to read out a conventional cartridge?
Technically yes, but I would have to try it first.

GUNHED

Hi guys! Have been using this great device since quite a while. And it works perfect!

Indeed unopened 6128plus Cartridges can be read out and non-destructive Copies can be made!  :) :) :)

overange

Many thanks for testing it for me.

I've been a bit busy in real life (IRL), but here is the latest version I've created.

It's slightly different from the version that GUNHED has, so it won't be compatible with the newer design.

This latest version offers many onboard options.

In addition to choosing the ACID Methods, you can also select the type of flash device. It can either be fitted with TSOP or PLCC. TSOP tends to be lower cost than the PLCC variant.

I have not tested, and to be honest, I will not support the CPLD ACID Emulation method.
To date, from the sheer number I've made and sold of the original EPROM variants and the small batches of this flash device, I have never encountered any bad feedback or operational problems with the 74HC112 method.

So in the future, when I release the designs, if modifications are needed, someone else can handle that.

As I always intended, the main idea for this cart is to provide software developers with a method to create their own cartridges, a way to test and ensure their software is bug-free at a low price, and help sell their own homebrew games in hardware format.
Or even casual gamers who do not have access to multicarts and want to try different games.

With that said, this cart is ready for purchase if anyone is interested. I still need to work out a pricing structure, but it will be in this format:

Bare PCBs
Pre-built kits, including a Programming Adapter
Assembled cartridge PCBs with NOACID method and TSOP Flash device.

If anyone is interested, please PM me, and we can work something out. Again, once I know I've pretty much covered my costs, etc., and the time is right, the designs will be made available.

overange

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:41, 17 October 23Indeed unopened 6128plus Cartridges can be read out and non-destructive Copies can be made!  :) :) :)

Lets hope someone can find the owner of Chase HQ2 and let the community copy it, err I mean preserve it lol

GUNHED

Absolutely!  :) :) :)

In case you will have some kind of homepage (or anything else) please drop us a link.  :) :) :)  

overange

For additional details on these cartridges, please see my simple webpage at,

https://overange.weebly.com/

Prices are listed

If you have any projects in mind that call for programmable cartridges, whether it's for transforming your homebrew project into a hardware release, testing your code, or building a unique games cartridge collection for your GX4000 or PLUS Machines, I'm here to assist.

I can now provide Cartridge Shells as part of the package, that boast an impressive look and feel.

For those intrigued, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your ideas and projects are important, and I'm here to bring them to life.

Looking forward to collaborating with you all!

roudoudou

Hi
i see prices in uk money, does that mean you will ship from the uk?
cheers
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

overange

Hi,

I am based in the UK and can Shipped Worldwide.

Thanks

Cwiiis

Quote from: overange on 01:17, 15 January 24For additional details on these cartridges, please see my simple webpage at,

Prices are listed

If you have any projects in mind that call for programmable cartridges, whether it's for transforming your homebrew project into a hardware release, testing your code, or building a unique games cartridge collection for your GX4000 or PLUS Machines, I'm here to assist.

I can now provide Cartridge Shells as part of the package, that boast an impressive look and feel.

For those intrigued, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your ideas and projects are important, and I'm here to bring them to life.

Cool to see this service - that cartridge shell looks an awful lot like my design though, which has a licence that forbids commercial use... If I'm wrong, please forgive my mistake - if I'm right, maybe you'd like to send me a message about agreeing some terms of use? (I'm not fishing to get paid, but I wouldn't condone someone selling my design uncredited)

flibblesan

Quote from: overange on 01:17, 15 January 24For additional details on these cartridges, please see my simple webpage at,

Prices are listed

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'll be interested in picking one up at the end of the month.

I assume I can program this with any cheap USB EPROM programmer?

GUNHED

overange

We've had a conversation, and everything is fine – just a small oversight on my part. I failed to mention that the cartridge design in the image is by Cwiiis.
 It's essential to clarify that this extra service to provide the cartridge cases operates on a non-profit basis, solely offering compatible 3D printed cartridges at cost from the manufacturer.
Whether it's the mentioned design or any other freely available designs, this serves as an option for buyers who choose me as their supplier and assembler. 
If you wish for me to provide a cartridge case with your Cartridge PCBs, please specify your preference. It's worth noting that the printing process I employ is slightly more expensive at around £6.50 per shell with discounts for more, but the end result boasts a superior look and feel compared to conventional 3D FDM printed versions.   

If you are creating you own Hardware Homebrew Titles for resale, please remember to give credit were credit is due.

overange

Quote from: flibblesan on 08:41, 16 January 24

Prices are listed

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'll be interested in picking one up at the end of the month.

I assume I can program this with any cheap USB EPROM programmer?

Hi, Sure message me when you are ready :) 

I use the TL866II-PLUS programmer with XGPRO V12.30 and it works great.

I also use a PICO based Eprom programmer made by Ifilot

https://github.com/ifilot/pico-sst39sf0x0-programmer

https://philips-p2000t.nl/tools/pico-sst39sf0x0-programmer.html

This programmer works great with my Cartridge, it was originally design for programming other systems roms like the C64 and 8Bit Philips, but i found it can program my design with no additional mods.

For my cartridge you have to select the BINs manually from the menu bar, but its very easy to use.

I did have the software on this PC, and could of done screen shots, but last month upgraded HDD and have not reinstalled the software yet. :picard:

However, for my Vectrex version, I did a video and you can see it working.

Its also a very good price compared to the other programmer out there and the designer is based in the Netherlands so EU delivery costs should be a lot better than from this side of the pond....

You get the choice of bare self build kit, assembled no case or fully assembled.

Tolkin

Hello, such a nice piece of Hardware :)
Just a stupid question.
Would it be a good idea, to build a "Asic-Cartdridge" as a kind of an adapter?
We need the Asic for the "protection". In my understandig, these little Bastards are the most Problematic pieces. (Maybe a few will thake these out of existing cartridges).
So is it possible to create a "little" Cartridge or a Cartridge AddOn with only the Protection Chips on it. Then the Flash Cartridges wont need an Asic themself, and can be plugged right into the "Asic Card". 

Like a Cartridge looking like the "Sonic&Knuckles" Cartridge for the Sega Mega Drive (First Plugin the "Asic-Cart" and on top the Flash-Cart), only pointing out what i mean like "Bagpacking a Cartridge" :)

Or is this not an option?

Sorry for my bad English :)

Bye
Tolkin

pelrun

It's not necessary; the protection is defeated by a simple 74-series flipflop in the cart, which this design supports.

overange

Quote from: Tolkin on 07:52, 09 February 24Hello, such a nice piece of Hardware :)
Just a stupid question.
Would it be a good idea, to build a "Asic-Cartdridge" as a kind of an adapter?
We need the Asic for the "protection". In my understandig, these little Bastards are the most Problematic pieces. (Maybe a few will thake these out of existing cartridges).
So is it possible to create a "little" Cartridge or a Cartridge AddOn with only the Protection Chips on it. Then the Flash Cartridges wont need an Asic themself, and can be plugged right into the "Asic Card".
Like a Cartridge looking like the "Sonic&Knuckles" Cartridge for the Sega Mega Drive (First Plugin the "Asic-Cart" and on top the Flash-Cart), only pointing out what i mean like "Bagpacking a Cartridge" :)
Or is this not an option?
Sorry for my bad English :)
Bye
Tolkin

Thank you for your kind words.

Originally, my design included an inline adapter, as you mentioned, capable of accommodating the ACID or any other ACID bypass methods. However, it proved more convenient to consolidate all components into a single device.

I've produced numerous carts using the flipflop method without any reported issues.

There are mods where you can wire in a salvaged ACID device internally into the system, but since we have different options available, its not really a viable option.