News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad PCW keyboard on CPC or PC?

Started by zhulien, 19:57, 01 February 23

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

What is the easiest way to make an Amstrad PCW keyboard work on a CPC or PC? 

zhulien

Quote from: zhulien on 19:57, 01 February 23What is the easiest way to make an Amstrad PCW keyboard work on a CPC or PC?

I really really want this type of PCW for my CPC - I counted the keys and the CPC has 1 less key horizontally but the same vertically meaning an actual CPC keyboard might fit in this case with a small gap on left and right - I could probably live with that - then I need to think how to extend the CPC signals out the back - or perhaps convert to PC signals for use on a Just CPC - which uses a PC keyboard.

TotO

May be better to dream and wait some more years the 3D printing technology will allow to do it for our CPC without destroying this nice PCW keyboard for a dirty hack. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

I'm thinking of using the shell only with a CPC keyboard inside - so no destroying, just repurposing.

robcfg

Wouldn't it be easier to build some kind of adapter?

TotO

Yes, it is probably doable to have an adapter to convert the PCW serial data to the CPC or PC.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

It makes a perfect keyboard for those with just cpc, or trex.

PulkoMandy

I am looking to see if I can make an adapter to USB. I will let you know if I can get this working :)

robcfg

Typing on a modern computer with a PCW keyboard is something I'm really looking forward  :D

PulkoMandy

I got something working yesterday. Now I just have to make a nice circuit board for it. It connects to any computer and behaves as a standard USB keyboard.

Who wants one?

Any recommendations for mapping the PCW keys to normal keyboard ones? The USB specification has keys for CANCEL, STOP, etc but I think most modern OS won't handle these easily. And on the other hand, not having cursor keys, num lock, etc is a bit annoying. Is there a reference mapping used by emulators I should match?

robcfg

Niiiiice!

Does it work with the 8256/8512 keyboards too?

PulkoMandy

I think I don't have one for testing (or maybe I have too much stuff and I lost it?). But the protocol is the same, so it should work too.

GUNHED

For my Desktop CPC this keyboard get used...
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Richard_Lloyd

Two for me please!
It will confuse the family.......
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

robcfg

Count me in for one board, please!

zhulien

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 10:13, 08 February 23

I got something working yesterday. Now I just have to make a nice circuit board for it. It connects to any computer and behaves as a standard USB keyboard.

Who wants one?

Any recommendations for mapping the PCW keys to normal keyboard ones? The USB specification has keys for CANCEL, STOP, etc but I think most modern OS won't handle these easily. And on the other hand, not having cursor keys, num lock, etc is a bit annoying. Is there a reference mapping used by emulators I should match?
I'd like 2 - but, with the mappings, please make sure the CPC keys are also all mapped to ok options.  If it is microcontroller based, perhaps an inbuilt key combination (control+shfit+1, 2, 3 etc) could perhaps change between alternate mappings if you need more than one?

PulkoMandy

I'm not sure what you mean, do you have any specific suggestions for the keyboard mapping? Before deciding if we need to make this complicated with multiple mapping options, maybe let's see what the first option would look like.

zhulien

For me, I'd prefer UK keyboard mapping :D  But then there are a couple of keys on PCW that don't seem to have equivalents on CPC - such as that CAN? CUT, DEL->, PTR, EXIT, EXTRA (could be mapped to CONTROL), +, -

and missing from PCW when compared to CPC - F9?  | (bar),  CONTROL

TotO

@zhulien DEL-> and DEL<- are probably related to CLR and DEL on CPC (same location).

STOP = ESC
TAB = TAB
SHIFT LOCK = CAPS LOCK
SHIFT = SHIFT
ALT = CONTROL
EXTRA = COPY (ALT)

To properly remap the PCW keys for the CPC usage, it will be interresting to understand how the keyboard works.
In example, I don't know how the user switch from the numpad to the arrow keys, on this computer. ALT/EXTRA?

PC usage for the custom keys:

CUT = CTRL + X
COPY = CTRL + C
PASTE = CTRL + V
CAN = CTRL + Z
EXIT = CTRL + Q
PTR = CTRL + P

[ + ] and [ - ] to the OS and MENU keys.

PulkoMandy

Hello!

It took a bit of time because I wanted to batch the order with other things to save on shipping costs. But today I have ordered the PCBs for this.

I made it quite small, see the attached 3D rendering. There is the USB port (classic USB B) and next to it will be the DIN connector for the keyboard (not shown because I don't have a 3D model for it). All the electronics are surface mounted on the underside, with the main chip neatly fitting under the DIN (these connectors are super large by modern standards).

There will be a bootloader on the chip, that should make it possible to reflash it from the USB port, if you want to change the keyboard layout it can be done this way.

I ordered enough PCBs and components to make 10 of them for now, so I think there is room for a few more orders.

You cannot view this attachment.

genesis8

robcfg

PulkoMandy

I received the PCBs this week and... I put the DIN connector backwards. Not only the connector is on the wrong edge of the board (so other components get in the way of connecting the keyboard), but I also mirrored the pins so 5V is where ground should be...  :doh:

I patched one of the adapters and it's working, but I don't want to assemble and sell them in this state. So I will have to make a new PCB version and wait a few weeks for it to be delivered. Until then, I will work on the firmware upgrade system so it's reasonably easy to update them with new keyboard mappings when everyone complains about my choice of mapping to PC keys  :laugh:

zhulien

Awesome progress still.  Is it at the state we can start looking for a good quality pcw keyboard?

PulkoMandy

The software is working (including the bootloader). o it's only a matter of ordering new PCBs, and completing the user manual. It will not happen this week (too busy), but probably sometime this month (and then I have to wait 3 weeks for the circuit boards)