News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RGB output to Component TV input

Started by redbox, 14:50, 11 November 13

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Is the RGB signal from a classic CPC (or Plus) compatible with the RGB "component" input you find on some TVs?

For example, would it be possible to create a cable like this one for the Wii?

And would the picture quality be better than via SCART (as is the case with the Wii)...?

The Last Bandit

Nope.

RGB is a type of 'component' TV signal and YPbPr which is what those Wii cables are is another type of 'component' cable - however the two are not the same and are not compatible.

The red, green and blue colour they use on those cables is a bit misleading as they don't refer to the actually colour signals.

Quailty wise, RGB is as good as you'll get out of the Amstrad.

Bryce

I'll try really hard to keep this short and understandable:

Component video is a complicated bunch of colour space standards, with several different variations. The most common are:

YPBPR = Analogue version - most likely to work with a CPC, but would need more than just a cable - electronics needed.
YCBCR = Digital version - more difficult for a CPC to manage and needs even more electronics.
SoG = Sony rubbish that added the Sync signal to the green signal, also known as RGSB.

Due to the fact that component video keeps things separated, the resulting picture should be slightly better than S-Video, but about equal to SCART. However, I would assume that most TVs with Component video inputs don't allow frequencies below VGA (31KHz), so a scan-doubler would be needed for it to work with the CPCs 15KHz picture.

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: The Last Bandit on 15:11, 11 November 13
Quailty wise, RGB is as good as you'll get out of the Amstrad.

Ok thanks.

I need to make a sync stripper then :)

The Last Bandit

What are you trying to connect the Amstrad up to ?

redbox

Quote from: The Last Bandit on 15:27, 11 November 13
What are you trying to connect the Amstrad up to ?

Just a 6128.  I already have it connected via SCART, but I get a bit of wobble now and then.   I also have a S-Video modulator so might use that.

I just noticed the Composite inputs on my TV (and remembered the Wii cable) so thought it was worth a mention as I couldn't find any information about it on the net anywhere for the CPC :)

emuola

Quote from: redbox on 15:16, 11 November 13
Ok thanks.

I need to make a sync stripper then :)

The sync stripper (Sync Strike) resolved all my problems with wobbly scart picture. The image is now rock solid and very good indeed.
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

dragon

So, adapter euroconector-> rca not work?.(the gx 4000 work). My computer monitor is a old philips 170T only rca,component, and rf.

The Last Bandit

I don't think the CPC's output composite video so those SCART/RCA adapters won't work. 

The sync strike is probably just fixing a grounding issue with your cable than anything else.

Bryce

A sync stripper is normally used to extract a clean, raw sync signal from a composite video (RCA / CVBS / FBAS / whatever you like to call it) signal. The CPC already provides an almost raw csync signal, so it shouldn't need one. The only effect the stripper would have is to possibly amplify the peak voltages of the sync pulses. which may help if your sync pulse isn't to the correct voltage, your connections are bad or if you decided to make a 10 metre long SCART cable. It doesn't correct the frequency, nor does it do any other secret magic that might improve the picture, so there really should be no need for it on a CPC.
As The Last Bandit stated, the CPC only outputs RGB or a pure LUM signal for green screens. It doesn't produce a composite signal.

@Dragon: Yes, the GX4000 does supply a composite signal on the SCART socket, but standard CPCs (including the Plus) don't.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 14:39, 14 November 13
@Dragon: Yes, the GX4000 does supply a composite signal on the SCART socket, but standard CPCs (including the Plus) don't.
One exception : French GX4000 does not supply composite video signal on the SCART, only a composite sync signal.
Thanks to the removal of the RF modulator, they also removed the RGB to composite converter.
French GX4000 SCART is pure RGB, no trade-off on video quality  :laugh:

Bryce

Interesting, didn't know that. I wonder was that due to not wanting to support SECAM?

Bryce.

TFM

Probably not. Amstrad was always into saving money IMO.

Edit: However not of cost of functionality. My CPCs work well since 30 years nearly, there's not much hardware with that long life cycle.  :) 
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

In France it's obligatory, that all colour TV have a RGB scart connector, so why build-in a HF modulator or something like that, when all colour-TV have a RGB connector?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 20:31, 14 November 13
Interesting, didn't know that. I wonder was that due to not wanting to support SECAM?

In fact, as Markus pointed, SCART (Peritel) became mandatory on all TV sold in France since1980.
So Amstrad saved on the modulator and ancillary function (like the RGB to composite)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus