News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AMX 3 button mouse with joystick port interface

Started by blackdalek, 11:13, 06 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

blackdalek

I suddenly remembered I had an AMX mouse. After some digging around in the work shed, I found it.
I plugged it in and it seems to still be working.

Then I discovered there is a small button on the left side of the mouse. I don't remember what this button is for, or remember ever using it.
What is this mystery button on the side for?
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Bryce

There wasn't a button on the side of the original AMX mouse, are you sure it hasn't been modded?

Bryce.

blackdalek

It hasn't been modded. It doesn't seem to do anything that I can see so I am not even sure if it's even connected. I'll try take a photo.
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

blackdalek

button on the side -

underneath -

The interface -

Bryce

That's not an AMX mouse. The interface is original, but the mouse isn't. Original AMX Mouses/Mice/Meece had sharper edges and red buttons that didn't go to the edge of the mouse.

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

Coincidentally, I am working my way thru the early Amstrad Computer User magazines and on page 3 of issue 13 there is a picture of the beast.

Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

However, when I think about it.
Years after AMS had left the CPC, MJC supplies were still selling the AMX mouse and Stop Press as a package.
Maybe they replaced the original mouse with another when the stocks ran out?

Cheers,

Peter

blackdalek

I bought this mouse from an advert in Amstrad Action some time during its final few years. I can't remember the supplier, but it was sold as AMX and came with some software which I have since lost.

Bryce

They obviously ran out of the originals and repurposed a different model. You can see what the originals looked like here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/AMX_Mouse

Bryce.

blackdalek

I see.

I also did a quick google image search for "amstrad CPC mouse" and could not find one single mouse that looks like mine.

Now I want to know if anyone else has one like mine or knows anything about it. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what's inside (and if the side button serves any purpose.)

Does the wiki have a section for obscure peripherals? Perhaps my (apparently unique) AMX mouse could be added :P

Bryce

Quote from: blackdalek on 13:17, 06 February 18
Does the wiki have a section for obscure peripherals?

They're all obscure, so we just call it peripherals. :D

I think the original AMX mouse was contracted out to Genius, so maybe yours is also from them. It would be interesting to see if there is a manufacturers name on the PCB.

Bryce.

blackdalek

OK. I couldn't wait until tomorrow. Had a look inside the mouse.

The PCB has the name "MIDASONIC" on it. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Also I solved the mystery of the 4th side button. I couldn't get it to do anything because there is no physical switch behind the button!

ComSoft6128

blackdalek

So the PCB was made by a Taiwan company, but that clear case "level mouse" looks nothing like mine ;)

blackdalek

I'm just browsing through some late issues of AA, looking at adverts to try and jog my memory.

I have a feeling I might have ordered this mouse through the O.J. Software advert.

robcfg

I scanned the PCB of an AMX Mouse for the PCW and it is a Logitech mouse.

Check the pictures on the PCW Wiki.

ComSoft6128

Bryce

But they had a mouse with a side button, so the probably used your case for several models: http://www.tcocd.de/Pictures/Peripheral/Unknown/fancymouse.shtml

Bryce.

blackdalek

A search of the FCC ID number on the bottom brings up this - https://fccid.io/G7A3HSF840

Maniac

This is the type of mouse I have with my AMX interface. After all these years I really can't remember where I got it from!

blackdalek

Quote from: Maniac on 21:40, 09 February 18
This is the type of mouse I have with my AMX interface. After all these years I really can't remember where I got it from!

I'm glad someone else has one of these. I was beginning to think I was the only one  :o

I have a hunch I bought mine through O.J. Software.... but honestly, I can't remember exactly.