News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AMX mouse USB - just a new batch and videos... see the end

Started by talrek, 17:47, 05 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

talrek

So,
it's been a long time and one of ||C|-|E||'s  video

So it gave me the envy to make one myself, to see what people can do with the Bryce's USB Mouse Adapter  :o

If you have videos of in-game or other application, i'm interested in that.

And btw i have a small quantity of adapters :laugh: : 25€ each + 2,50€ for france, 6,50€ for worlwide

Bryce

Nice to see that you're still building them. I may still have the video from when I tested the original prototype with OCP.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000X mit Tapatalk.

JonB

Looks good!

||C|-|E||

It is definitely a very cool piece of hardware that makes handling a lot of apps much faster and easier. I always have mine connected  :D

keith56

Do we have any example ASM code of how to read an AMX mouse properly - I understand it works like a weird joystick - but I've never owned one to know what they actually do!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

talrek

Quote from: Bryce on 01:35, 07 March 17
Nice to see that you're still building them. I may still have the video from when I tested the original prototype with OCP.

Bryce.

Well... yes i still produce some in very little quantities near  20 a year  :laugh: or on demand.
For me it is a really useful device, for some games, utilities or under SymbOs, FutureOs for example.
Between this adapter and the Dk'tronics clone adapter, i choose yours !!!! i use it more often (it is always connected).

Tolkin

Hy Talrek,
i try your device this Weekend and i´m still in love. (With the little Hardware-thing on my CPC  :D )
I played Arkanoid, and Just a few secods ago Rock n Roll for two hours. And it plays perfect!
I tried a few games like 1943, Scramble Spirits, Flying Shark and other Shmups, which works good, other feeling, but good.

At first i have to found a PS2 compatible Mouse. My Logitech and a few other wont work, because they are not PS2 compatible.

Is there a chart where compatible Mice are checked.
Mine is a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A and it worked perfect.
The OEM Logitech (HP) MSU 1053 i tried before are not working.
Or does somone know how can we check before buying, if a mouse is compatible?

Thanks for the Mouse Adapte :)

Tolkin

Hy,
i just tried my self build Aimtrak Light gun... It is not PS2-Mouse compatible :( So it does not work...

Would be funny playing Operation Wolf with a I/R Light Gun...

Bryce

Any two or three button mouse with or without scrollwheel should work. It will have problems with mice that have extra features like lots of extra buttons or hi-res gaming modes, because they rarely support legacy P/S2 Mode and would require its own driver.

Bryce.

Bryce

When the first USB devices came out, they were almost all PS/2 compatible, but much less of the modern devices are. Microsoft mice seem to have stuck with compatibility longer than others. The list is a useful resource for getting a working device. Unfortunately, my mouse adapter doesn't have enough RAM to support even a basic USB mouse driver :(

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I will take a picture of the Logitech mouse I am using at home :). It is good, widely available and cheap.

Tolkin

Hy||C|-|E||,
on Amazon here in Germany they are still obsolete, and crazy guys take up to 75 Euro for a new one ... My M$ Wheel Optical 1.1A they take 50 Euro for new ones... I boutght it a few years ago for a few bucks...
The prices for this older stuff getting crazier all the time.
So a List for this stuff is very helpful.

||C|-|E||

Eh? I bought mine just for a few pounds. I think it was in Ebay UK but I will check again. It was really cheap, that is for sure. What a rip off!

keith56

There's a PS2 mouse for sale on amazon for 6 pounds, am I missing something?

I understand many usb mice no longer support ps2 converters, but do all PS2 mice work with this bit of kit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Perixx-PERIMICE-Wired-Optical-Button-800dpi-Resolution/B000TAR608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489459300&sr=8-1&keywords=ps2+mouse

talrek

:o :o I was not aware about this speculation...

are white mice more expensive than black mice ?  ;D

Quote from: keith56 on 03:43, 14 March 17

I understand many usb mice no longer support ps2 converters, but do all PS2 mice work with this bit of kit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Perixx-PERIMICE-Wired-Optical-Button-800dpi-Resolution/B000TAR608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489459300&sr=8-1&keywords=ps2+mouse
All PS/2 mice i have tested work with the adapter... So, it seems...

Skunkfish

Got myself a Microsoft Basic Optical mouse for £7.20 on Amazon (also comes with a USB>PS/2 adapter)

Seems to work, although movement seems a little slow in SymbOS.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

keith56

Bryce

Quote from: keith56 on 03:43, 14 March 17

Yes, all PS/2 mice will work on the device.

Bryce.

talrek

One more parameter is the mouse sensitivity. i also noticed that the speed is not the same depending on the mouse model/technology (optical, ball...)
So on symbos for example, you can have the feeling it is slow with one mouse, and faster with another...

in my case i prefer a "ball" mouse  ;D

Bryce

My adapter firmware sets the mouse to it's lowest possible resolution so that it works as closely to an AMX mouse as possible. This may seem slow, but allows you to accurately point and click on the pulldown menus. However some mice will still be a little too fast as their lowest speed is higher.

Bryce.

keith56

I've ordered one, and will be interested to try programming for it - so maybe there'll be a special 'mouse control' version of Chibi Akumas.

I see there's some programming info here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/AMX_Mouse

Though Winape's support seems a bit buggy, even fullscreen the mouse seemed to hit an invisible 'wall' and woudn't scroll further - I think maybe it's having trouble because I'm using multimonitor?

I decided to go 'full retro' and bought a ball mouse from the local "Hard Off" - it cost 100 yen (70p) but it was the last ps2 mouse there - so I guess they are getting rare!

Bryce

There's no real programming required. It more or less just emulates the joystick inputs, so moving the mouse X millimeters to the right would be the equivalent of pushing a joystick X amount of times to the right and so on.

Bryce.