News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

And while we're at it.. wtf is this?

Started by Bryce, 12:20, 10 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Post the details on the Wiki, if you find them. Maybe I'll build a few if anyones interested :o)

Bryce.

MacDeath

Something that makes CPC runs slowlier ? WTF ? no really need for this lol...

Well, perhaps an extension that force many interuptions ?

Bryce

It's probably using the CLK pin to insert wait states in each cycle or something similar. We'll know when arnoldemu finds the schematic.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 15:37, 10 September 10
It's probably using the CLK pin to insert wait states in each cycle or something similar. We'll know when arnoldemu finds the schematic.

Bryce.
well I'll have a good rummage through my documents. Hopefully I'll find this one, if not I'll find some info on some other slomo devices.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

MacDeath

My Amstrads are slow enough thx you... ;D

Bryce

Interesting and pretty simple, it's just "messsing" with the Ready signal to slow things down, but it doesn't sync with the CPCs clock signal, so the delay could be "un-even", ie: some commands run at full speed, some delayed.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 15:37, 10 September 10

Bryce.

A looong time ago, I built a similar but better device, which is able to reduce speed as much as you like - using a poti. It uses the wait pin of the cpu. Runs without problems. It was described in an old Happy Computer issue.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:37, 13 September 10
My Amstrads are slow enough thx you... ;D

Slow? Not at all :-)) The coder makes the speed :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

The Ready signal on the Expansion Port is the Wait signal on the CPU, Amstrad just decided to re-label it. The Spanish magazine uses this to slow the CPC as well, just I don't think they implimented it very well, because it's kind of random.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:54, 10 September 10
well I'll have a good rummage through my documents. Hopefully I'll find this one, if not I'll find some info on some other slomo devices.
I looked through my old e-mails and files and found nothing.
I did a search on comp.sys.amstrad.8bit and came up with an article where Andreas Grosche mentioned he had one and would send me a picture of it:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.amstrad.8bit/browse_thread/thread/5783088864d7ac41/8b30ea685913209c?lnk=gst&q=slomo#8b30ea685913209c

I remember saving this picture to my computer, but I don't have it anymore.

Reading through the other posts, I am sure it works the same.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

So with all of these they use the wait signal. This means that the video should continue without interruption.
However, this does mean, that demos that use rupture can't be stopped, because the rupture would be broken.
My games. My Games

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 08:57, 14 September 10
The Ready signal on the Expansion Port is the Wait signal on the CPU.
Bryce.

Ah thanks!  :)  You are the hardware expert, glad to have you here!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

OCT

TFM

Maybe I shall sell mine too, but the good thing is I can slow down the CPC stepless.
TFM of FutureSoft

CPCIak

Could someone scan the HappyComputer or CPCAI article, please.

TFM

The Happy Computer one works fine.
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

I never saw the point of these slow motion thingies, the CPC is slow enough as it is. If anyone is interested in a plan / layout for this kind of thing, then let me know and I'll do one up.

Bryce.

robcfg

Well, it is useful if you have trouble with Orion Prime's minigames...  :D

Might sound evil, but I'm only joking, hehehe!

TFM

In the old times such a slowdown has been very useful for debugging. Having said this, I must admit, that emus are way more efficient in debugging today. (Even if I don't like that fact).
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Emulators are good if you don't own the real hardware, but I've never understood people who have a real CPC packed away in a box and choose to use the emulator instead. It's like owning a Ferrari that's parked in the garage, but then staying at home to play Need For Speed.

Bryce.